Laptop Cooler

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AlabamaSlammer, Apr 28, 2012.

1. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

Anyone have any suggestions on a good cooler? When using Handbreak and a few other programs here lately my temps have hit close to 100c. Price is not really an option, just looking for a good solid cooler.

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Complete waste of money :D
    Thing is the MBP's don't pull in air from beneath like most windows laptops. So the "cold" air the cooler blows at the bottom doesn't really have any effect. Most windows laptops have a grill of some sort on the underside where the fan pulls in air from. In that case the coolers help a lot because it blows cold air to the fans which significantly helps to transport heat away from the heatsinks. I have a cooler stand thing with integrated USB hub and SATA connector and it has never, not even by 1 degree, cooled my MBP. The bottom case maybe by tiny amounts but that doesn't change internal temperature. If you find a cooler that get cold air to the fan inlets at the back, then it would help.

You wont be able to make your CPU run any cooler, thats just the thermal constraints of the MBP. The bottom case etc is only at 35-40 degrees.
    What can help though is to lift the back of the MBP up allowing for more air to be able to sucked in.

I experimented on how to get my MBP to run cooler and at one point I took the bottom case off, placed the MBP onto to three 3cm thick styrofoam bits (on big one under the battery and SSD, one under the Optical drive and under the top right corner) this allowed for the fans to get much more fresh air and it no longer insulates. CPU temperature dropped from 85-95°C to around 72-75°C. Massive difference!!! Sadly you cant use your MBP like that. So not really an option but quite interesting to know how much cooler the MBP could be running with better air intakes.

3. macrominnie macrumors member

I agree that MBP's are cooled differently and that fans directed from underneath are not nearly as effective as for PCs. Space underneath a MBP plus a small table fan blowing across will cool a MBP more and quicker than any cooler.

For processor intensive things like long Handbreak jobs, an external fan will keep things pretty cool, but if you are at the keyboard, the breeze over hands at the keyboard is incovenenient.

But I have found coolers do lower the temperature of PB, MB, & MBP's in the range of at least 3 to 10 degrees F. This is enough to keep the internal fan from turning on as much (the noise is not pleasant) and to keep the keyboard and wrist rest areas more comfortable. I've found the coolers with 120 mm fans (less noise with fair air movement) and metal grill work better. I adjust the cooler position so some of the air flow is across the back/side rather than blowing directly underneath.

Any spacer (I've found an upside old wire desk tray organizer works well) or heat sink (like an aluminum cookie sheet) will also reduce heat, less well than a decent cooling pad, and much less well than a combination spacer and external table fan.

Still, for convenience, a decent cooling pad is reasonable if not ideal. Take a look at some of the models & reviews at Monoprice & elsewhere.

4. tido2012 macrumors regular

I am looking for a cooling pad with fans, but after reading your post I think I'll have to just get a stand that lifts the back. I appreciate your honest analysis and explanation. It's difficult for me to just accept, don't waste your money cooling pads suck without an explanation. Anyways, time to find a stand to elevate the back now. Thanks again for your help.

Anyone have a stand that they like that helps to keep their computer cooled. I have a Retina Macbook Pro and am looking for a stand to use at home. I don't have a thunderbolt display, I simply use the display on the computer.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

When I had my MBP I used it with the Cooler Master Notepal. It had two fans and an extra USB port. The model I liked to, is no longer available, but if you can find one similar to it, it would be helpful for you.

I never thought it was a waste of money to have it, because it kept my MBP elevated from surfaces and drew away excess heat.

6. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

The bottom of the MBA and MBP is a heat sink, but blowing cool air on that won't have much effect on the inside temps. You might be better off turning the cooler upside down to cool your lap if the machine gets uncomfortably warm.

7. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

black eye

I have been using a Peas Cold Therapy - Medium, I picked up from CVS when I had a black eye. When watching heavy video, it cools my 2011 MBA down for well over an hour.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I always thought it was "money is no object".

Price is not really an option would mean either you expect it free (meaning it can't have a price since having a price would be an "option") or you aren't looking for price comparisons (which I guess would make sense in your post). I did a quick google, and couldn't find (other than a few random forum posts) where this phrase was used....

I'm not trying to be a grammar police here, but just trying to figure out if I am missing the boat or something....

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just prop it up with a stack of post-it notes if you think that increasing circulation really helps that much (it doesn't).

