larger iPad ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DeeEss, Jun 28, 2011.

1. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Would love a 15" iPad. There was talk of the possibility of one a while back, what do you think the chances of this happening?

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

slim dude.
    i doubt theres a large market for a big ass ipad.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Talk of a possibility" suggests that there was talk from Apple insiders with a lead on products in the pipeline. What you meant to say was "rank speculation."

4. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I think we will eventually see a variety of sizes of iPads, but I have no idea when. As for which large sizes might be possible, think in terms of screen resolution that matches or doubles the current one so as to minimize the problem of software mismatching.

From day one I've predicted that the iPad market will eventually be like the iPod market: a variety of products at different sizes, capacities and price points. But the critical distinction with the iPad is the app market and the need to standardize resolution. But within that limitation, why wouldn't Apple eventually make an iPad family that includes a jumbo version?

5. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

haha that's funny image... dude holding a 15" iPad.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I want one, but I have my doubts Apple will make one.

All I want it a Tablet that's the same size as a typical Laptop, not netbook screen. So a 14" or 15" please.

Not for on the move, but for relaxing at home use.

Whilst 10" is an ok compromise size, it is a COMPROMISE size.
    It's a bit big for on the go travelling and it's a bit small for relaxed evening movie viewing of gaming with lots of fine detail on screen.

I personally would buy a 14" / 15" model in an instant.

And despite any naysayers here, I would bet a lot of money that a larger model would sell very well if customers has a choice.

7. Carouser macrumors 65816

Screens larger than 10" can work well for traditional computing because the mouse amplifies hand movements. People don't slide their mice 15 inches back and forth across a desk.

When someone has good UI data on touch interfaces for 15" screens using iOS (rather than more technical applications) then they might have an answer to this question.

For those who want a larger size for movie viewing then you will be happy to hear that the iPad 2 is capable of AirPlay and wireless mirroring.

As for how well it would sell, self-serving speculation is worthless.

8. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Why not just buy a netbook?

9. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

My betting is that Apple did a bit of market research before they decided what size to make an iPad, and that having decided not to make it smaller or larger than it currently is, the chances of them changing their minds any time soon are fairly slim.

10. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use it for work. Sat around a table discussing and managing projects. Visiting clients and showing them my portfolio. A 15" iPad would be a total game changer and a big seller I think for anyone that does this. For which it is a decent sized market. Any creative who shows a folio for a start. As big as the market need for a mac pro or a 17" macbook pro etc.

I'd buy in a heart beat even if it cost as much or more than a Mac Pro. It's about the right tool for the right job...

11. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure about that. I think it was more based on the cost of production and the availablity and resource-ability of the 10" screen. I really think in time when the cost of producing a 15 touch screen becomes viable on mass scale we will see them.

12. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha. Yes you are very right.

13. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

LOL, it would be funny watching someone trying to take a picture with it, though. :D

14. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Smaller maybe, biggger, I doubt it, but, stranger things have happened!

15. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Of course cost is a factor, but bear in mind that Apple are not now, nor ever have been, all that concerned at setting premium pricing for products they feel fit a market they wish to exploit and believe they can exploit. If they felt there was a profitable market for an iPad of smaller or larger size, there would have been such a product already. Likewise, if they feel the marketplace evolves at some point to render a smaller or larger iPad a viable product, they will undoubtedly look to exploit that option too. But you asked for opinions from others on what the chances are that they will, and given Apple's record of success over the past years at exploiting the market for premium products, it seems pretty obvious to me that they don't place cost as a priority when developing their products.

Thus, notwithstanding your thoughts, the chances of a 15" iPad any time soon still seem very slim to me, simply because the market for such a product doesn't appear to have shifted. That doesn't mean there is no interest in such a potential product, just that Apple have shown they have a pretty good grasp of what their customers want, and must therefore have concluded that such a product is not it.

16. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Why stop at 15"? I'd replace all my kitchen cupboard doors with door-sized iPads if Apple made them. :D

18. Superhonkey macrumors newbie

I would LOVE a slightly larger iPad. 14"-15" would rule. Heck, even a solid 12" would be cool with me. I'd buy it without a second thought. I read a lot a of comics on the iPad and a slightly larger screen that could display the full page size without any reduction would rule.

19. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i personally think the next big thing will be a door sized iPad so that facetime will be like talking right to the person and not looking at a little screen...:D
    and just think of the gaming possibilities...

landscape would be a pain though...LOL :p

20. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Winner! Now that would be nice...

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

When the Tablet market gets near a saturation point I think we will see a lot more variations as companies try and offer customers different products in an attempt to make THEIR model stand out.

I've no doubt we will have tablets of quite a few sizes in years to come.

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

In other words, they'll do it to differentiate their product rather than because such a screen size is optimal for some users.

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's like anything.

If the whole world owned 10" tablets and you wanted to create your own niche to make you product stand out, then you may offer a 7" or a 14" model.
    They you will at least offer something others don't.

We're a long way from that. Probably in time it will settle to just a few standard sizes like Laptops have.

It's the sort of thing that will just work itself out over time.