Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to launch a trio of new products with Mini-LED backlights over the next two years, including a 31.6" display in the second or third quarter of 2019, a 10-12" iPad in late 2020 or early 2021, and a 15-17" MacBook in the first half of 2021, according to well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

thunderbolt-display-800x614.jpg
Apple's discontinued Thunderbolt Display

An excerpt from Kuo's research note, obtained by MacRumors:
We believe that mini LED, compared to OLED, will be a more suitable solution to offer wide-color gamut (WCG)/high-contrast/high dynamic range (HDR)/local dimming features because of its longer life and no burn-in issues for Apple's medium- and large-size products targeting at productivity positions.

We forecast that Apple will respectively launch an all-new design 31.6-inch monitor, a 10-12 inch iPad and a 15-17 inch MacBook equipped with a mini LED backlight unit (BLU) in 2-3Q19, 4Q20-1Q21 and 1-2Q21.
Kuo believes that the 31.6-inch display "will target a very high-end position" and feature an "all-new design."

In a previous research note, Kuo predicted that Apple would launch both a 31.6-inch display and a 16-16.5" MacBook Pro in 2019, so it's not entirely clear if the 15-17" MacBook refers to a separate notebook or if Kuo now believes the 16-16.5" MacBook Pro is coming a few years later than he originally expected.

Article Link: Kuo: New 31.6" Apple Display in 2019 and 15-17" MacBook in 2021 to Feature Mini-LED Backlights [Updated]

Last edited:

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I have this feeling the 13-inch MacBook Pro’s days are numbered. The new Air will be the new definitive 13-inch laptop as the new MBP will give Pro users the choice between 15” and 17” once again in Apple’s future lineup.

That sounds good to me. I’m probably one of the few who’d actually like a 17” laptop. Powerful like a desktop but still portable. Perfect combo for me :)

chilly willy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Dang. So does this mean I should stop waiting for a new MBP unless I want to wait 2 more years?
Depends. Some are happy with current gen, some are not. Clearly a divide as to keyboard issues and such. I'd read the informed reviews on here, as there a lot of threads. Sadly, much is taken up by "Apple bad, Steve Jobs would do things differently & Tim Cook Sucks" & "Thou shall not criticize Apple lest ye not be a true Apple or Mac afficiando"

Good luck. I'm holding out for better specs , new processors etc., and new keyboard.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I have this feeling the 13-inch MacBook Pro’s days are numbered. The new Air will be the new definitive 13-inch laptop as the new MBP will give Pro users the choice between 15” and 17” once again in Apple’s future lineup.

The 13” MacBook Pro is probably Apples best selling Mac by a country mile. For such a move to work, Apple would need to significantly reduce the cost to build and price points of the 15” model.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
But again, Apple will be sttupid not to release a new 17" MBP in todays design, when everybody is starting making with slim bezels into a more compact form
Apples motto for the 17" MBP - The tomorrow 17" MBP is todays 15" MBP

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
And just like every other laptop released by Apple since 2015, if it has that butterfly keyboard I won't be buying it. Even if the keyboard was improved to be like the 2015 MacBook Pro versions, it still always irked me that the old 17" laptops (of which I probably owned 6 or so over the years) didn't include a numeric pad. The 17" laptop's tiny keyboard always looked "wrong" surrounded by so much aluminum on the left and right...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The 13” MacBook Pro is probably Apples best selling Mac by a country mile. For such a move to work, Apple would need to significantly reduce the cost to build and price points of the 15” model.

I don’t have data in front of me, but I would bet the MacBook Air is Apple’s best selling laptop of all time, especially at $999. Not saying that the MBP wasn’t a best seller at some point in time, but I think overall, the Air would have edged it by now.

And I don’t think Apple would have to reduce the build cost for the 15”. Just look at how much more of a premium the iMac Pro is from the regular iMac. It’s huge. Or even from the iPad Pro from the new iPad Air. The iPad Pro is a 60% markup from the iPad Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.