Laptop stolen, can you help recover?? So close!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kenny Pollock, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Kenny Pollock macrumors regular

Been tracking my stolen laptop via a trail of IP addresses ;-)

Got two IPs. A house and a hotel room. They use both every day.

Got subpeonas sent out to both ISPs, the smaller one gave us the info to the hotel room right away.

Cops went to the hotel with my MAC address and ran a netscan, and saw they were connected wirelessly to the access point in the hotel. The network is secured, so they're definitely a hotel resident.

Now, problem is... they couldn't find it! They looked all around, and confirmed with me that it was online with that IP... but had no clue how to track via WiFi signal, and neither do I.

Any clues??

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Try triangulating it's signal? In Wi-Fi there is a signal that goes and that comes to and from the router.

Try using the signal from the laptop to the router to triangulate it.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'm not tech savvy enough but maybe this article has something in it that can give you are someone else an idea of how to do it...

Article

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

5. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

+1

but seriously though, i'd take a look online as there has got to be ways to do it! good luck with getting it back and keep us posted, this sounds like an epic story :) May i also ask how you've been tracking it in the first place? sounds awesome!
    Also, could you not wait in the foyer for someone to walk out and notice they may have the laptop on their person?

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Can't they cross-check the guest names against the dates you see the laptop logged in to hotel's WiFi network? There can't be that many guests that would match against a very specific set of dates.

7. aliciakeys macrumors newbie

It may happen that they might be using proxies for getting these things to be done. Not sure they won't go without proxy, IMHO.

8. Queso macrumors G4

It's more likely a staff member. Both the hotel and residential IPs during the same day?