Laptop bag for school

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waffles123, May 13, 2009.

1. waffles123 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm looking for a bag for school. I've been looking for a bag (not a sleeve) that can hold my 15" MBP and books/binders. I was looking into Booq bags, and was wondering if anyone of you who have one could tell me what you think. Also recommend another bag that you think is better. I do have a few questions though:

1. Will my school books and binders crush my laptop? Very important ;)

2. Which Booq bag would you recommend for school? Or a different brand.

3. Do you recommend having just a sleeve for the laptop and a bag for all your school books/binders?

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

1. Your laptop won't be crushed if the bag has a good quality padded section. However, I wouldn't drop the bag hard to find out.

2. Not sure. I use a normal backpack with a separate sleeve.

3. I chose to use a backpack and a separate sleeve because I already had a good backpack (no sense wasting money in college) and I wanted something that could hold books and binders for several classes at once. Many bags seem to only hold one or two things besides the laptop.

3. marksandvig macrumors regular

i rock an incase sleeve with my regular bookbag.. Ive never had a problem however i also dont throw my back pack on the ground either :D

4. jsgreen macrumors 6502

5. emiliano5 macrumors newbie

I've never owned a Booq bag.
    I have a JanSport bag that I bought at my school. It's great.

The compartment inside the bag for the laptop is well patted. My bag can be full of books and the laptop will still be very well protected.

6. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I use a sleeve inside my Northface laptop backpack. Rising 4th year in college

7. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

8. Aoleus macrumors newbie

I bought the previously linked Timbuk2 Commute for college. It's incredibly sturdy, has plenty of room for books and such, and has a well padded laptop compartment. I've had no problems finding space for a full day worth of class materials, and my uMBP remains scratch-free.

9. andypullen macrumors member

andypullen

Keen Alameda 15

I was just looking for a bag (and found one) that would fit the laptop and a few small things... I'm not in college. Anyway, on my adventures in bag shopping, I actually purchased and took home a Keen Alameda 15 from REI. I took it back because it was too roomy. I thought it would have been perfect if I were still in college.

http://www.rei.com/product/765611

I think it's worth checking out. Good luck.

10. jonny5009 macrumors member

jonny5009

I got the mamba Booq bag about a year ago and it's still pretty much like new. It looks really small but has a ton of storage and very durable. Also the padding on the back definitely a lot more comfortable than regular back packs. Also it has the lost and found feature if someone was to be kind enough to return a $100 back pack with a $3000 computer inside.

11. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

booq bags are so expensive. I got an incase sleeve and just throw it in my backpack with the rest of my stuff. My computer is fine 2 years and running of just doing that. I bought a Timbuk2 commuter type bag for when I go to work or just take a few things and my laptop.

Personally I really like these...

http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/shop.jsf

Recycling is never a bad thing. So next time I got some money to drop on a bag, I probably go that route. You really can get by with just a sleeve and any bag of your liking.

12. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

same here. just put my macbook in the incase and put it in my eastsport backpack
    works well even with all my books

13. couto27 macrumors 6502

Best Bag For School

this bag is amazing i recomend for everymac users very light rigid and cool
    i bought mine and in the first month about 50 people ask me where ive bought it

logitech kinetik mobile bacpack

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UGXTX4/ref=s9

14. couto27 macrumors 6502

it fits a 17 inch mbp easy, but if you have a pc forget and buy a mac

15. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

16. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

17. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I use an Ogio Mastermind. It has a lifetime warranty and is set up perfectly for laptops. It has pockets for the laptop, the power cord, headphones, a mouse, accessories, and space for an extra battery, as well as a pocket for books, a filing pocket, a media pocket, and a small pocket for keys and the like. It is currently out of stock in black though. (They have red/black and white plaid/black)

18. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

@RareEarthMetal

It doesn't look like InCase makes that bag anymore. Can't find it on their website and the online apple store.

19. etiger13 macrumors member

When I was in high school and younger I would go throw a backpack a year...if they made it that long. Then I got Targus laptop bag and I have had it for about 6-7 years and it is still going strong. Its comfortable, strong and has a padded section that is still nice and padded(Some kind of deflate). Something to think about.

20. impreza98 macrumors member

I have the booq taipan slimcase. Its a fantastic bag. If you decide to get it, size up! I originally bought the small version but the space for my MacBook was very tight, which eventually caused the zipper to scratch the computer. I returned it and bought the medium version now I have ample space to put the MacBook inside the compartment with a sleeve on as well.

My only other complaint is that the strap tends to become twisted, which is a minor annoyance.

21. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

+1 for timbuk2

i have the track daypack

holds my mb and a book with all my other accessories no problem.

22. CLindel macrumors newbie

I've looked at several but am partial to the STM Bags. It's an Australian company but most of their bags are available for order in the United States. I'm in Maine and mine came quickly enough.

The bags are padded and pretty secure, so I wouldn't worry about it being crushed.

There are options for backpack bags, shoulder bags, and special cases.

23. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

you might want to try out Cumpler bags. they are a strange company (if you try their site) but the bags are awesome.

i bought the Crumpler cheesy disco (products-->laptop bags-->cheesy disco BIG LOGO). Although I paid about £95. Unfortunately they are jolly expensive. But after 4 years it does quite literally look nearly new. and its been used nearly every day (over summer holidays as well) for four years, been to new york, spain countless times and other places. its great and still feels like its got another 4 or 5 years out of it. personally i think they are great products. although whether you want the same bag for 1/10th of your life is up to you:p

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I used to own an STM Large Loop. I would recommend having a sleeve for your computer as the protection is a rather hard shell, but loved the bag. Currently have the Booq python. I love the bag and its features, my only gripe is the really weird shape...

25. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Looking at backpacks too, to get my uMB and its sleeve in. So far no satisfying results...