Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It is only related to contacts. It is the setting of how your CONTACTS are displayed. I'm sure the OP appreciates you attempting to defend his frustration, but your position makes no sense. I would never think to look in general settings for a setting for the display of my contacts.

As for if third parties can use it, go ask them. Apple can use it though.

Options that change the way things are displayed are best left to a 'display' section of the options.

This could house the short names option, the battery % option, etc.

It's an option more relevant to 'display' than 'contacts' - it doesn't change the contacts in any way, shape or form, it just changes how they are 'displayed' throughout the OS. It is purely a GUI option.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Options that change the way things are displayed are best left to a 'display' section of the options.

It's an option more relevant to 'display' than 'contacts' - it doesn't change the contacts in any way, shape or form, it just changes how they are 'displayed' throughout the OS. It is purely a GUI option.

That makes sense. I guess I can see why Apple put that option where they did, but I don't think I would have thought to look there.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

There is also an option to change how the contacts are sorted, which changes the order in which they are displayed on the screen. By your logic, that too should be moved. This of course would make the contacts section empty.....The accessibility section has settings for the size of font, changing how text is displayed on the screen. I suppose that should be moved to general as well. Notification center settings changes what kind of notifications are displayed on the screen. It doesn't change the content of the notifications in any way, just the manner in which they are displayed. Those should be moved then right?

Summary: You're not making any sense. By your logic, everything that remotely affects the GUI (Read: Everything) should be in general, or in some new setting called GUI.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah it doesn't make sense. It's in contacts but has zero effect on how the contacts themselves are displayedin the app itself.

"Short names are sometimes used to fit more names on screen" doesn't really cut it, especially if its in the section its in. You would think it would shorten the actual contact in the app.

Maybe an option to customize where and if not, put the option in things it changes... like messages. Because as of now thats the only thing it changes.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
There is also an option to change how the contacts are sorted, which changes the order in which they are displayed on the screen. By your logic, that too should be moved. This of course would make the contacts section empty.....The accessibility section has settings for the size of font, changing how text is displayed on the screen. I suppose that should be moved to general as well. Notification center settings changes what kind of notifications are displayed on the screen. It doesn't change the content of the notifications in any way, just the manner in which they are displayed. Those should be moved then right?

Summary: You're not making any sense. By your logic, everything that remotely affects the GUI (Read: Everything) should be in general, or in some new setting called GUI.

That doesn't change the display, it changes the sort order. I don't think you're getting the premise of my suggestion. Displaying short names so as to fit more names in changes the display. Sorting the names a different way doesn't change the display, it just changes the order.

Accessibility section should be duplicated if a display section is added, so that you can see all accessibility options in the usual place, and the ones only related to display in display > accessibility.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

No, there's not even a "Display" setting in iPhone, by your logic then everything should go into "Display" settings, almost everything changes the display, usually, the "display" menu/submenu/setting is meant for "Screen" as in resolution/brightness/wallpaper.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
It seems some people are thinking like programmers while others are thinking like users

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
That doesn't change the display, it changes the sort order. I don't think you're getting the premise of my suggestion. Displaying short names so as to fit more names in changes the display. Sorting the names a different way doesn't change the display, it just changes the order.

Accessibility section should be duplicated if a display section is added, so that you can see all accessibility options in the usual place, and the ones only related to display in display > accessibility.

What you are describing is nonsensical and extremely unintuitive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.