lack of trim :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hvgotcodes, Feb 4, 2011.

1. hvgotcodes macrumors member

All

I really want to get an SSD for my 2010 MBP. I have heard great things. I have also heard horrible things about what can happen given osx's lack of trim support.

So the question is: how is this going to affect an SSD over time? Do mac users need to format their ssds after time to resolve performance degradation?

Thanx

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Newer SSDs have pretty good firmwares that do garbage collection to avoid degradation. In most cases, the lack of TRIM is overhyped. It's not that big deal for an average user. Also, it will only affect write speed, not read speeds.

SandForce based drives don't need software TRIM because they have "built-in" TRIM that deal with the issue.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Buy an SSD drive with SandForce controller. They won't slow down.
    2. Drives that do slow down don't recover after formatting.

On the other hand, a 500 GB Hitachi 7200 rpm drive is bloody big, bloody fast, bloody cheap, and won't give you any trouble :)

4. neversaynever macrumors member

neversaynever

I have an i7 MBP with Intel X25M-G2 160gb ssd for about 6 months, so I am speaking from experience. Yeah, SSD's get slower over time but it falls from %100 to %90 of its original speed, nothing drastic. Just buy the best (not the one that gives you best bang to buck on Gb/$) SSD you can afford and then forget all about it - I noticed the difference because I ran xbench in intervals over time, else I would not probably see it. If you tend to get OCD over this run a defrag and you're back at perfect.

5. hvgotcodes thread starter macrumors member

was thinking of the crucial c300 256gb or the Samsung 256 GB Solid State Drive MZ-5PS256. a friend has the crucial and really likes it, but has only had it for 2 months....

6. hvgotcodes thread starter macrumors member

People on other technical forums have said that for trim to work well then it needs to be supported by both the OS and the drive....is that not true?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They aren't the best ones for Macs. Like said above, get a SandForce based SSD. They are the fastest and in most cases the cheapest as well.

That is true. However, SF based drives are special in that matter as they don't experience degradation. The controller offers similar feature to TRIM to keep the drive snappy

8. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Wait about a month because Crucial's C400 drives should be out soon.

9. hvgotcodes thread starter macrumors member

hmm i see this

http://www.amazon.com/Solid-State-S...Y6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1296840998&sr=8-10

it has no reviews though...

10. hvgotcodes thread starter macrumors member

would you recommend crucial? the c300 is overkill because it has a SATA3 and my mbp only has sata2...

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

12. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I don't have a crucial ssd, but they're one of the more popular ssd's out there. The reason I suggest waiting is that with the C400 you'll get more storage space for less money.

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

To get SSDs back to factory speeds, you must execute a secure erase. Search in the Mac Pro forums for the thread.

14. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I used to have an X-25m and what Idid was backup, install windows, run the intel trim software and reinstall osx lol.

now I just have a Sandforce 1200 drive and go play and let the controller do the work =)

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The 64GB drive, which was a $1,000 upgrade, on our 2008/9 MBA has had minimal real world change in speed or size. The statistics on it via benchmarks show some, but not a lot of difference. TRIM really is not that important, especially (as stated) that many drives have their own wear-leveling software. An example is the OWC 120GB drives are 120 instead of 128 as they have 8GB dedicated to maintaining performance and longevity. Many SSDs are like this.