Lack of more RAM starting to show on 6 Plus.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Lag and stuttering are starting to take a toll on my 6 Plus and with the same setup I had on my 5. I have about only 4 apps open (Spotify with no music playing, Settings, Instagram, and SysStats lite) and the device is left with only about 100 MB of memory left. The stuttering and lag is downright bad when swiping up Control Center while on Instagram and Spotify. On my 5 i could run a lot more apps in the background and ill still be left with about 450 MB of RAM with absolutely no Control Center stuttering in any of my apps.

I am in no way bashing the 6 Plus as i have been thoroughly enjoying the improved camera, amazing battery life, and HD screen but after a few days the performance compared to my 5 is rather disappointing. Im seriosuly considering exchanging it for a regular 6 and just wait when the specs are up to par for such a massive device.

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
If you're getting lag in control center with 4 apps open, you should return it and replace it. That's not normal, that sounds like a manufacturing or software error.

VasectomyLove

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
i have zero issues - the RAM FUD is back again.

I have maybe 4 at most tabs in safari, can switch back and forth between asphalt 7 and other apps instantly without any lag or refreshing in safari.

People we need to stop these threads that spew FUD. the 1GB ram is perfect or else apple would not of put it in my i6+

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
i have zero issues - the RAM FUD is back again.

I have maybe 4 at most tabs in safari, can switch back and forth between asphalt 7 and other apps instantly without any lag or refreshing in safari.

People we need to stop these threads that spew FUD. the 1GB ram is perfect or else apple would not of put it in my i6+

i might just have a faulty device but im not kidding when i have those 4 apps i posted up and look into SysStats to monitor my RAM usage its always running in the low 100s and even dipping under 100. Ill record with my 5 and post a vid later when i get home from work to show the nasty stuttering Control Center does when swiped up when Instagram or Spotify are the apps currently opened.

----------

Considering there is much more needed graphics buffer due to the more pixels in the screen, I am not surprised.
this is exactly what im thinking and why its being said that regular 6 performs better than the 6 Plus in some areas. My 5 would be running about 10 apps in the background and it would still be just using up half of the RAM. The screen size and upgraded processor are too big for just 1GB ram and i have no doubt in my mind the 6S will include 2GB of ram next year.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Now its running with an abysmal 53.5 available RAM. No games, no videos, just music, Instagram, and Messenger in the background. Pretty pathetic to be honest. Never had my 5 run this low. Hoepfully its just a iOS 8 thing but i doubt it.

poematik13

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2014
The RAM anxiety is stupid. iOS is lean and efficient and does not need tons of RAM just to run smoothly, like that other mobile OS....

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
The RAM anxiety is stupid. iOS is lean and efficient and does not need tons of RAM just to run smoothly, like that other mobile OS....
K ill show you the video of my 6 Plus performance when i get home and you decide if all the stuttering and lag is stupid or not

----------

return it and go buy a note 4. no one is forcing you to keep it
no thanks im just getting a regular 6. Just putting it out there that at least my unit is not running smooth at all at this point. Not bashing iOS or Apple for that matter.

Angriff

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2013
i might just have a faulty device but im not kidding when i have those 4 apps i posted up and look into SysStats to monitor my RAM usage its always running in the low 100s and even dipping under 100. Ill record with my 5 and post a vid later when i get home from work to show the nasty stuttering Control Center does when swiped up when Instagram or Spotify are the apps currently opened.

----------

this is exactly what im thinking and why its being said that regular 6 performs better than the 6 Plus in some areas. My 5 would be running about 10 apps in the background and it would still be just using up half of the RAM. The screen size and upgraded processor are too big for just 1GB ram and i have no doubt in my mind the 6S will include 2GB of ram next year.
You aren't running apps in the background. That is not how iOS works. It does not multitask like a desktop OS. Only active threads from background apps stay in memory. And what is with the obsession with free RAM? Both OS X and iOS will do their best to use all the RAM that is available to them. Free RAM is a useless metric with modern memory management.

