Laptop using iPhone to go wireless with EDGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrtravel123, Oct 25, 2007.

1. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

Has this topic been discussed before? Excuse me if it has! I haven't seen it discussed before... but then again I could have missed something.

Basically, I think it'd be great if my MB could use my iPhone to access the EDGE network. In short, if I'm paying $20/month for unlimited data... why can't I get my laptop to connect to my iPhone (via the normal connector)... and then surf the net (etc) using the iPhone as my "antenna" for my laptop?

Would anyone else think this was cool? You'd essentially get a full screen for internet surfing vs. a small iPhone screen. Imagine at faster (3G) speeds in the future too. For me, I'd use it when Wi-Fi wasn't available for my MB.... but I could get and EDGE signal.

Well, maybe there are technical difficulties... and maybe AT&T wouldn't like this. But, I think it'd be cool.

2. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I haven't tried it myself but I think what your referring to is tethering ... I think there might be a thread buried in this forum from a few weeks ago where users successfully tethered their iPhones.

I don't think AT&T condones this type of access btw.

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

A laptop loading full-blown webpages via EDGE?

That does sound a bit painful.

4. mrtravel123 thread starter macrumors regular

re: loading full-blown web pages via EDGE...

i really don't know how much slower that'd be than the same information being downloaded into my iPhone. sure, it's more screen... but the data is the same, right? well, maybe more pixels needing to be filled on a 13" screen, however. hmmm. i don't know.

well, if i can't have this "tethering" feature... how about my apple wireless keyboard syncing with my iPhone so that i can type normally while sitting at the airport for an hour?

i'm mostly thinking of the e-mailing advantages (typing simple text)... not surfing intensive websites for hours.

just dreaming.... especially if 3G was eventually a possibility. tethering + 3G = *smile*

5. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I don't think it's much different then the iPhone loading full blown web pages via edge. just on a bigger screen.

6. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

no more painful than on the iPhone, I'd imagine, eh?

7. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I used to do this with my Treo on the Verizon EVDO network, and it was a great alternative if you had poor WiFi, or just needed a connection.

In the case of the iPhone, Apple has decided that you dont need this functionality, so it isn't an option. You can connect to your iPhone via bluetooth, but all you can do is see it, thats it. No syncing, or tethering.

So your only solution is to get an AT&T wireless card, and pay $59.95 a month for the data plan, or switch to a Treo on Verizon, and do it for free on the included email/data plan.

8. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

You can actually do this with most phones out there. However, like already mentioned, Apple decided to remove this feature (probably one of AT&T's requests).

As for speeds, its really not all that bad. EDGE is 3-4x as fast as a dial up 56k modem give or take. Its actually quite a bit faster than browsing on the iPhone itself, thanks to the laptops superior CPU speeds.

9. Mack1N macrumors newbie

i used to use my sammy i730(verizon) as a dial-up bluetooth modem. its a great alternative if you dont have any wifi around you, or when you're on the go, the downfall is when bluetooth is enabled..the battery life on my phone gets drained..and it disconnects every now and then..which is annoying!!!

Attached Files:

10. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Thethering can be done via a hack on the iPhone. Speed was not to bad but there is an issue with websites not wanting to load unless you visit them first on the phone, which sucks. Also it does violate the TOS by at&t and if they notice data use way more then the "norm" they may charge you and/or shut you down.

11. macattack5 macrumors newbie

I saved the instructions from a post in the forums a while back, forgive me whoever the author of this was. And it does work, not extremely fast, but useful.

1. Download AppTapp Installer from here:
    http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

Run the program. It is extremely straight forward. This will install the Installer.app program on your phone. You will see a new icon on your phone for Installer.app.

2. Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:
    0. BSD Subsystem
    0. Term-VT100

3. Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

4. On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

5. On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.
    0. IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    0. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

6. On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."
    0. IP address: 192.168.1.101
    0. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.
    0. IP address: 192.168.1.100
    0. Port: 1080

Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

If you want to tether a second time, start at step 3.

12. usvi4me macrumors member

Trinidad, West Indies - soon St. Thomas USVI
    I am running 1.1.1 and installed Term--vt100. I can only type three characters and it returns with process completed.

I am running OS 10.4.10 an I on ly see IPv6 ????

Any recommendations ?

13. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Might as well give credit where credit is due:

(Note: Skip the first post in this thread and go directly to post #8 by The General).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=345976

The answer to your question can be found in the form of a screenshot
    in the above linked thread (post #64), along with many other solutions...

I have tethered successfully with my Macbook, and it is indeed faster than the iPhone
    loading pages on Edge; must be the faster processor (not to mention 2 GB of RAM).

It is true that often you have to begin loading the page on the iPhone first,
    however the vast majority of pages I visit are on my iPhone's bookmark bar.
    Another solution (pointed out in that thread) is to hit the enter/return key a
    bunch of times until the page loads.

FWIW, I'm still running firmware 1.02, so can't confirm that it still works with 1.1.1...