LACIE rugged thunderbolt + USB3 sale.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by philipma1957, Nov 17, 2012.

1. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

http://www.jr.com/lacie/pe/LAC_9000291/

this is the 120gb ssd version

Use code Turkey10 get 10 bucks off instant.

so it is 189 free shipping no tax except NY. link via your discover card and get 5% off so it is about 179.

this should be a good external booter . it is on preorder so it will take a day or 2 extra to ship out.

2. nydennis macrumors regular

I was looking up some reviews of this drive and came across this article. It was showing that the USB read speeds were higher then the thunderbolt speeds on this drive? The write speeds were about even. Have you read anything about it before? I never did any extensive research on buying a TB drive until the last few days.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/lacie-rugged-usb3-thunderbolt-review-benchmarks

3. TeeeCeee macrumors newbie

I bought the Lacie Rugged TB HDD version a month ago and did some test with Black Magic. I only have TB with my iMac so I can't do USB3 tests.
    Here are my results with TB:

1) with 5400rpm Samsung 1T HDD W=100 R=100
    2) with Sata2 Kinston SSDNow W=140 R=250
    3) with Sata3 Samsung 830 SSD W=260 R=360
    4) as for comparison, Samsung 830 mounted internally W=260 R=450

Using the Samsung 830 as a standard, I don't know if there are any single TB drive enclosures (Seagate? anyone?) will better that. Mind you the Lacie had been v reliable for the last month when I am using it as part of a 4 SSD RAID0 array as boot disk continuously. Not once any problems ( I use 2 x Intel 320 + 2 x Samsung 830)

I would recommend the Lacie. ( I use Lacie LBD TB SSD Raid as well).

TC

4. nydennis, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

nydennis macrumors regular

You cannot compare the Lacie to any of your drives as they are different controllers, drives, etc.

The Lacie uses the Micron RealSSD C400 drive according to the review. The review states "The results were the same, indicating that the problem rests in the drive, either with the Thunderbolt controller or firmware."

What I'd like to see if there is some reviews with the Lacie Thunderbolt SSD compared to other single drive Thunderbolt SSD drives.

I would just like to know why the USB 3.0 tests are reading better then the SSD Thunderbolt tests. I am going to be buying this drive regardless of the answer. Just was wondering is all :)

5. TeeeCeee macrumors newbie

I am just showing the Samsung is faster ssd than Micron in the same enclosure, that means the Micron is the bottleneck. There shouldn't be much difference in TB & ISB3 speeds in a single drive in a box configuration as both can go to 5G. TB only has advantage when used in RAID0 SSDs in 2xSata3 controllers, like the brand new Lacie LBD.

6. LaCieTech macrumors member

USB3 vs Thunderbolt

The speeds are very close between USB3 and Thunderbolt. Many factors play in to speed results including the way the benchmark works, what benchmark is being used, version of the OS, size and number of files being transferred, and what machine is being used. When transferring real files, some types of files transfer faster over one interface and other files are faster over the other. Measuring performance really needs to focus on the particular needs of the end user. It's possible to select a benchmark showing USB3 faster than Thunderbolt; and vice-versa. See the recent review in 59hardware.net, a popular tech site in Europe, that showcases more types of testing.

http://www.59hardware.net/articles/...usb3-thunderbolt-series--2012111313138/3.html (We recommend using google to translate, Chrome will translate in browser)

Thanks,
    -TL, LaCie

7. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

nice scores my ssd comes soon looking forward to playing with it.

so far the lacie little big disk opened and adding my own ssd's has really worked well.

8. uncleMonty macrumors regular

This one doesn't have the dual TB port for daisychaining though, does it? I think you have to go to the Little Big Disk for that. Are there any other recommendations for Thunderbolt external SSDs that you can daisychain to a monitor? At the moment I am leaning towards the Little Big Disk 1TB SATA III SSD, but it is pricey (~$1000).

9. dany74m macrumors member

One question, does it have any fan inside? It is noisy?
    Thank you