laptop for my mom

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sam235, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

hello guys, how r u all?
    my mom wants to buy a new laptop, i have been trying so hard to convince her to get a macbook but she says its to expensive, and shes very picky about the color, she wants it plain silver, i was thinking of getting her a netbook since she likes portability, she only uses the computer for storing music an photos, surfing the net and mini games, do u guys think a netbook will do? thanks alot

2. jav6454, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For now yes, but as these games become more complex in CPU tasking, it won't. Flash is CPU intensive even with GPU aiding.

Have you gone over with her the benefits of the white MacBook? Have you shown her one at the Apple Store? Have you explained the limits of netbooks?

3. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

thanks alot for the reply, yes i have, she tried out my macbook pro and she loved it, but she thinks that 1000 dollars is 2 much for a computer for her needs, i have been looking for all laptops and netbooks to find one thats plain silver, its hard :p

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Spray paint! :D;)

Also, have you shown her the Mac Mini?

5. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

haha i wish i can :p, yes i showed her the mac mini, she hates desktops XD

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then I guess your best bet is to show her how bad a netbook can get after a year. Trust me, they become really slow.

7. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

yup will do, thanks alot for ur time :D i hope i find what she wants very soon so i can get back to my work :p

8. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Uhhh . . . hate to throw a wrench in the works, but have you thought about buying used? You could get a late-2008 MBP that's still got a few months of Applecare left. Or you could look at one of the older (2006?) silver Macbooks.

If it were me, I'd see if I could get a good deal on a used MBP . . . and if you get it with some Applecare left, you can be sure that it'll be in good working order (unless it's had water damage). Sure, it won't be the latest and greatest . . . but chances are that it will end up serving your mom longer and better than anything else you could find at that price.

And, heck, if you were willing to go as high as $899, you could get a refurb. mid-2010 MBP direct from Apple with a full year warranty! But if that's still more than you want to spend, look for the late-2008 model used . . . If you're willing to go on eBay, look for auctions ending 4th of July weekend. (Or, actually, anytime in July - prices tend to be lower then.)

Good luck!

9. jljue macrumors regular

Refurbished or used is the way to go if budget is a problem. I could have sold my old Early 2008 MBP for about $800-900 this past spring pretty easily after fixing it, but mom needed a new computer because her Windows computer caught a virus and crapped out. She now has the old one and loves it, yet all that I had to do when I first bought it broken was replace the top case. Total cost for this purchase was about $600. I have a Late 2008 MBP that I fixed for cheap, saving me about $300 from what it would have cost me used ($1100). For her needs, she probably would have been ok with the 2006 Core Duo MBP that I bought cheap, replaced the logic board in, and then resold.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd agree with the posters who have suggested refurbished or used, especially refurbished; these come with a considerable saving cost-wise, have been individually checked, and yet have the same warranties and guarantees as the new computers.

The other option I'd suggest is to wait for an update and then proceed to buy the model that has been just superceded; there is usually a considerable price-drop on these models, which makes them excellent value, and they have all of the advantages of having been tested and tried, without any of the teething problems of a brand new model.

Cheers and good luck

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Try the refurb;) store?

12. SPBMacintosh macrumors newbie

go refurb [​IMG] or go on ebay and look for the 08 unibody macbook, cos its silver and mine still runs awesome for web browsing and music