Laptop Cooler For 2011 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregpod9, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

I want to purchase a laptop cooler for my 2011 base model 13" MBP. Is it worth getting a notebook cooler for my MBP? If so, which notebook cooler do you recommend?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not really necessary. Too many obsess about normal MBP temps, just because they're higher than they may be used to.

3. jasin, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

jasin macrumors member

Here's a few.

Targus HeatDefense™ for Laptops AWE45US1
    Cooler Master Notepal U2 Notebook Cooler with Two Fans R9-NBC-8PBK-GP

But the cooler a laptop is the more efficient it runs. ;)

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Proof? Show your work.

5. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

He's sort of right. After a certain temperature, the CPU will start to throttle itself. You need to be close to 100C though.

6. jasin, Jun 4, 2011

jasin macrumors member

Its scientific fact. The diversion of energy occurs because of unwanted heating. This was proven with Joule heating, which is a part of Joule's First Law. And of course, cooling gives you the opposite effect, it counter acts resistive losses.

In Ohm's law, which has a Relationship to Joule's law, that is called resistive Heating. Resistive heating in Ohm's law is represented by the equation i^2r.

That is true too. That however is not a direct result of the heat its more of a design feature that helps counter act excessive heat.

If you people think heat is not something to worry about then please explain why apple has fans and heat sinks inside the case to cool the components, like the cpu, in there?

7. mtip macrumors member

No need to buy a separate cooler. There's one built in already.

8. jasin macrumors member

Once again, the cooler a laptop is the more efficient it will run. And macs do have heat problems. Google: mac heat problems. I got 48,400,000 results when I did.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Their heat problems lies with their over-protective obsessive user base, not the computers themselves.:rolleyes:

10. jasin, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

jasin macrumors member

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). There isn't an overheating problem with Macs. There's only a perceived overheating problem. Many who are new to Macs think their temps are too high because the aluminum case transfers more heat than their plastic PCs did, so it feels hotter. In the vast majority of threads posted about overheating, the "too high" temps being reported are well within the normal operating range.

12. emyholdem macrumors newbie

Apple Store's generally have a good few dozen macbooks on display running 8-10 hours a day constantly, i dont think you'll find any in there which will be too warm for any alarm.

13. jasin, Jun 4, 2011

jasin macrumors member

Whether he needs the extra cooling or not it is what he wants. And I am the only one who actually answered his question concerning that. :D

That's not a design of the mac that a design feature of the cpu. That is not specific to macs either as pcs have that feature as well.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you're not the only one who answered him.
    I'm well aware of that. The point is, Macs will shut down if they truly overheat. I didn't say it was specific to Macs.

16. jasin macrumors member

I said nothing about "overheating". Never once did not say anything about "overheating". I just simply stated that his mac will run more efficient the cooler it is and science does back up that fact.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As long as temps are within the normal operating range, the user would see no improvement in performance by using a cooler.

18. jasin, Jun 4, 2011

jasin macrumors member

Actually I am. I am the only one who gave him an answer on coolers he could use to cool his Mbp.

And gamers and over clockers have proven that is not true.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Overclocking is a modification to the MBP's original configuration and is not normal. You're making assumptions about the OP's needs, in an attempt to justify your position. I'll say it again: As long as temps are within the normal operating range, the user would see no improvement in performance by using a cooler.
    Read the original post.
    The OP was asking for cooler recommendations IF it was worth it to get one, which it isn't.

20. jasin, Jun 4, 2011

jasin macrumors member

There is no arguing with a MacHead, even when science and real world testing has proven him wrong.
    :(

Nevertheless, many over clockers still operate within normal parameters when overclocking. Many do not exceed the temperature ratings of the cpu. Yet, the system instability they experience when overclocking is not from kicking the cpu up to get extra horsepower out of it, the system instability is directly related to the heat that is generated.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only those with a weak argument resort to the juvenile tactic of name-calling. Since you claim "the cooler a laptop is the more efficient it runs", provide temperatures and benchmarks to prove your claim, as it relates to the OP's question. If you can't prove measurable improvement in performance, then the OP doesn't need a cooler.

22. jasin macrumors member

Its still a valid argument as real world testing and science both prove you wrong.

23. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Gotta love stupid pissing contests started by a simple question... :rolleyes:

24. jasin macrumors member

There is no need to provide any benchmarking when the science has already been validated and verified.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where are the benchmarks that apply to the OP's question? Until you provide some proof, I'm finished with this discussion. You give the appearance of one who wants to argue just to boost your post count. Since I don't care about my post count, you'll have to argue in circles on your own.
    Your statement hasn't been validated or verified by anything other than yourself. Until you provide factual evidence, you're just talking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.