Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is already working on its second-generation AR headset, which will feature a lighter design, adopt a new battery system, and a faster processor, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today in an investor note obtained by MacRumors.

apple-mixed-reality-headset-mockup-feature-purple.jpg

Apple is widely expected to launch its first-generation AR-focused device in 2022. That device has been previously reported to feature a processor with Mac-level computing power and will be usable independent from an iPhone, according to Kuo.

Highlighting Apple's long-term goals in AR and the "metaverse," Kuo said today that the development of the second generation of the headset is already underway and destined for launch in 2024. It will feature a lighter design compared to the first headset, as well as a new battery system, according to the analyst.
Apple has begun planning for the second-generation AR/MR headset, and the shipment schedule will likely be in 2H24. Improvements for the second generation include the lighter weight, form factor design, battery system, and processor compared to the first model, which will go to mass production in late 4Q22.
In his note today, Kuo also shared some new details about the first generation of Apple's AR headset, including that it will weigh around 300 to 400g and that it will be able to "seamlessly switch between AR and VR to provide an innovative headset experience."

Apple's first AR headset is expected to be a somewhat niche product aimed largely towards developers with a focus on communication, media consumption, and gaming. Apple's AR headset product line could ultimately replace the iPhone in 10 years, according to Kuo.

The first generation of Apple's AR headset is one of multiple new products Apple is expected to announce in 2022, including five new Macs, three new Apple Watches, updates to the iPhone lineup, and more. Catch up on everything we know about Apple's AR headset using our roundup.

Article Link: Kuo: Second-Generation Apple AR Headset to Launch in 2024 With Lighter Design, Redesigned Battery System, and More

Last edited:

MayaUser

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2021
So we already have to wait for the second gen...thats what KUO is saying to us ?:)))
Lets wait to see how this will be appreciated ....why we talk about second gen when the first isnt even out..remember airpower ?! :))

Reactions: amartinez1660

kanki1985

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
Ummm.. errr... Is that not how things go on that a company has a 3-4 year product pipeline that they are already working on and ofcourse the second gen will be better than first gen?
And may be the first gen will launch when the 3rd or 4th gen product is being worked on??

MayaUser

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2021
Might be in 2023 then if 2nd generation is set for 2024, LOL
Remember...the first gen will be probably shown at WWDC and release to the public in early 2023...
There are always around 6 months between a presentation and release date of a totally new device category

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
If the first one isn't even out yet, why don't they use that lighter design for the first generation? I hate when they hold out new features so people would upgrade. Put out the best product you can at the time and make improvements from there.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2018
USA
The first generation is not even out yet... We have no idea if the first generation is even launching next year.

I thought it was reported it is set to launch next year?

Mr. Kuo: This might make more sense since Tim Cook may be retiring in the year 2024?
I don’t think Cook is retiring until after they put out an EV. I thought he even hinted at some time after 2030.

Reactions: valleian

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Lol, okay. The first generation hasn’t even flopped in the marketplace yet, but Apple is already working on the 2nd generation. Riiiignt. Whatever you say, Ming-Chi.

Slartibart

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2020
maybe MR should consider introducing a weekly “meanwhile in other news”-post, where these kind of information is posted?

Or sees MR it as a necessity to post at least something every n hours?

Of course I understand that there is a strong hint in MR’s name about posting these kind of things ?, but maybe some editorial rethinking about wether comments from a source about the nth generation parameters/characteristics of an actually first generation product rumour are indeed ”rumour-worthy” is to consider?

AlexESP

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
As far as I can remember, this is the first time we hear about a 2nd gen version of an Apple product which is not revealed. A new milestone in Apple rumors history :)

laptech

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Apple can even talk about a 3rd gen or 4th gen AR/VR headset being worked on and people will still purchase the 1st gen rather than wait for the better models to arrive because Apple knows it's fan base will purchase anything that gets released. Macrumours members are evidence of that where they make posts saying they have gone out and purchased the iphone 12 or newly released M1 macbook then 1 year later the iphone 13 and M1 Pro and M1 Max is released and these same members make posts saying they have upgraded which results in other members asking why, because their current device is only 1yr old with the upgraders replying with all sorts of reasons and excuses why they need to upgrade to the latest even though they purchased a device which is less than one year old.

With this reasoning, Apple knows their fan base will purchase the 1st Gen AR headset even though 2nd Gen is in the works because their fan base will upgrade as soon as the 2nd gen is released.

Reactions: Damian83

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
What surprised me most about this rumor is that not only it's hard to believe a company can do so much better than competition, considering battery, size, weight, technology available and so on, but according to this indiscretion Apple can already do better than that.
This, to me, is incredibly hard to believe.
So what, competition have been sleeping in the past couple of years?

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
If the first one isn't even out yet, why don't they use that lighter design for the first generation? I hate when they hold out new features so people would upgrade. Put out the best product you can at the time and make improvements from there.
Thats how product development work , If they wait for the lighter version it wont be out this year , lighter weight device also means better battery tech , better processor (more advanced node for sure) , better display tech , all of those are in development today , the fact its not out does not mean anything to the engineering side of things , they cannot magically put gen2 tech today without delaying the launch of the product , which by then Gen3 will be deep in the works , should they then wait for Gen3 ?

Also they will 100% try and make a splash with a new device , so no doubt that they will pack the best of the best they can put into a new category product line and hold nothing back , the improvements will happen naturally until the product matures , so no real need to hold anything back , there is a LONG way to go before this rumored product line will be matured enough to think about holding back features.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
I predict another update in 2026. But will change my prediction in case of any unforeseen events.

And you won‘t believe how the AR/VR set will be in 2028!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.