Laptop on eBay has bids message in chinese

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Well my laptop now has two bids, but I got a message from someone in Chinese, I can't read it, my listing says no international shipping and no bidders with feedback of 3 or less. This message is from someone in the us or says located in us, with 11 all positive feedback. But I don't know what to do since their message to me through eBay is in Chinese or some oriental writing. Their name is not really a name, just some numbers. What do I do? should I block them?

2. aaronchow macrumors regular

If you post a screenshot here, I can translate it for you if it is in Chinese. But if I were you, I simply wouldn't deal with the person since he/she can't even write in simple English.

3. darksithpro macrumors regular

IMO, if someone cannot talk to you in English when you started the sale in English then It's just not worth the hassle. Communication barrier can lead to a misunderstood, or bad deal. Just disregard it and move on. Not worth your time, or the hassle.

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yep more potential scammers and problems getting to you no doubt using some USA VPN account

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I wouldn't trust this bid any more than the first one you received… ;)

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

The same person who messaged me in Chinese now messaged me in english after winning the auction saying they hope this computer can be used. They don't have a name, just a number for their eBay name.

Is this a scam? They have some positive feedback, and have payed with PayPal already.

I am not sure what to do, should I cancel the sale?

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

There seems to be an influx of 0 feedback users with numbers/digits only. I'd be cautious even if it has tons of good feedback, perhaps an account that has been compromised, look into the account and alert eBay if anything feels off. If you have seller protection and send stuff with tracking/signature confirmation etc you should be covered but always be cautious.

8. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Read all their feedback. How much do they have, for what? The best place to ask about what else to do is at eBay's seller forums.

You'll want some kind of proof of what you put in the box and mail. The best might be to take a continuous video at the post office of you turning the computer on showing it works, putting it into the box and sealing it, and handing it off to the postal employees. But I don't know how practical that is.

9. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I would be extremely cautious not only because of scam but customs, export issues etc

#Queen6 lives that side of the wall/pond and may be able to advise

But personally I would stay away as sources closer to China ie AUS and even a trip to HK seem more logical for a legit buyer

10. leman macrumors 604

Frankly, if the item has been bought and paid for, and you document the package properly (also get a neighbour or a post employee as a witness that you have shipped the right item), what can go wrong? The buyer can of course try to make your life difficult, but I just don't see how they can scam you at this point. Customs and export issues are usually problems of the buyer.

11. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I looked a little more at them, and their profile on eBay, they have 11 at 100% feedback, and I clicked on each of the sellers they bought from, it was a mix of makeup and girl stuff, and tech stuff.

I checked their address, and it is in the US, and I logged into my Paypal, and it shows the same shipping address in the US, and it shows I am eligible for seller protection. It also shows that they have paid already.

So I am really a bit torn as to what to do, I have not done anything yet, my next step would be to purchase postage and insurance.

I read online about scams, and Paypal seller protection can protect against chargeback scams, but not bait and switch scams.

For that, I read that a seller might have a chance at disputing a bait and switch if their original auction listing had the serial number in the photos, mine did.

This whole thing is giving me a bit of a headache, maybe I should just cancel this, and what explanation do I give them if I cancel?

12. leman macrumors 604

Bring a friend to a post office, let them take a video of you showing the serial number, putting the laptop into the parcel and giving it to the clerk. Make sure all numbers and codes etc. are properly seen on the video.

13. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I do, especially since you have so many doubts about it. Trust your instincts. At least then you won't be stressing for near a month in the return period.

15. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also noticed among their feedback, one was private, I read sometimes scammers want to hide feedback.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2017 ---
    oops disregard the above, they had all positive feedback and have been a member since 2015, there were no private feedbacks.

16. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is the 1st message they sent me;

if you see my other thread, since this, they have left a message in English as a note to me the seller on their invoice; it reads;

Note to seller

Hope this is one that can be used

so now I really do not know what to do, should I cancel this sale and relist?

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 2.10.41 AM.png

17. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

The person is just asking if the Macbook is in good condition and if there is warranty: By the way check out:
    translate.google.com
    works amazingly well for most languages, including Chinese.
    The fact that they chose numbers as a name is not unusual, often done in China also for email addresses since Chinese characters cannot be used. I would still definitely be cautious ...

18. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, I checked them out a bit, and they have a US address to ship to, and it is the same shipping address in my papypal to ship to, I logged into my papypal and looked it up. They paid for it already. Also paypal shows the purchase has seller protection.

They have 11 transactions total, all positive, and I looked up the sellers they bought from, was a mix of girl things like make up and tech items.

Also, my listing photos showed the serial number. I had quite a few photos, I thought they would get an idea of the condition in those, and in my description it was listed in good condition.

is it odd then that they left a note with their invoice in English? why did they suddenly switch to English there? if they knew a bit, why didn't they send me the question in English too? why did they use numbers like they are in china if they have a US shipping address?

I am a bit confused as to what to do, should I cancel this sale and then relist? or would I get in trouble with eBay?

19. leman macrumors 604

Wait a moment... the buyer is an USA resident, with full positive review, who already transferred the money for the laptop — and you freak out just because they have left you a message in Chinese? Am I the only one who things that this is getting a bit awkward? Maybe that person thought for some reason that you are Chinese as well and would understand their question? And finally, why is this even on a MacBook Pro forums?

20. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Sad thing is PayPal has given these buyers 180days to dispute

There is not much seller support, esp when they take profits from your earnings.

OP / bait and switch?as in they send back a faulty item but keep yours? Yeah thatd be hard to debate since eBay doesn't give you much choice in restricting returns.
    I sold s ip6+ and the buyer not picked during the buying process and finally purchased then created a case to return it because they claimed it was bent..it clearly wasn't but that's where eBay/PayPal are on the buyers side..it's certainly tough to run businesses through them these days.

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I would never sell anything of significant value on Ebay. The place is overrun with scammers and the buyer protections offered by PayPal make it really easy for you to get screwed.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that sell things like computers on Ebay all the time with no problem. But I would not risk it myself.

22. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Probably more likely that it is a reseller who employs people to bid for these items. The actual person who made the purchase probably isn't the same who sent the message in English and the money.

Not implying that is a scam for that reason, just stating that he is probably dealing with more than one person. Nothing wrong with that if it all checks out OK.

23. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok wait a minute too, I hope it is not I implied I am wrong here, I am trying to protect myself, so I don't like it being implied there is something wrong with me, I could be out a lot of money on this I may not sound politically correct; but heck, I am not going to lose out because of that it is well known there are a lot of scams, would you be fine with this? Would you be willing to lose $$$ just to be or sound politically correct? I am not a rich person, I am just trying to make a bit of money back on my laptop.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2017 ---
    Aplologies for double posts, but I am afraid here, and am asking for help from my fellow Mac people, I thought that was ok. I need to make a decision fast before they come at me with item not shipped claim, I hope you all can understand my anxiety over this. I am no bigot or anything else, I am a college student that can't afford to lose out here. So I don't need to be scolded over this. Thanks to all who have tried to help.

24. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Just protect yourself, get insurance for the value of the item, get tracking and signature confirmation, get a receipt wherever you drop it off at (I like to make sure I get the receipt which confirms the weight as well so they can't also say it was an empty box when clearly there were product in there).

I'd also contact eBay to see what other options you have, try speaking to someone with more seniority as they have better chances of giving you finer details.

I've bought and sold globally, I'm hesitant with global selling but as along as it all checks out, I've only had one issue where it didn't go in my favor as a seller.

Hopefully it helps...