Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new research note today, obtained by MacRumors, that outlines several predictions about Apple's upcoming products, including new iPhone, iPad Pro, Apple Watch, and MacBook models.

kuo-sep-12.jpg

Kuo expects Apple to replace Lightning with a USB-C interface on 2018 iPad Pro models, with an 18W power adapter in the box. That sure sounds like the next iPad Pro will have a USB-C port, instead of a Lightning connector, but to play devil's advocate, there's a chance he is just referring to a USB-C charger.
In addition to Face ID support, we expect the new iPad Pro models' main upgrade to include replacing Lightning with a USB-C interface and bundling with a new unibody design 18W power adapter, which cancels the removable plug design...
Kuo adds that 2018 iPhone models will retain the Lightning connector and remain bundled with a 5W power adapter, not the widely rumored 18W power adapter with a USB-C port, which could be for 2018 iPad Pro models after all.

His research note with TF International Securities adds that Apple's widely anticipated lower-priced MacBook may replace the current 12-inch MacBook. Again, the wording is somewhat ambiguous, so it's unclear if Kuo means the 12-inch MacBook will be refreshed, or if it will be entirely replaced.

Kuo expects the new lower-priced MacBook to support Touch ID fingerprint authentication, but without a full-out Touch Bar, which remains exclusive to select 13- and 15-inch models of the 2016 and later MacBook Pro:
The new low-price MacBook may replace the position of the current 12" MacBook. We expect this new model to support the Touch ID but it will not have the Touch Bar. Everwin Precision is the main beneficiary because it is the first time this company will enter the Mac casing supply chain and its shipments account for 20% of the new MacBook model's D parts.
As far as the Apple Watch Series 4 lineup is concerned, Kuo believes all models will feature ceramic backs, whereas GPS-only Series 3 have composite backs. Kuo also believes Series 4 models will have electrocardiography (ECG/EKG) functionality.
The new Apple Watch models will have narrower bezels, support electrocardiography (ECG), and all be equipped with ceramic backs (currently, some models are equipped with composite backs). We believe the new Apple Watch models will attract more users on supporting ECG. The ECG supplier is Osram (LED design)...
Kuo also said production of the rumored 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD has been postponed to late September to early October due to quality issues with the assembly and display, echoing a report from Mark Gurman earlier today.

Last, Kuo still expects Apple's long-awaited AirPower charging mat and new AirPods to be released by the end of the year.

Article Link: Kuo: USB-C on 2018 iPad Pro, Touch ID on 2018 MacBook, EKG and Ceramic Backs on All Apple Watch Series 4 Models, More

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Ceramic back = even higher than expected price hike :eek:

EDIT: untrue, wasn't aware most models had ceramic backs already :)

Last edited:

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
"Low-cost Macbook", anybody else noticed a theme with Cooks Apple and price lately? It certainly ain't in that direction. The laptop line up is comically fragmented, it is as bad as the many version of Windows Vista Jobs derided Microsoft over.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I really wish Apple would finally go USB-C on the iPhone too. That alone would make me upgrade. Have standardized connectors for iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro would be extremely convenient. I wonder if USB-C is added in the 2018 iPad Pro, if that port would support Thunderbolt 3? It does not on a $1299 MacBook so I assume not. Apple should not be asking $1300 for a 12" laptop with the specs it has. That's an $800 notebook tops.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
iPad Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac: no lightning ports; USB-C ports.

Standard iPad, iPhones, Airpods, Apple Pencil, Apple Mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboards: no USB-C ports; lightning ports/connectors

Current-gen MacBook Air, Mac Pro, Mac Mini: neither (though all three are rumoured to be updated shortly, likely to include USB-C ports)

Apple Watch: no ports; magnetic charger

There is too much fragmentation here...

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Too bad Lightning is sticking around on the iPhone. USB-C, ceramic backs and ECG functionality are all pretty interesting updates.

Reactions: yoyo kayak

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Series 3 as the base model and the Series 4 be a higher tier device, both with ceramic backs. Series 1 discontinued.

I can't see the 'new' Macbook be lower priced and also include Touch ID....

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Too bad Lightning is sticking around on the iPhone. USB-C, ceramic backs and ECG functionality are all pretty interesting.

Not a chance in hell Apple replaces Lightning on the iPad. It doesn't make sense: if I were traveling with all updated Apple products I would need a Lightning cable for my iPhone and a USB-C cable for my iPad. Why?!
[doublepost=1536590037][/doublepost]
iPad Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac: no lightning ports; USB-C ports.

Standard iPad, iPhones, Airpods, Apple Pencil, Apple Mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboards: no USB-C ports; lightning ports/connectors

Current-gen MacBook Air, Mac Pro, Mac Mini: neither (though all three are rumoured to be updated shortly, likely to include USB-C ports)

Apple Watch: no ports; magnetic charger

There is too much fragmentation here...

Don't forget all the Apple accessories have Lightning ports: Magic Mouse/Keyboard, AirPods, Beats, etc. It makes no sense to switch the iPad to USB-C.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I really doubt Apple is going to change iPads from Lightning to USB-C.

Besides the fact that there isn't really any good reason for the change, the USB-C plug is larger than Lightning, and Apple is obsessed with using the smallest components possible.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Not a chance in hell Apple replaces Lightning on the iPad. It doesn't make sense: if I were traveling with all updated Apple products I would need a Lightning cable for my iPhone and a USB-C cable for my iPad. Why?!
[doublepost=1536590037][/doublepost]

Don't forget all the Apple accessories have Lightning ports: Magic Mouse/Keyboard, AirPods, Beats, etc. It makes no sense to switch the iPad to USB-C.
Well you already need USB-C for your MacBook if you’re traveling with all updated Apple products. It does get confusing though because Lighting and USB-C look similar at a glance.

afawaz3

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2018
anyone else wondering if USB-C in new iPad pros means a new Apple Pencil? because they really push fast charging that pencil through the iPad, but that won't be possible anymore... (not that it was good design to begin with, but carrying that little lighting adaptor is a hassle)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.