Laptop Replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by engaged44, Jul 12, 2011.

1. engaged44 macrumors member

How many of you use your iPhone as a laptop replacement? My mbp is my main computer but I have to admit I use my iPhone for pretty much everything. I love how I can browse the web anywhere do email take notes watch movies and do everything a laptop can do.

When I need my laptop for something my iPhone can't do, it still comes in handy as I can set up a hotspot with mywi.This came in handy for me when i would take train rides home from the city, I would always have an internet connection.

Honestly I'm not going to upgrade to ios5 at least until there is a jailbreak so I can use mywi and my3g for facetiming anywhere I want.

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

The lack of true multitasking + superfast app switching + big keyboard is one of the reasons why an iPhone, imo, will never be an laptop replacement. As a college student, it would be a pain in the butt to type notes, and read them.

Once you get old, the iPhone will be your worst nightmare as you can't read too well.

3. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

yeah you must be a kid or someone who doesn't NEED a computer to do their job/career/education

good luck trying to do a research paper/long word document/data processing/excel spreadsheets etc etc

or Bluray movies, flash, etc etc

Good luck with that

It will be cold day in Hell when I give up my Core i7 desktop, 24" 1920 x1200 LCD, T3 internet with a full keyboard and MX Performance Mouse for a 3.5" smartphone

4. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I don't understand why people get so worked up when topics like this come up. I'm not a kid, but I don't have any problems at all reading or typing on my phone. I find that I use my phone about 3x as much as I use my computer, but that's mostly because it's more convenient.

5. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I use my laptop for at least 8 hours a day, I doubt anything could ever replace it, just does everything I need.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My iPhone could never replace my laptop. Not even an iPad could.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i tend to agree with the OP i use my iphone for web browsing almost as much if not more then my PC

8. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Um, why are we comparing a smartphone to a computer?

9. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

My iPhone is esentially my Mac whenever I'm away from my MacBook. That said, I use it mostly for internet and simple games while I'm away. If the iPhone replaces a computer for you, you either don't need the computer or haven't bothered to let it reach its potential. No device short of another computer could meet my demands for heavy-duty photo editing, multimedia viewing, and gaming. That said, I got my computer knowing that I would be able to use this and nothing more for what I need it to do. I suggest that the OP takes stock of whether his computer purchase was really worth it before making another comparison between a smartphone and a computer.

10. engaged44 thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't say it's a permanent replacement. I am a college student studying public relations and journalism so I do need my MBP and use it everyday. Sometimes when i don't bring it to class the iPhone is great to take notes with.

I don't think it can replace a desktop to it's fullest potential but it definitely can replace the need to carry a laptop to take simple notes browse the web or do email. If I am gonna bang out a paper or do research I prefery my MacBook over everything.

I still think in ways though it can replace a laptop. A good example is now as I am on my iPhone currently posting this rather than booting up my MacBook pro to browse the forums.

11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You can't replace a full tactile laptop with a touchscreen phone. End of story. Attempts may be made but one way or another you'll be crawling back to a PC or a Mac.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I use a MBP for everything except making phone calls ... the only thing an iPhone trumps the Mac is the phone part

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I do :)

Im a minimalist so I use my iPhone for every single electronic need of mine:
    - Laptop? Use bluetooth keyboard + screen mirroring on LCD monitor
    - GPS? Use Navigon
    - Game Console? Use snes4iphone + bluetooth wiimote + screen mirroring on LCD monitor
    - Television? Netflix / Hulu / Crackle + screen mirroring on LCD monitor
    - Digital recorder? Recorder app already pre installed
    - Phone? As long as you don't hold it the wrong way... kidding ;)
    - Camera? iPhone 4 has one of the best cameras on a phone you can get
    - Flash drive? Safari download manager + Dropbox

Most people who aren't techies just need a computer to surf the web and write a report or two. If you use a Bluetooth keyboard and screen mirror your iPhone on a LCD monitor (w/ VGA cable and jailbreak app displayout) I don't see why an iPhone can't do everything for you like mine does for me.

14. ctbear macrumors 6502a

But why would you replace a laptop with your iPhone? It makes no sense. It's like saying I walk 5 hours to work instead of driving because it doesn't cost me gas money and either way I will arrive at my office

15. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

The only person I could see using an iPhone as a laptop replacement is my mom because she doesn't use a computer in the first place and only uses her phone for email, facebook, and web. I think an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard would be good for your uses but would still be a bit cumbersome when trying to do research papers. I definitely wouldn't get rid of your macbook if I were you but when it is time to replace it you might want to go for an ipad.

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I would never be able to only use an iPhone. Maybe when I was 16, but in university I need a laptop for much more than just internet. For example, anyone who does image/video editing immediately needs something more.

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I see what your saying but the question I personally asked myself is this:

Why would I even get a laptop?

No matter what I was getting an iPhone which means I already have the old school gaming emulators (plus wiimote) on my phone. Of course I don't want to always play them on a small screen or watch Netflix/Hulu/Crackle on my small screen so I purchase an LCD monitor and the Apple VGA cable to screen mirror my phone to the monitor.

No point for me to get a laptop at this point at all. Only thing other people need it for that the iPhone can't do is photo/image editing, music editing, torrenting, and other random stuff I don't need. Of course this isn't for everyone but I gotta say I love having an iPhone that takes care of every electronic need of mine :)

18. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I love using my iPhone, but it can't replace my laptop. But it does compliment it in many ways, which is why i enjoy having an iPhone and a MacBook Pro.
    I can't imagine using the iPhone as my primary computing device.

If the iPhone replaces your laptop, then chances are you really didn't need a laptop in the first place.

19. CW Jones macrumors 6502

I am using mine as an "on the go" laptop for right now. With my job I can't bring a laptop (let alone my beautiful maxed out MBP) with me. Ver rarely can I get a wifi signal on my laptop.

I have only had my iphone 4 for 2 weeks and this thing is simply amazing. It will never completely get rid of my MBP but for long weekends away from my house up at the lake my iphone fills in perfectly for me.