Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
For the screen dimensions, Apple uses 'points' as a point of reference and maps these points on pixels. As a result, elements have a fixed size regardless of the resolution (i.e. an icon an iPad 2 is just a big as on a retina iPad 3).

If we use the 'points' as a frame of reference in stead of actual pixels, there are two different densities (163 PPI and 132 PPI):

iPhone (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S)
- Screen width: 1.96" / 320 points
- Density: 320/1.96 = 163 points per inch

iPad Mini
- Screen width: 4.74" / 768 points
- Density: 768/4.74 = 163 points per inch

iPad 1/2/3/4
- Screen width: 5.82" / 768 points
- Density: 768/5.82 = 132 points per inch

To summarize, iOS devices are available with screen sizes that allow for two different physical sizes of elements. My estimate would be that the 132 PPI of the iPad will some day be used for a larger iPhone. Currently, the iPhone 5 has 4" screen with 163 PPI. For a larger phone with 132 PPI, The diagonal then would be:

- Current 16:9 diagonal: 4"
- New 16:9 diagonal: (163/132)*4 = 4.94"

So there you have it, the larger iPhone will be 4.94", thus being 'the inverse' of the iPad mini, which is an iPad with iPhone resolution, while the larger iPhone would be an iPhone with iPad resolution.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
...so, by your logic, they're not only going to make the next iPhone a full inch wider (making it completely impossible to one hand or fit into most pockets), but are going to make it the outdated 4:3 aspect ratio as well?

Sorry, but not likely.

Comment

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
...so, by your logic, they're not only going to make the next iPhone a full inch wider (making it completely impossible to one hand or fit into most pockets), but are going to make it the outdated 4:3 aspect ratio as well?

Sorry, but not likely.

Agreed. One hand use and comfortably fitting my pockets is much better than the oversized behemoths coming out from competitors.

Comment

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets

Sorry, but not likely.

agreed don't think they will be going back to 4:3

Comment

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Not going to happen OP. Please stop this.

4.7 or 4.8 Max. Something like below that will still fit in ones pocket easily and can be operated with one hand.

Attachments

• 4.8.png
    4.8.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 109
Comment

TC03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008

Sorry, but not likely.
Absolutely not. I multiplied the ratio of resolutions with 4, which is a 16:9 diagonal measurement. So the calculated value is also a 16:9 diagonal measurement.

Read again and read carefully. Resolutions/'densities' say nothing about the aspect ratio. Think twice please.

----------

That would be too bad. I'll make sure I get the 5s.
Well my guess would be that they would keep two sizes around, just as they do for the iPad currently.

I too prefer 4". :)

----------

Agreed. One hand use and comfortably fitting my pockets is much better than the oversized behemoths coming out from competitors.

agreed don't think they will be going back to 4:3
Yeah, you two are mistaken too. I never claimed they would change the aspect ratio, I calculated a 16:9 diagonal.

Comment

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Another prediction thread that will be wrong. This is the 8372nd thread about the next sized iphone that was wrong. They are always good for giggles.

Comment

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
There will come a time when Apple will look to upgrade the retina display or introduce a new technology when it comes to screens..So we should not take RETINA DISPLAY for granted when it comes to the Iphone 6 (They could introduce something new, especially given the fact that whatever they eventually field will likely not change for a couple of years)..

I find the size of the HTC One (4.7 Inches) to be the upper limit as far as portability and screen experience is concerned...I have always liked the screen size of the GS4 but would never want to use it routinely... A 4 inch screen does look a lot dated, especially for me given that i have probably doubled the time spent on the internet or watching media on my phone compared to a couple of years ago.

Comment

TC03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I did... and the "Last edited by TC03; Today at 09:46 PM." tells me that I likely read it correctly the first time as well and that you later changed it.

Feel free to kill the snarky attitude now.
No I just added some words too make clear that it's 16:9, I did not change the (extremely simple) calculation.

----------

cut the ipad retina display to 1136x640.

What size is that?
4.94".

----------

There will come a time when Apple will look to upgrade the retina display or introduce a new technology when it comes to screens..So we should not take RETINA DISPLAY for granted when it comes to the Iphone 6 (They could introduce something new, especially given the fact that whatever they eventually field will likely not change for a couple of years)..

I find the size of the HTC One (4.7 Inches) to be the upper limit as far as portability and screen experience is concerned...I have always liked the screen size of the GS4 but would never want to use it routinely... A 4 inch screen does look a lot dated, especially for me given that i have probably doubled the time spent on the internet or watching media on my phone compared to a couple of years ago.
HTC One does have a lot of bezel though.

Comment

TC03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
You did a bit of high school maths and figured out Apple's future iPhone strategy? Go home OP, you're drunk.

Alex
It's the same strategy they applied to the iPad mini, so why not? Makes a lot of sense imo.

Comment

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
People with ginormous mobile phones aka with bad & tacky tastes, go away!

Comment

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If there will be a larger iPhone, I suspect this would be the screen size. ;)

It seems a big "IF" at this point.

They may eventually release a bigger screened phone and I'm sure some will say "told you so" to us doubters, but if you make a claim every year it will more than likely be right eventually no matter how outlandish.

It's like people have been saying Apple are going to release a cheap iPhone for about 4years, and they've only just came out with the 5c, which is ever so slightly cheaper.

It's the same with a bigger screened iPhone. People have been saying one is on the horizon for years, but so far there hasn't been any solid information to indicate there's anything in the works.

Comment

TC03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
It seems a big "IF" at this point.

They may eventually release a bigger screened phone and I'm sure some will say "told you so" to us doubters, but if you make a claim every year it will more than likely be right eventually no matter how outlandish.

It's like people have been saying Apple are going to release a cheap iPhone for about 4years, and they've only just came out with the 5c, which is ever so slightly cheaper.

It's the same with a bigger screened iPhone. People have been saying one is on the horizon for years, but so far there hasn't been any solid information to indicate there's anything in the works.
I'm not saying it is on the horizon, I don't know. But if it were, these are my thoughts on the screen size.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.