landscape mode texting...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrmayor92, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

think well ever see this or is apple to beaaaat?

thoughts?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well, if they haven't done it by now, i doubt we will see it sometime soon.

3. mrmayor92 thread starter macrumors 6502

awww man thats a shameeee

4. shrtmkr macrumors regular

this is such a great idea(especially for people with large fingers, i wonder why they don't bother.

5. darkflounder macrumors regular

I originally wanted this. But I've become so used to texting in portrait mode, I don't mind anymore.

And I've got big fingers and thumbs. I just use my index finger to type it out.

6. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I wish they would implement this, it doesn't seem to be a difficult task.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

As soon as they do this, people will then bitch that there's not enough leftover room on the screen to see the messages. Because it really does leave very little room. I did a quick mock up just to see, using the current landscape keyboard, and the current way SMS lays out the screen. Yeah, that sucks...I will stick with the portrait.

Attached Files:

8. mrmayor92 thread starter macrumors 6502

i really dont care about the whole seeing the conversation thing

is there a way for a jailbroken phone to do landscape texting?

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They could eliminate the clock area where the battery and AT&T is. They could also make the name area of the contact smaller.

Leaving the keyboard the same size, it should like alright then.

10. minik macrumors 65816

11. johata3 macrumors regular

It's like using a Sidekick but only with one screen. I still think Apple should do something about it.

12. bluelondon macrumors regular

whether people like it or not, it would be nice if apple gave us the OPTION to tild our phones sideways and text in landscape mode.

why they haven't done this yet is a mystery.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It looks prefectly adqueate to me on the mockup. You can see the text you're writing and the one you're replying too.

I am staggered it's still not fixed.

Phazer

14. Project macrumors 68020

I vastly prefer typing in portrait mode to landscape.

15. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

SMS or Email

If they were going to change it they would , think there trying to push the email deal.

16. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Or do what they do in Safari, where the address bar stays at the top of the page when you scroll down (as in disappears from the screen) - there is no need for it to always be there. It will be visible when there are only a couple of messages, but otherwise you just scroll back to the top to see it.

17. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Except it doesn't work in email either...

Phazer

18. bigmouth macrumors 6502

This is a no-brainer. I can't believe people are actually arguing against this...

19. moabon.rob macrumors member

It might make it easier to type a message, then simply return to portrait to see the conversation in full. Although the conversation in your mock up says it all, really. :D;)

20. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

I have no idea, why the wont allow it. Even the LG Vu has landscape texting! :eek:

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

While I agree that landscape typing is a little more "comfortable" .. the lack of screen space is a bit of a killer for 2-way communications. Having to rotate back and forth isn't much of a solution, to be honest (not to mention that leaves more room for failure, crashes, etc.).

Currently landscape typing is literally only available for typing in URLs and things into text boxes on web sites. This is clearly a design decision on Apple's part, and as such I don't expect it to change any time soon.

22. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

That's probably what's taking so long. After all this time, I'm sure Apple wants to get it just right.

23. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Why? You can see the line above. Most of my replies aren't longer than a line. What's the problem?

When I use webmail, I always do so in landscape mode to type more quickly. Works just fine.

24. awvan macrumors member

Looks perfectly fine to me. Plus, you'd always have the option of typying in portrait mode anyway. Why not give us the choice?

25. Medic macrumors member

There's an ap with landscape keyboard

In my 1st few days with my iPhone, I downloaded a task application from the store which had the landscape keyboard. It was my 1st try with texting so I thought this was everywhere in the OS! I eventually deleted the app so don't rememeber what it was...It was very sweet and extremely quick to type, much more so then portrait. Having the option and native in the OS would be great in my opinion. One day maybe, one day...would be good for the devteam to put this together for jailbroken iphones/touches! :D