Lance Armstrong to compete in TdF in 2009

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gauchogolfer, Sep 8, 2008.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

ESPN is reporting that Lance Armstrong will come out of retirement and race for Astana next year!

Anyone see this coming?

ESPN link

2. spikespike macrumors member

Why would you do that? You've won 7, don't embarrass yourself by losing your final race.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Unless his cancer is returning, and he wants one last hurrah...

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'm not quite sure he would lose his final race. He's a machine and I can't say I would put money on anyone else but him.

That's just me though.

5. alFR macrumors 68020

I'd say it's more likely that he'd be a coach/advisor at Astana. If he does race, though, it'll be because he thinks he has a serious chance of winning it: I don't think he'd do it if he thought he had no chance.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The TdF has become a seriously compromised race in the past few years; how many of the past decade's (and more) winners can we seriously say are clean? I used to watch it, but not any more, as I think that in order to perform at the level of strength, endurance and powerful speed necessary to win, competitors unfortunately seem to think that they need chemical assistance.
    Cheers

7. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Update: Astana refutes earlier reporting

ESPN.com

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Armstrong Back Again...

Lance is back. I'm happy. He brought the sport alive, in a way. You've got to hand it to a guy that's diagnosed with cancer and doesn't give up or get depressed but fights back and wins. He's inspiring simply for the that fact that he proves cancer is beatable. CNN story

Feelings & thoughts? Let's dialogue.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

More power to him, although I hope it works out all right. I lived in Austin when he was winning on the Tour, and got wrapped up in all the excitement. I just hope he's competitive. It's sad when people come out of retirement and look like a shell of their former selves.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sad is correct.

When it's said "you can't go back", why can't some people ever get the message??

I guess public adoration is a drug, like any other.

11. wheelerw macrumors member

I don't think he would go to the TDF without knowing he could win. I mean, c'mon, Its Lance Freakin Armstrong. I think anyone who puts money on anyone but Lance Armstrong is taking a real risk. I also think its great he is doing this to promote his charity. He said he will not take any salary or bonuses. How cool would it be if he started his own team called: Livestrong. All money earned by the team could be donated to his charity.... Oh man, this is the best news I have heard all day :):)!!!:):)

12. spikespike macrumors member

Lets be honest here: the man's kind of a d-bag. I mean he left his wife for Sheryl Crow right when he became pretty well known.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No he didn't.

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

If I remember correctly, his wife left him? I thought that was how it went down, at least from what you read in the news..

15. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Kinda sorta off-topic, but related: I think that no athlete under the age of 45 should be allowed to "retire." I think that, instead of that, they should just be deemed "away from the game." I'm kinda tired of all these retirements and then unretirements and then more retirements and so on.

Useless rant, I know. I'm cranky this morning. :)

16. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I agree that a lot of them seem to come out of retirement to great hoopla and fanfare, but to put an age limit on it I'm not sure...

17. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I wasn't actually being serious. :)

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i guess since he's doing so bad at running marathons, he's forced to go back to riding a bike...

19. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

mistake! this'll bring up the doping thing again, when's he's already quieted the haters. i think he just doesn't know what else to do, and he was born to cycle....

20. wheelerw macrumors member

First part, while I wouldn't say he is a d-bag, I would say he is arrogant. You kind of have to be in the sport bike racing. And second comment: He didn't leave his wife, his wife left him...

About the doping: He said he is going to make all his drug tests available online for the world to see. While drug tests have gotten much better over the past few years, I still think that the athletes are one step ahead of the drug tests at all times. Though, I don't think Lance Armstrong dopes, he is just a freak of nature.... Just my opinion.

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i used to think that. but then i saw his marathon times. my opinion has started to change since then

22. alFR macrumors 68020

Er, you do realise how different cycling and running are, right? Having a good aerobic capacity doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good at both. He won't have run seriously at any point between him giving up triathlon when he went pro as a cyclist and retiring, so I think it'd be unreasonable to expect him to be a fantastic marathoner. For a parallel example, look at Matthew Pinsent the ex-Olympic rower: was one of the fittest guys on the planet aerobically, yet a relatively poor runner (4h+ marathon time).

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I don't think he has. I think his whole career is tainted with the positive tests of the top ten finishers around him.

Everyone was juiced to the gills and we're supposed to believe he dominated those world-class doped athletes with mineral water? All sports of the era are badly tainted. McGwire, Bonds, Jones, Riis, Festina... I could go on.

If he comes back the way he's said, with full blood profiles publicly posted, and can dominate as an elderly cyclist (37 ½ is a full decade past the historic prime Tour-winning age), he will silence all that.

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, but come on. he ran when he was younger (i mean late teens and in his 20's), and cycling still uses your legs (not like rowing - not that rowing doesn't use your leg muscles at all, but not as similar as cycling)

but he ran a marathon in 2:59. i know a girl who just ran her first marathon in 3:00. not that she's not a good runner, but he should at least be close to 2:30 by now. (which still wouldn't be that good for him)

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is still very very different. They use different mussels.

If you ever done a cycling you would understand that. I ride quite a bit and running it very different on the drain on my body.