10. The-Pro, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

The-Pro macrumors 65816

Heres something. Like the thing I did with the styrofoam.
    I removed the bottom case from mb MBP. Taped some folded together bubble rap (about 1.5cm thick) over the battery and CD drive, and propped the top left hand corner up with some plastic thing.
    I was rendering a scene which completely maxes the CPU out. Again the temperature of the CPU was at 72°C and fans at 4900rpm. Very pleasant that it was this quiet.
    When I then placed the MBP onto my cooler, which therefore blew coldish air at the logic board, the temperatures dropped by about 3 degrees. 68-70°C maximum.

Im going to buy a used bottom case on ebay and cut hundreds of tiny holes in it, stick wire mesh on the inside (so nothing gets through) and use that. I predict it make a big difference, because cold air will get pulled in and warm air can escape aswell. Lets see. Ill post when I have it done. It should end being cheaper then most "good" coolers.

11. Critterbug macrumors member

Critterbug

Cooling fan

Even if it's just for peace of mind, or to keep your lap cool I don't think it hurts to have a fan. I know my 2009 MBP runs cooler for me than for my kids who do a lot of videos, so I've tried various fans.
    The only one I found that worked remotely, and it works great, is the Targus. It has 2 fans, plugs into the usb port. It also has nifty rubber feet for the computer to sit on which you can adjust to fit whatever size your computer is.
    Just got a new one at Target. They're not cheap, but they're very comfortable to use. I can put it on my dresser, and even though it's wedge shaped, the computer has never shifted...even when my cat sleeps on it. :p

12. Romeo604 macrumors regular

just use SMC fan control and set the fan speed to max...

along with using a small book and rest the bottom rear side of your laptop on its edge so air can flow underneath it.

13. The-Pro, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

The-Pro macrumors 65816

Wont stop the CPU from reaching 80-100°C. Not in my experience, over six different mac notebook models at least, when the CPU is maxed out.
    The extra airflow makes minimal differences.

14. Romeo604 macrumors regular

What I meant was in support of not buying any cooler as they are not effective and not worth any money.

15. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Yes i know, completely correct. What I meant by saying that was that it also will nearly not at all make a difference.
    Sadly there is very little you can do to get your mac notebooks to run significantly cooler apart from taking the bottom case off

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It won't really bring CPU temps down, but if you get one it'll probably make the computer more comfortable to touch/use.

That's why I have one - makes the laptop cooler to touch and it also raises the laptop a little bit on my desk. But CPU temps are the same.

17. The-Pro, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

The-Pro macrumors 65816

Yeah exactly. I use mine because of the built in SATA dock, 3 USB ports and because it creates a nice angle to work at.

18. Dre Sage macrumors newbie

Dre Sage

Retina

What would be a good laptop cooler for the Retina Macbook Pro?

19. Eliz macrumors member

powering on mac with plugged cooler????

is it OK to boot up my macbook with my laptop cooler plugged on to it? will this be a problem?

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There shouldn't be any problem doing that at all.

21. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Laptop coolers are a scam. Noteboks are designed to work perfectly out of box, no need fo any cooler. Only paraoind users will get one

22. Eliz macrumors member

slight hum

i've also noticed a very low humming noise (audible only at night) when i sorta get near the notebook... does anyone have this problem,,, i have a macbook 2011 core2duo...

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

On occasion I have used an external desk/floor fan on my Powerbook. It reduces the temp quite a lot. I've gone from 60+ Celsius to around the lower 50 degrees Celsius.

24. lgoodlove macrumors member

Hdd

Could just be a fan vibration. However back up your data. I've often heard some extra noise humming coming from laptops before the HDD goes out. Don't get to paranoid though, seeing as you said only at night, it makes me wonder if you aren't hearing it during the day and only when it is dead silent at night.

25. lgoodlove macrumors member

vent screen bottom?

Did you ever do this? I wouldn't mind trying it out if you had success. I have a Macbook Pro mid 2009 and it gets 80c to 90c's when I run Netflix for a while. This isn't a great concern but if I watch a few movies/shows a few times it will add up to several hours a week of hard use. Which may just push my old MBP over the edge.

I've tried using a fan blowing over the top of it, but it drops it maybe 1c. The most effective thing I've done is put some frozen thing under it but that only has gotten it down to 86*c at the lowest. Sure it makes the bottom of the case cold but not the internals. I've also noticed some condensation when I do this, which is what stops me from putting anything frozen near the top where it could suck in the moisture (or even droplets of water.)

I'm trying to make it last another year until college is over (unless the next macbook update is great enough to justify selling mine and buying a new one.) If not I will try and make a good make shift mount for it use a fan and something cold, and run it through a TV if I want to watch something long.

(Ik this is an issue with MB's and wish there was a good praticle fix, I see a lot of MB's running hot for long periods of times every day. Because you know the girls have to watch every season of Gossip Girls in one day long marathon.)