Laptop seized, what to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cjpadlock, Jun 23, 2007.

1. cjpadlock macrumors newbie

Hey Macrumors,

So I'm writing this message on my familys dell dimension pc. I can't stand it much longer. About two months ago I had a shiny new Macbook 2Ghz. Being in highschool, I brought it everyday to take notes etc. Well two months ago, A friend of mine borrowed it. What she used it for was my worst nightmare. Just two weeks after VT, she sent a prank to a teacher using fakesend.com, Allthough it wasnt intended to be, it was a death threat. Well she was caught and my laptop was taken by the police as evidence. They called me today and told me that because it was involved in a criminal investigation there would be no way of getting it back untill everything is over with, which by his estimate will be 2 years, because of the multiple people involved and there seperate trials. I now have no laptop, no mac. I spend my life savings on that thing and can't afford a new one. All the money I have to my name is what I was saving for the iPhone, which will go to a new laptop now.

Do you guys think there's anyway for me to claim the laptop? Can they just take it away from me like that? I mean I'm 16, I just bought it and now its gone. What about a charity website? something like helpmegetmymacbookback.com, Do you guys think it would be worth something like that to help raise some money to get it back. Life without my macbook sucks. All the things I'm interested in like video production and web site design have come to a halt, I need my macbook!

What do you guys think I should do?

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I would say go to your "friends" parents, and demand that they buy you a new laptop, and that they can keep the old one when it finally gets given back to you.
    A charity website wouldn't really work, since people wont really trust you, unless you can show police reports, and genuine letters from all the parties involved. It's natural to be cautious of people asking for cash....

3. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Did you ask the friends parents to buy you a new one?

I dont think a website is appropriate because as bad as it may seem, you getting a new macbook doesnt really constitute a worthwhile charitable cause and there are worse things in the world than being laptopless.

4. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

i would ask them to buy you a new one, or take em to court

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Broken record here, asking the friend's parents for a replacement unit is the only real way to gain any compensation.

If you're in a real bind, iBook G4s can be had for relatively cheap now, at around 500 or so. Sure, its not an Intel Processor, but the FireWire and similar form factor will mimic the Macbook in most respects.

good luck getting something!

6. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I don't quite understand why they can't just remove the HD and give you back the computer. All the info they need is contained on that HD, not the MB itself. It's quite easy to remove at that.

7. cjpadlock thread starter macrumors newbie

true true, I only had that thought because of other successes I have seen where people were begging others to buy them a mac or what not. Well I signed a consent form thinking it would take a week or so, not 2 years, maybe I can get a copy of that, other than that they havent given me anything... you could read about it in the ann arbor news, i think its online im not sure. I have my suspension notice detailing that i got suspended for having "the schools wifi on my laptop" (really just an excuse for not wanting to deal with me i guess)

8. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

There is a serious problem in our society when one believes because they have had an event of misfortune that really doesn't impact their daily lives that begging strangers to pay for a luxury item is the answer.

9. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Sorry about your bad luck.....hold onto your laptop like it's a bodily appendage next time, people who need to borrow computers can always go to a library, computer lab, etc.

I can't believe they let you guys have laptops in school. I graduated high school in 2001 and we weren't allowed to have cell phones even if they were turned off (they somehow thought that cell phones would allow us to call drug dealers????). The only way you could have a cell phone was to keep it in your car during school hours, but only seniors could drive to school, which is pretty stupid since there was only pay phone at the school and you'd have to wait in line the longest time to make a call.'

So I snuck mine in with me anyway! :eek:

I digress...I agree that you should go to the girl's parents, or maybe better yet, if your parents are willing have them go to her parents. I can't believe they haven't already offered amends.

Oh honey he's 16!

10. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I figured he was young(er), but I still stand by my statement.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Having the entire computer is far more effective as evidence because you'll also have the MAC address.

12. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

LOL that is one of the weirdest things ive ever heard LOL

instead of blaming that stupid girl for the seized laptop, why dont you blame cho seung hui. hes the one that created this whole situation.

13. jellz macrumors regular

I hope that was sarcasm. I did not find that one bit funny.

14. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

While true that info can easily be written down.

15. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

It is ultimately his fault, but I don't think he's gonna get another MacBook from him. ;)

I agree with nickster, her parents should buy him a new MacBook, otherwise he could possibly take them to court.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, it was the stupid girls' decision to send a threat. I don't think Cho's goal was to get a MacBook taken away from some kid he doesn't know. Why do people in this country love placing the blame on everyone but the person who's truly at fault?

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think this would have happened without his actions. Death threats are usually taken pretty seriously.

That's probably the only way of doing it. The chances of getting something being used as evidence in a (felony?) criminal case (never mind 3 of them) is below slim to none. I'm not sure if small claims would help though.

18. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

why do you make generalizations about whatever country youre referring to from my facetious statement? why is the sky blue? :confused:

19. jellz macrumors regular

His/her username is tequillaboobs. I wouldn't argue with this person. :rolleyes:

20. cjpadlock thread starter macrumors newbie

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, you can certainly take her parents to court, well you and your parents can. I believe that it will eventually get you something, but it may also take time. The fact is, the girl's parents are in far worse shape and the thought of buying a new laptop no doubt has not crossed their mind. That said, you can try the court route for sure.

Now I could not agree more. Later statements refer to him being young. I see that as a non-issue. I've seen people from all ages beg for new things and this will be no exception. I find the whole online begging to be such a disgrace and if this kid wants to do it and it works then more power to him. However, I also dislike the thought that it is charity. Charity comes to people who need it. You are on a computer posting...you need nothing in life.

I get that you paid for this yourself, but you also had to have known something as you know about the site or seem to know. I say own up to the possibility that you're not getting it back and take them to small claims court.

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Do you see why you don't borrow expensive things, or your things period for that matter. It's a tough way to learn and I am sorry for that. But not only are you with out a laptop that cost you/your parents some cash, but you are out of all your notes. I would assume that the school year is over for you now, but I bet finals were a little tough without the notes.

I find it really really disturbing that after someone uses your laptop to send terroristic threats to people and gets your laptop taken by the police for what could be the life of the computer you would still call them a friend. That person is not a friend, that person is a complete and utter jerk, someone who only is thinking of themselves, a douche nozzle.

Clean out your noodle, This "person" did sent out a threat as a threat. There is a lot to be learned from this. I hope you don't repeat this mistake again.

Good luck getting the laptop or compensation for it.

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You can really get suspended for accessing your school wi-fi network on your laptop???

I can only think of 3 cases:

1. It was encrypted, and you (or someone else) cracked it and accessed it with your laptop. OK, that's sort of chicken feed, but still a bit dodgy. Suspension ok. Unless lots of other people do it without getting suspended.

2. It wasn't encrypted and your laptop connected to it automatically. Suspension is NOT ok. Fight this all the way. (unless you don't want to draw more attention to yourself.)

3. It was encrypted, and they gave the password to you/school students for your use. Suspension is NOT ok in this case.

Oh I just thought of another case:

4. It was encrypted and they gave you the password, to only be used at authorised times, or with authorised equipment, and this was clearly explained to you and laid out in writing somewhere accessible to you. And somehow you broke this rule.

So which was it? Education is valuable, and you don't want to be missing school. (tho it can't be long till the summer holidays)

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

taking them to court would be hard as the OP gave the person the laptop. If the person took it, that would be a different story *wink wink*