I don't doubt that animations on the 6+ may look a bit less smooth than they do on a 5S or a 6, because the phone is pushing so many more pixels, and on top of that it's downscaling from an even higher resolution. It's like the issues the first retina MBP models had: the GPU will sometimes struggle to push that many pixels.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
You aren't running apps in the background. That is not how iOS works. It does not multitask like a desktop OS. Only active threads from background apps stay in memory. And what is with the obsession with free RAM? Both OS X and iOS will do their best to use all the RAM that is available to them. Free RAM is a useless metric with modern memory management.

I don't doubt that animations on the 6+ may look a bit less smooth than they do on a 5S or a 6, because the phone is pushing so many more pixels, and on top of that it's downscaling from an even higher resolution. It's like the issues the first retina MBP models had: the GPU will sometimes struggle to push that many pixels.
Gotcha so its more of a GPU issue than anything? So am I SOL when it comes to smooth animations and performance for this Plus model until the next updated Plus comes out with better specs?

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Do you have background app refresh going? I haven't seen any of this with my co workers that have them.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Do you have background app refresh going? I haven't seen any of this with my co workers that have them.
Yes, didnt cripple my phone by turning any default features off and like i said I have it set up the same way my 5 was set up. As 2 posters have already mentioned its a GPU issues since the higher resolution is much more demanding compared to the 5, 5s, and 6 so therefore performance and animations can take a hit. I cant wait to get home to show you guys how bad the stuttering is, not very iOS like.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
Gotcha so its more of a GPU issue than anything? So am I SOL when it comes to smooth animations and performance for this Plus model until the next updated Plus comes out with better specs?
Sell it.

No, you aren't SOL until the next updated plus comes out with better specs. You're SOL until the next software update comes out.

Your new toy's animations aren't perfect. You don't understand why. Must be ram.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Sell it.

No, you aren't SOL until the next updated plus comes out with better specs. You're SOL until the next software update comes out.

Your new toy's animations aren't perfect. You don't understand why. Must be ram.
I hope youre right and that this can all be fixed with a software update.

----------

Your username sounds ironic. :cool:
OP. Post the vid when you have a chance.
will do

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
I hope youre right and that this can all be fixed with a software update.

----------

will do
Seriously. This is a new device with a new operating system. There will be growing pains. It's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

If you're seriously concerned, trade it for the other one if you think you'll be happier with it.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
To try and duplicate your problem, I opened 10 apps and went back to home screen. Safari has 4 tabs open.

I then held the phone with two hands and proceeded to spin the phone left, right, 360 degrees, 180 degrees, and like 90 degrees back and forth, al very quickly.

Not once did the phone have a problem smooth transitioning to the expected stopping point. At some points while I was spinning the phone, the screen actually stayed visually stationary like a gyroscope was connected to it.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
My phone doesn't have that issue either. You do realize, stuttering could be the CPU trying to catch up rather then low memory...

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
To try and duplicate your problem, I opened 10 apps and went back to home screen. Safari has 4 tabs open.

I then held the phone with two hands and proceeded to spin the phone left, right, 360 degrees, 180 degrees, and like 90 degrees back and forth, al very quickly.

Not once did the phone have a problem smooth transitioning to the expected stopping point. At some points while I was spinning the phone, the screen actually stayed visually stationary like a gyroscope was connected to it.
Transitions havent been an issue just swiping Notification Center and Control center up and down. Try having an app that has pictures or graphics then slide up Control Center, thats where i can 100% duplicate my stuttering issue. Stay tuned.

----------

Can I ask if you set up the phone as new with a clean slate?
clean slate

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
This is only the beginning, if it's lagging now...in three months it will be barely functional ;)

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Transitions havent been an issue just swiping Notification Center and Control center up and down. Try having an app that has pictures or graphics then slide up Control Center, thats where i can 100% duplicate my stuttering issue. Stay tuned.

----------

clean slate
Specifics help for a baseline test.

What apps, exactly, are you basing from to notifications and control center?

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Yes it does. I remember when Apple users were saying they don't need bigger phone than 4 inches. Now look what you have. Bigger phone needs more RAM, end of story. You'll eat your own words when Apple gives you 2GB RAM next year.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Specifics help for a baseline test.

What apps, exactly, are you basing from to notifications and control center?
For example im basing from Instagram (pages of nothing but photos) and Spotify (music controls with Album artwork) i notice it more on Spotify when the huge album artwork is on display within app in the background and then Control Center is pulled in front of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.