Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Thanks goldenmackid.... From the link you shared, I could see that this cable is already supplied with the speakers.

What is the best method of using a mic with these speakers?

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I just got a pair of M-Audio BX5as They're studio monitors, so a bit 'flat' in a great way. They sound more real than any speakers I've owned. And you can always add some EQ from iTunes. They might be a bit larger than you imagined, but the price from B and H Photo might surprise you. Add it to the cart to see what I mean.

+1

I returned my Swans D1080MKII 08s in favor of the BX5as. World of a difference.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
@Xombie11

Do you use Bx5a for listening to music or do you mix songs with that? For a casual listener and trying to use this with live instruments how much will Bx5a make a difference?

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
@Xombie11

Do you use Bx5a for listening to music or do you mix songs with that? For a casual listener and trying to use this with live instruments how much will Bx5a make a difference?

I do not partake in any sort of music creation; I'm a casual listener with a library of 320kbps mp3s and a few lossless flacs.

Regarding using these with live instruments, I'm sure they'd sound very good. They have all the proper inputs you'd need (XLR + 1/4in) and are biamplified, with each driving an impressive amount of sound... even off my Macbook Pro's onboard.

The first thing that came to mind after listening to these was how "accurate" they were, so take that as you will (especially in comparison to my previous bookshelf monitors). I have no doubt that they would be strong in uses apart from casual listening.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Unfortunately the new AV40s left speaker seems to be failing.

This happened on the very first day too immediately when i plugged it after un-boxing the sets. On that day I was skeptical about the laptop sound card so I did not mind when left was muting automatically then I uninstalled the driver and it installed automatically again. Then on for couple more days it was working fine.

Yesterday, suddenly the left did not throw out any music but the right was rocking. I connected my mobile phone headphones and it was working on both the sides.

So has the speakers failed me on me?

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Yes the speakers have failed on me. I'll be returning it soon. Is there any other reliable brand within 200$ for the 2.0 speakers?

Most of them are saying Audio Engine A2s are downgrade from AV-40.

Shortlisting the monitors within $200 at B&H led to these brands:

- Alesis
- Behringer
- CakeWalk
- Fostex
- Ikey Audio
- JBL
- KRK
- Mackie
- M-Audio
- Samson
- Tech Pro
- Yamaha

Can someone recommend a reliable brand out of these....???

Thanks for reading the post.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I used Behringer's B2031As with no problem for a couple of months, however they aren't known to have the greatest reliability.

I'd check out some local Craigslist, etc. Speakers are often times used for little time and dumped pretty quick for specific jobs. IMO, under $1k the best speakers are some discontinued stuff: NS10s, original V series, etc.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Thanks goldenmackid.

I'm very skeptical of replacing the AV40. So was thinking of something that would be reliable, in the sense with good customer support.

I'm really confused in choosing the brand. I'm in noway buying Bose, not the AV-40 again. How about CakeWalk, Ikey, KRK?

Now I have extended my budget to $300 but I want it to be reliable and not like the AV40s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.