Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Interested in iMac updates. Hopefully we hear more about that soon.

Also I love Apple's 12" Macbook...wish I had gone for that over my Macbook Pro honest. Gonna be real bummed if they start making major changes to it.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
"As far as the Apple Watch Series 4 lineup is concerned, Kuo believes all models will feature ceramic rear casing, rather than aluminum or stainless steel, whereas just the high-end Edition model is ceramic in the Series 3 lineup."

No, he's not talking about the casing. He's talking about the sensor cover, which is already ceramic on the stainless steel watch and aluminium LTE versions.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
USB-C on iPad, unlikely, although this would be great.

Just don't see it happening at this point.

(actually, what would be great is TB3 :D )

Reactions: gnomeisland

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
They included a MagSafe adapter with their display when they changed it way back in the day; I assume they could just throw another adapter in the box.

Could be, but also it would be such an inelegant solution. Plus, cue all the jokes about dongles/adapters

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
anyone else wondering if USB-C in new iPad pros means a new Apple Pencil? because they really push fast charging that pencil through the iPad, but that won't be possible anymore... (not that it was good design to begin with, but carrying that little lighting adaptor is a hassle)

The Apple Pencil should have had a female USB-C port to begin with. That way if your pencil is low on battery life, you can just use a cable, plug it in to the iPad, and you're still able to use it.

Why they chose a male Lightning connector for the pencil is beyond me.

Last edited:

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Could be, but also it would be such an inelegant solution. Plus, cue all the jokes about dongles/adapters

Apple seems to like dongles lately... :rolleyes: I was just commenting that they have done something similar in the past.

Personally, I think they're just changing the (charging) brick from USB-A to USB-C.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder when these products will release? It says 2018 but Kuo doesn’t say what products will be announced/released at Wednesdays event.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
It most probably is the charging lead and plug bundled with the iPads, so a USB-C plug and a lightning to USB-C cable. iPads will still be lightning.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Who cares about USB-C on iPhone? That just means I need to buy new/more cables and that I get to trash all my lightning cables and adapters that I have already spent money on? I, like most iPhone owners, don't have a Macbook. But if I did, I know I'd have a bag of adapters and cables to interface the USB-C port on the Macbook to the rest of the world, so where is the convenience?

Switching to USB-C on iPad is also a pain, because then i'll need two cables (or an adapter) to charge my iPhone and new iPad. Ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturn007

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Switching to USB-C on iPad is also a pain, because now I need two cables (or an adapter) to charge my iPhone and new iPad.

I agree. I'd like USB-C on the iPad if it can use USB keys. Otherwise, yeah, let's stick with lightning because I want a single cable running across my desk.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Spot on with the 6'1". Once the "Delay" ends giving the high margins devices time to sell it will easily be 65-70% of new iPhone sales. Then we will see how serious Apple is on increasing Market Share. Will they have/want capacity to meet demand on the 6.1"? Will they force people to a Xs with continuous backlogs on 6.1" shipments? Will people go with an 8 to pay less for a still outstanding device? Many unknowns. I hope Tim is finally getting the "Market Share Thing" down. :apple:

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Would ECG for the watch dramatically improve heart rate readings? I’m very interested in what they have to say about this. The current optical HR sensor definitely seems finicky in terms of accuracy and ability to get a reading when you’re moving about. Sometimes on a run or bike I won’t get a reading for minutes, or it’ll read my HR as being half of what it should be, etc. Would love a more reliable sensor that isn’t so thrown off by movement.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I agree. I fear at the idea that someone walks by and snaps the pencil charger connector as its getting charged up in my ipad. Having it the other way while connected to the cable makes more sense.

The Apple Pencil should have had a female Lightning port to begin with. That way if your pencil is low on battery life, you can just use a cable, plug it in to the iPad, and you're still able to use it.

Why they chose a male connector for the pencil is beyond me.

Reactions: tf_dc and pipis2010

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
iPad will switch to USB-C connector. Everything else (iPhone, Air Pods, Apple Watch, Apple Pencil) will charge on the new Air Pad charging mat.

Lightening connector will be left for now. But will eventually be removed when charging mats become more commonplace which will leave the iPhone with no ports.

Apple will no longer ship iPhones with the 3.5mm dongle.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
As someone who wears a continuous glucose monitor, I can tell you, we will not have non-invasive continuous glucose monitors (CGM) anytime soon. The technology for a CGM has just recently become good enough to use reliably. These reliable models are all invasive. Optical CGMs are a LONG way away. I wish I were wrong, but I just don't see this happening on a watch before the end of the decade.
I thought there were already proof of concept light sensors that worked as far back as like 2016. Guess mass tech takes a while.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Not a chance in hell Apple replaces Lightning on the iPad. It doesn't make sense: if I were traveling with all updated Apple products I would need a Lightning cable for my iPhone and a USB-C cable for my iPad. Why?!
[doublepost=1536590037][/doublepost]

Don't forget all the Apple accessories have Lightning ports: Magic Mouse/Keyboard, AirPods, Beats, etc. It makes no sense to switch the iPad to USB-C.

Do you think Apple makes any sense at all recently? Look at this travel package:

• MacBook: USB-C to USB-C
  • Previous gen iPhone as work phone: USB-A to Lightning
  • iPhone XS: USB-C to Lightning
  • iPad: USB-A to Lightning
  • Apple Watch: USB-A to wireless charging puck
  • AirPods: USB-A to Lightning
  • Apple pencil: Lightning port

Think about charging all these devices at night in a hotel room and what kind of mess that would be cable and adapter wise! At least moving one more device to USB-C is slowly getting to a standard. The MacBook and iPad are on a similar path, so for them to share the same I/O would make sense.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Not a chance in hell Apple replaces Lightning on the iPad. It doesn't make sense: if I were traveling with all updated Apple products I would need a Lightning cable for my iPhone and a USB-C cable for my iPad. Why?!
[doublepost=1536590037][/doublepost]

Don't forget all the Apple accessories have Lightning ports: Magic Mouse/Keyboard, AirPods, Beats, etc. It makes no sense to switch the iPad to USB-C.

The wording is a little ambiguous. My guess would that the new iPad Pros will support the full suite of USB-C protocols over lightning.

So with a USB-C to lightning cable you'd get the same functionality as a USB-C cable. Lightning (and to a degree, USB-C) is more a physical/connection standard and not a cabling standard in the traditional sense. Just like USB-C can support a variety of alternate modes, Lightning can be expanded to support different protocols over the same cable. Like iPads quietly bumping up from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 over Lightning.

My dream would be an iPad with both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.