laptop insurance and extended warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Nov 2, 2009.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I've just found out that I am too late by a whisker to get Applecare so I need to find an alternative.

Does anyone have any recommendations for companies selling extended warranties, laptop insurance OR both together?

I basically want cover so that for the next 2 years where everything will be covered, theft/ accidental damage / parts breakdown + wearing out

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

How many days past your one year? By whisker I'm thinking a day or two? If so, call up AppleCare and chances are they may allow you to enroll. Had people call in after the one year and still be eligible. Worse case they say no - you have everything to gain and nothing to really lose.

3. dinostars macrumors member

They won't, unless he already bought Applecare and just forgot to enroll it.

4. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

You are correct, they stick to the 365, if not it leaves to much wiggle room for people to use, it sucks but I understand why they do it

5. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My warranty ran out on 20th October (I thought it was 20th Nov). I called up a week after and they said if I had bought my applecare before Oct 20th I could activate it, but I hadn't bought it yet.

I have tried to ask he ebay sellers if they have an applecare they bought from apple before Oct 20th but they have not replied.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The majority of the people reselling on ebay are resellers who procured it from a distributor; not necessarily people who went into the Apple store and said "hrm I need this" and then got home but didn't actually need it so they threw it up on ebay (although it could happen).

Apple will want an actual receipt from a authorized reseller both of which will be difficult to procure on ebay, and of course your ebay recipt will have to show that it was purchased on or before the twentieth, though i'm sure with some fancy photoshopn'...nah...

I can't think of any extended warranties quite as robust as Applecare. squaretrade offers their warranty and I believe some here use that. I've personally doubled up with Applecare for warranty claims and got statefarm to cover me on theft and accidental stupidity.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

AppleCare doesn't pay for theft and accidental damage. Check with your home insurance, it might be included, or it might be possible to add it. I guess the best thing to do is to stash the money for AppleCare away in some safe place where you don't spend it. In case of a MacBook, avoid bending the cables from the power plug (they don't like that), and check out articles about how to look after your battery. Even worst case, if your MacBook breaks down completely, the AppleCare alone is a big chunk out of the cost of a new MacBook if you were to buy a plain replacement for your old one and not a new, improved one.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope. Yes, one year is the rule but have had numerous customers call in they were past it a couple of days and had no problem enrolling them.

Oct. 20th is far from being a "whisker", that's more than a week.

9. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aha squaretrade, thanks for that. Will look into them and see if they will give me a warranty in the UK.

Anyone else have any warranty or insurance companies/ deals they recommend?