Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
They Never Mention RAM Period. We always wait for a iFixit Tear Down to see the actual Chips
If they stick with 2GB RAM, I am gonna laugh so hard. My guess is 3GB to match the IPhone 7 Plus and IPhone 8 but who knows.

I think iOS 11 in the 9.7" Pro and well understood and fully Supported Resolution is the ultimate sweet spot.
The new 10.5" Awkward resolution some Apps will look off and there will be inevitable issues.

The 9.7" Pro might be the sweet spot for now, but it is no longer for sale, so 10.5" support will hopefully grow quickly. Although many developers may just use the standard 9.7".

There are now so many iOS options that resolution independence is the only way for developers to go.

Reactions: Glideslope

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Hmmm. Not sure if this is a big deal or not. Im more concerned about the RAM and how the new size will feel in-hand than ppi. Ill probably stick with ym Air1 for another year anyways. It just keeps working. :)

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I would have excused the ppi if the screen was OLED...but Apple should know that using the same ppi for the last 4 to 5 years in a non-OLED screen is inexcusable (they rather profit more as usual) .

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
RAM is never covered in the keynotes...been that way for many years now.

Early indications are that it may be 4gb. But I want to see the reviews on battery life...it's important to me.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Precisely. And 264 is perfectly fine on a 9.7in screen. Going to bigger screen sizes means that that same 264 is gonna seem even better.
[doublepost=1496745401][/doublepost]

You hold the mini a lot closer to you. If 264 is good enough (and it is) on the 9.7, that same ppi on an even larger display is actually an improvement.

...for YOU.

Reactions: huperniketes

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Save developers the hassle of having to support another resolution. This way, any app optimised for the 12.9” iPad looks and works fine on the 10.5” iPad.

Any app optimized for the 12.9" is also optimized for split screen (ideally), which means the pixel count on the 10.5" is not an issue. Apple's solution for devs supporting both the 12.9" and split screen is using automatic layout. If you have that, the 10.5" will "just work".

The unfortunate reality is that we are already in the realm where you can't rely on screen size being constant on iOS anymore. But Apple thankfully introduced the tools to manage it before doing it.

alba63

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
They probably found that 264 is quite ok for the large majority of all users. Technically they could have gone higher (12.9 iPAD resolution squeezed in 10.5 like on iPAD mini), but that would eat more battery. iPAD pro 9.7 was said by reviews to have the world's best screen on any tablet. So I do not see a problem with it....

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
They probably found that 264 is quite ok for the large majority of all users. Technically they could have gone higher (12.9 iPAD resolution squeezed in 10.5 like on iPAD mini), but that would eat more battery. iPAD pro 9.7 was said by reviews to have the world's best screen on any tablet. So I do not see a problem with it....
Likely true, but there remain many of us who are deeply unsatisfied that it isn't 325, at least.

Reactions: jamesrick80

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
many users that are unsatisfied with it, i hope they will never go with these new beautiful display, with 120hz UI and 600 nits brightness

i take the new 120hz 600 nits brigtness and the new Apple’s custom-designed antireflective coating over the 326 ppi any time

Reactions: the future

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
the mini 4 display is an old tech...the difference in ppi is 0 compared to these new tech
[doublepost=1496769755][/doublepost]my god, go into an apple store to see the difference between ipad mini 4 and these new ipad pros

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Someone on Twitter said that Xcode shows that the 10.5 IPP has 4 GB RAM. I haven't been able to verify that yet.
That would be a welcome surprise.
[doublepost=1496780259][/doublepost]
the mini 4 display is an old tech...the difference in ppi is 0 compared to these new tech
[doublepost=1496769755][/doublepost]my god, go into an apple store to see the difference between ipad mini 4 and these new ipad pros
I have an original 12.9" iPP. I am satisfied with 264 PPI at THAT size. As I said earlier, I think smaller screened devices need progressively higher PPI.

EDIT / ADD: I mean, come on, who out there can honestly say that the iPhone PLUS screens aren't noticeably sharper than the SE's?

Last edited:

graphiteevo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The magic number is actually 326 ppi. Also, I haven't seen developers notice the new resolution of 2224-by-1668. Having a new resolution to support would seem like a pain in the butt to me but idk. I was almost certain that they would bump it to the 12.9 iPad's res and achieve the same PPI as the iPhone and iPad mini but unfortunately not. :/

hey mar! dbk1ng was already taken on these forums so I used my alias haha! you are 100% correct on the 326 ppi

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
PPI is insignificant at this point, when OLED screens hit the iPhone this year that's all people are going to want

Next I think Apple will have OLED screens and even 3d touch, that will be a good time to jump in

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The 9.7" Pro might be the sweet spot for now, but it is no longer for sale, so 10.5" support will hopefully grow quickly. Although many developers may just use the standard 9.7".

There are now so many iOS options that resolution independence is the only way for developers to go.

Right, until Apple mandates a new standard. :apple:

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Let me start by saying that I know I will be called a spec nerd, etc. and that's fine.

Now onward: instead of just using the same resolution as a 12.9 inch iPad Pro, Apple introduced yet another resolution in order to keep the new 10.5 inch iPad Pro at 264 PPI, instead of 325 PPI.

I probably was not getting a new iPad this year anyway, but this etches that in stone.

P.S. - no one knows about the RAM yet, either!

Without glasses or 20/10 vision can you see the individual pixels? I can't and I have good vision and am super picky when it comes to LCD display tech. Is adding 70 more PPI really going to make the already incredible screen "pop" or add so much more?
I'm more concerned about the RAM. I hope it has 6GB in the 12.9" and 4GB in the 10" but at the end of the day if it's better than the first iPP then I'm more than happy.

Kallum

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.