Laptop Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaneuk, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

I'm not sure if this is the right section, or even the right forum! But I wanted to ask here because this is one of the nicest forums I've been on. Basically, I have an old Packard Bell Easynote L4, which was running so slow on windows Xp, so I decided to install ubuntu. It's working fine, I just have a couple of problems.

1. The batterys completely dead and I don't know where the cheapest place to buy new ones is.

2. The laptop decides to turn off if it's moved, I think it has something to do with the power port, does anyone know how to fix this?

3. I'd like to know how much ram and other upgrades I can add but for some reason the crucial scanner thing isn't working. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

1. eBay is the cheapest source I know of for new third party batteries for laptops, phones or any consumer electronics that uses specialty rechargeable batteries. There are many reputable battery sellers on eBay just sort by price+shipping and narrow down to the "buy it now" auctions.

2. Either the port is damaged or where it mounts is damaged. If you are lucky the port is connected internally by cable to the motherboard. Which is a relatively easy replacement. If it is soldered you will have to likely completely disassemble the laptop and solder on a new power jack.

3. It can hold 2x1GB DDR333 memory.

4. Shaneuk thread starter macrumors regular

Shaneuk

Thank you.

Could anyone tell me what hard drives are compatible with this laptop, I'm looking for either a 64gb SSD or larger normal hard drive.

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

This seems like a lot of money and effort for an older computer... (especially if you are going to go the SSD route).

You are going to spend a few hundred it looks like - why not just buy a cheaper windows laptop and put Ubuntu on it? It wouldn't cost *that* much more necessarily but would probably be a better deal in the long term.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If this isn't your main computer, I don't see the point of upgrading it. Its very old so your money would be better off in something newer.