Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a lag, more like a delay, when accessing the different sections of the Photos app? When you first start the app it shows photos, photo stream, albums, events, places across the top. Then when you tap albums, for instance, there is a pause of a few seconds before they appear. It's pretty annoying, having become accustomed to the snappy response on previous iPads.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have fewer than 3000 photos and there's like a 5 second delay.

I just went back into the Photo app to check and the response is very snappy on all albums.

iPhoto, on the other hand, insists on updating the library every time I open it and that takes minutes!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I just went back into the Photo app to check and the response is very snappy on all albums.

iPhoto, on the other hand, insists on updating the library every time I open it and that takes minutes!

I don't know if my particular unit has a problem or not. When I kill the photos app then restart it it takes a few seconds to open. When I tap albums it takes a full 5 seconds to appear and when I scroll on the albums page it stutters, stops, is very jumpy. I'll post a video later if I can figure out how.

konicky

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Mine takes a second or so to fully load some images but I'm guessing that will be due to the file size. Although other images of a similar size open immediately so maybe it's a combination of file size and image size.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I don't know if my particular unit has a problem or not. When I kill the photos app then restart it it takes a few seconds to open. When I tap albums it takes a full 5 seconds to appear and when I scroll on the albums page it stutters, stops, is very jumpy. I'll post a video later if I can figure out how.

There may be some picture files corrupted. I'd resync with iTunes. Uncheck photos, sync (so they are all deleted on the iPad), check photos, and then sync again. If it continues I'd suggest syncing only one folder to see if the problem persists.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010

orlandocano

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
My lag is different from yours. My pictures open instantly. But I have some large pictures i downloaded from the retina wallpapers thread here on macrumors.. the pictures open instantly but our blurry, then after a few seconds, they become beautifully clear!! its like there is a lag on rendering the photos that are on iPads hard drive. Anybody experience this?

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Yeah, looks like somethings borked on your iPad. Mine doesn't do that at all. Perhaps a full restore and see if that fixes it? Otherwise, may need to replace.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm assuming that's an iPad 3. That's how mine used to behave before on my iPad 2. It scrolls through individual photos fine, but when it has to display albums or events (which are actually albums too) it struggles. I may try resyncing.

Yup, it's a 3. A resync may fix you. Good luck.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Thanks all for your input. I'll resync tonight and report back.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Last edited:

Bloodraw850

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

orlandocano said:
My lag is different from yours. My pictures open instantly. But I have some large pictures i downloaded from the retina wallpapers thread here on macrumors.. the pictures open instantly but our blurry, then after a few seconds, they become beautifully clear!! its like there is a lag on rendering the photos that are on iPads hard drive. Anybody experience this?

Yes I have this same issue

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yeah

yeah, there is a lag. not sure why, I only have about 25 pictures in the photo app.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted

Im trying to crop high res wallpaper photos in the Photo app and every time I tap save, the photo is distorted and pixelated. Even if I go back and try to revert to original, the photo remains distorted.

Does anyone know a solution or experienced the same issue? I have tried using the iPhoto app to crop the pictures but iPhoto does not update the crop edits in the original album.

I tried editing the photo with iPhoto and saving the edited version to camera roll. I opened camera roll in the photos app and the edited photo displays pixelated.

The original photos are 2048x2048.

Can someone else please try to replicate this issue?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted

Im trying to crop high res wallpaper photos in the Photo app and every time I tap save, the photo is distorted and pixelated. Even if I go back and try to revert to original, the photo remains distorted.

Does anyone know a solution or experienced the same issue? I have tried using the iPhoto app to crop the pictures but iPhoto does not update the crop edits in the original album.

I tried editing the photo with iPhoto and saving the edited version to camera roll. I opened camera roll in the photos app and the edited photo displays pixelated.

The original photos are 2048x2048.

Can someone else please try to replicate this issue?

Maybe you should start a new thread on this subject, since your post has nothing to do with this thread.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
yeah, there is a lag. not sure why, I only have about 25 pictures in the photo app.

I went to see a "genius" today and as expected, they couldn't help me. He suggested that it was a corrupt back up (actually I suggested it was a corrupt backup). He told me I could delete all data and set up as a new iPad (not a very attractive prospect) or that I could delete all the photos and upload them all again. There's only like 3000 photos that I had organized into albums, thanks Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.