Lack of Always-On Screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by p3ntyne, Apr 16, 2015.

1. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

What's your opinion of the lack of an always-on display. Since the screen is so efficient, and hardly any pixels would be lit, I don't see why that couldn't be an option.

And also, since that watch is only slightly smaller yet has an OLED display, what is it that limits the watches battery life to under a day?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It's just where techonlogy is at.

No device, this small, this light, and this capable, has achieved better battery life.

It is what it is, and with each version, as technology moves forward, things will get better.

3. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that when the watch goes to reserve power mode, it is on all the time (very basic digital time display). I'm hopeful that there are more settings added to the Watch so that we can choose to have the basic face always on, or other options that allow us to choose our own balance between usability and battery life.

4. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I'm not an engineer but I would guess it has something to do with needing to fit the entire Apple S1 SiP (CPU, RAM, storage, etc.), Taptic Engine, display, and battery into a form factor of less than a cubic inch.

5. p3ntyne thread starter macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

But other manufacturers have... Why can't Apple?

Yeah, that would be a good idea, even if it were just the face from the power reserve mode.

6. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Cause other manufacturers have far superior smartwatches, you should purchase theirs.

All other manufacturers put microSD slots in their phones, doesn't mean Apple should too.

7. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

It uses up the most power out of any of the smart watches on the market today. Having the screen light up only when you need it is a good compromise to save battery.

8. p3ntyne thread starter macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Batteries are a necessity, SD cards are not - I can assure you that no manufacturers are going to stop trying to improve battery life, let alone stop including batteries in their phones, anytime soon.

9. Jungo macrumors regular

I wonder if you can set the screen sleep delay time ? - If I could strut around with that blue butterfly with it's wings flapping - gals (and guys) would 'say hello' . ; )

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Who has created something as small, light, and capable as the Apple Watch, and got better battery life?

11. p3ntyne thread starter macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Pebble - the 10 day always-on display makes up for less functionality. Asus - Zenwatch and their newly announced one (with 10 days again). LG and Motorola (although they're bigger.)

To be fair, none are perfect and they all seem to sacrifice at least one thing.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So you'd rather see this screen on for 10 days than an Apple watch? Hats off to you. I'm not a fan of the sub par resolution of eInk displays.
    [​IMG]

13. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Maybe always on e-ink type that goes off when you lift your wrist or press the crown showing the gorgeous screen underneath?

Not sure if you can overlay screens like that without impacting the good display.

14. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

How do we know it's always on? Has anybody looked at it for 10 days straight?

Also, who will be the first manufacturer to make a fridge with an always-on fridge light?

15. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

No doubt the battery is THE limiting factor.

Until we come up with a battery that hold more power, it is the way it will be.

16. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

So nobody has. Exactly.

17. kovey macrumors 6502a

Ignorance. These are completely different technologies. My casio g-shock's display has been always-on for the past 9 years without a single battery change or charge. The downside is that it JUST TELLS THE TIME.

18. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys. If I'm not looking at it, it doesn't need to be on. I wouldn't say no to a better battery in a future revision of the hardware, which will obviously happen at some point. But even then they could keep the screen off when I'm not looking at it for all I care.

19. Che Castro macrumors 603

Can you turn reserve power on or it comes on automatically

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who has an always on OLED screen?

21. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Both. There is also a manual screen brightness setting.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Most Android Wear watches can be set to be always on, although in some cases that means an ambient mode where the screen is dimmed until you raise it again. (My Moto 360 went 24 hours in that kind of "always-on" mode, and 36 hours with it set to only come on when requested by wrist or button.)

As far as always-on OLED, you must've missed my thread about my LG Watch R going two full days with its display on. Even in its ambient mode, the watchface I used looked like this:

lgr.jpg

As for the Apple Watch, maybe it uses up battery checking to see if it's been stolen off its owner's wrist. Something that Android Wear watches don't have to worry about as much. :rolleyes:

23. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I see what you did there :cool:

24. CodyPennant macrumors newbie

I'm really hoping they will add this ability. According to reviews, the watch face turns off after 6 seconds. That means you can't even easily keep the watch face on long enough to take a simple pulse reading on a patient. I can't imagine many medical professionals wanting a watch that won't let them take a quick pulse on a patient without having to constantly move their own wrist.

25. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Other manufactures don't even come close to the functionality of the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is being asked to do a whole lot more.

Apple has pushed battery tech in some pretty cool ways. This isn't a case of weak battery tech, it's a case of huge demands on the battery.