Laptop or Desktop for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ikermalli, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

My birthday is coming up in 15 days and I am going to be getting a mac. I have a windows xp desktop at the moment and I am looking to get a mac. Should I get a notebook or a desktop machine? My family travels frequently and for 2 weeks at a time normally. I just need a reliable machine which doesn't break down/ crash all the time and also doesn't get many viruses. Also I take a lot of pictures and I like to edit them and I hear macs have awesome photo editing software.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm a recent switcher - in April, a birthday present to myself, as it happened, and I love my MBP. There were a number of reasons why I switched; the superb and beautiful design, the sheer aesthetic appeal of the Apple products; the fact that they actually work well - I had bought an iPod over two years earlier and found it excellent and that iTunes knocked the socks off the ghastly Macromedia package found on Windows machines; the quality of Apple service - twice my iPod died within warranty, and twice it was immediately replaced without hassle or seeking refuge in obscure small print; and lastly, your concerns about stability and security, which I shared.

While with Windows, I had actually purchased a robust anti-virus, anti-spam package (most of the people I knew simply downloaded a free online version) and while that reduced the daily deluge of unwelcome visitors to a manageable proportion, it still failed to eliminate them entirely. Re stability, and security, Apple is excellent. The platform does not crash (I remember numerous crashes with Windows) and virus attacks are rare. Spam is negligible (yes a very tiny number slip under the radar but it is miniscule compared with Windows).

Re desktop versus laptop, my advice, for what it's worth, is to go for a laptop. They are portable and, these days, they are perfectly adequate in the power and performance stakes, too. I've used a laptop as my main working computer for around a decade (ok, I travel a good bit, but a lot of the time the laptop sits on desk and works as a desk top). These days, the screens on most laptops are excellent, - especially the MBP (and indeed Sony VAIOs) - and the sort of performance/speed/memory/screen tradeoffs for portability that one had to make until relatively don't really apply any longer to the same extent. That said, my personal recommendation would be the MBP, as I have one and it is excellent, but it's your call and it largely depends on what you wish to do with it. All of the Apple line up are excellent. Good luck with whatever you decide to get; you'll enjoy your birthday present for years.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160HDD
    :apple: iPod classic 30 GB

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I've never owned a laptop, and I rarely need one. There are times however that it sure would be helpful.

I think in the future my ideal set up would be laptop with external monitor and keyboard/mouse at home.

Sounds like you travel at least a tad more than I, so it seems like a laptop might not be a bad idea.

A macbook sounds like a decent choice for you. And yes, the photo software native on the mac is very nice. I worked professionally with Photoshop, etc. for a number of years, and though I still have a copy, for 99.999% of my photos I generally just use iPhoto. Side note: I'd organize all your photos yourself and import links into iPhoto rather than having it sort them, but that's me.

I hope I've been at least marginally helpful.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What do you do for a living? Your profession can determine what you need in terms of power.

5. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im a high school student, I market for my fathers company and I need to keep in touch with customers on the go, I use my phone for that mostly but I cannot use my phone in foreign countries because of charges.

6. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

A lot of people are saying that the new macbooks are coming out in a few months, what will be better about them? Will they change the looks or anything?

7. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, i've decided on a macbook, I have never had a laptop before so this may be a dumb question but... if when I am using my macbook and I am going to stay stationary (watching tv, in the kitchen, etc.) is it bad for my battery if I leave the charger in?

8. atluten macrumors 6502

It's okay if you leave it connected to the charger. You will want to periodically calibrate the battery, about once a month, so you can get an accurate reading on how much power is left. This is essentially just letting the battery discharge until your laptop turns itself off. Cheers.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The new MacBooks will be aluminum. Far better IGPU and bumped specs all around.

10. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't really need the bumped specs, I don't know what an IGPU is and I like the plastic casing as it is, so I will just get the one out right now

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Good choice! It will be fine and for what you are doing, you dont really need much more.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

has it been confirmed its aluminum or are you just speculating? same with the integreated graphics....how do you know exactly?

13. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

alright, thanks. I have asked my parents but they will want some extraordinary reasons of why to get one. I know about the good OS, good UI, hardly any viruses, no crashing, and some other stuff but I do not know about anything AMAZING like that blows windows away. I just know the basics and why I seem to need a laptop. Anyone have any very good reasons?

14. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I think the things you listed above ARE valid reasons as to why it blows Windows away (coming from a recent convert), what else do you need?

OK, no bloatware/junk, you get software with a Mac that you can actually use, You also get a much higher resale value with a Mac when you want to upgrade your gear.

Here's something really cool, you can run Windows on it if you really want/need to, Not only that but I've found that Windows running on a Mac is faster and more stable than a typical Windows based PC, now that's pretty AMAZING in my book!

The MacBook is an excellent choice if that's what you decide to get, but if you've got the extra $$ available, go for a MacBook Pro, it's the laptop equivalent of driving a Lexus or Mercedes IMO, and just a joy to use.

15. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

To my dad 1,149 for a laptop is pushing it. Yeah, those are good reasons to me, if my parents take their laptop which they say is for their work, I will try to get some more info in the next 2 weeks and ask while we are on vacation. I asked for one before and they asked what I needed it for, and I said because we go away a lot and other things, also for use in high school, but they said no, but now that I am working for my dad, hopefully he will say yes.

16. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is something quick I put together in a few minutes, just got info and started putting it down, I am going to get more info and make it look proffesional later

No viruses
    No crashing
    Very good operating system
    Amazing user interface
    More stable
    More expensive than getting a normal laptop, but after all the repairs you need for a laptop it is cheaper
    Better than average battery life
    Beautiful white casing
    Exceptional wi-fi capabilities
    Speedy 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo processor
    1GB of RAM (stock, upgradeable to 4GB)
    120 GB hard drive
    Amazingly light! (under 2.5 lbs)
    Pre-installed with a $350 software package
    Glossy 13.3 inch widescreen LCD monitor

Reviews from customers at Futureshop:

Title: Mac books
    Reviewer: Daniel
    This is an awesome machine, i really didn't know much about computers but this showed me alot about computers. I use my i book every day with out this life would have been hard. Even though it cost alot it is so so so worth a P.C. Hope u buy one of these awesome machines

Title: Macbook
    Reviewer: Jordan
    What an awesome computer Leopard is extremely easy to figure out and use, and contains so many great features. Fast, powerful, and filled with great stuff, I would recommend these laptops to anyone.

Title: Wow
    Reviewer: Jacob
    This product is simply amazing. It does everything and more. WORTH THE MONEY.

Title: Thank you
    Reviewer: Matthew
    I am on student exchange right now, and the macbook keeps it so easy and innovative to connect with fiends and family back home.I am in Germany, and am from Canada so it makes it alot easier for me having my own laptop.If i go on tours or trips away from the house i wouldnt have been able to keep it with me, but the macbook makes this so easy.And.. windows laptops get virus', but macs dont.This laptop makes it sooo easy to transfer all kinds of pictures quickly, and easily.This product is so great.I suggest that if you're going on any exchange program or just want an easy access to fast internet from a reliable product, at this price.. its a steal You should go for it I know I'm glad I did.

17. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seems like the current MB is perfect for you!

Also, you should get it fast as Apple has sent out notes to retailers that they're stopping production soon!

18. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

alright, thanks. When do you think they will be sold out by? My birthday is on august 25th...

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

For what it's worth, the same people who say MacBooks will be aluminium have also left me hanging waiting for the Mac mini to be discontinued. They also want you to believe the Mac mini is going to be shrunk and they also say there is a Mac tablet coming.

In terms of performance in relation to the OP - there isn't going to be anything included which makes the new model worth waiting for. It's going to be a marginal speed bump at best.

20. Mangaroo macrumors regular

as someone else has already mentioned, a possibly strong point for your parents might be that they tend to have a higher resale value ~ instead of beautiful white case :)

21. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, if I ever do sell the macbook it would be in 3 years or so, so I wouldn't be worrying about how much I am selling it for. i might just give it to my dad to put in his office or something like that.

22. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Please also mind that since the last six years..... all Apple products have ruled the 2nd hand World with the highest ever resell values!

23. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

if you do photo editing on the go or download pics from your camera during vacation, upgrade the internal drive to 320GB for ~$100-$125 or buy a portable external drive

24. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

alright thanks, i will be on vacation and will be checking this occasionaly as of tomorrow so I will talk to my dad and may ask for more help in a bit

25. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a