Last Day to Return my MacBook, What Do i dO?? $180 restocking fee

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fred87nc, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Fred87nc macrumors member

What do you guys think? Today is the last day to return my Macbook, Thing is, I didn't get my Macbook with a shining new ipod, printer, and estudent discount. I paid the regular price at BestBuy and got Mobile Me and iWork for free. Which I'm guessing I have to return it also if I return the computer.THey aren't open. 1174 dollars is a lot of money for a computer if they come out with another one in a month.

I'm thinking of taking the loss of 180 dollars and get the new one. Possibly at a cheaper price so It might cover the loss if the Aggressive pricing thing is true.

So in all, What do you guys suggest? Also anyone know how to get out of the restocking fee? or any work arounds. If i return it as a defective do you think I get another 14 days to think about it and can i easily trick them to believe them it's defective and if so how?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

It is a gamble that I personally wouldn't take with the "agressive pricing". If you really want the new MacBook and don't mind taking a loss then it would probably be a good idea to return it. I wouldn't try to trick them though. That sort ofthong rarely works.

3. Rondue macrumors regular

being in retail, if you exchange most bestbuys wont charge you restocking fees. and also what wouldnt hurt to ask is if you took the refund in a giftcard they also might not charge you the restocking fee as well. explain the situation being honest wont hurt you because most Geeksquad agents know whats going on. Tell them you want to purchased the new one when it comes out and you would be willing to from BBY if they didnt charge the restocking fee, and get the refund put on a gift card.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Seems like you shouldn't have made the purchase in the first place.

Having made the purchase already, I'd keep it.

5. emt8q5 macrumors member

I would highly recommend returning it. Apple's "aggressive pricing point" should help to offset the hit you take on the restocking fee. Regardless, the new macbooks are likely to be very cool with both aesthetic and performance improvements. You'll likely regret it if you don't.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP you didn't get a shiny new iPod, however, you did get whatever BB's promo was at the time (iWork & Mobile Me) for free. Either way the iPod is irrelevant.

No they don't. :)

+1 here.

Isn't there a 14-day return period? If so, then surely you were aware of such rumors prior to purchase. That is, unless you've been under a large rock. It does seem as though your mind is made up so go to the store, tell them whatever little story you were going to tell them, and get your cash back less restocking fee. I agree with restocking fees in these cases because I see far too many people get wiggly about the so-called rumors and yet they're too impatient to wait around so they essentially "rent" their new computer. They find some defect and end up returning it. You can say that's not what you did but we'd both know that is exactly what you're doing.

Now how pissed will you be if on 10/14 a new MB doesn't come out or the specs/price aren't nearly as great as you thought they'd be? :cool:

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

What?????

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Get out of it? Go back in time and stop yourself from opening it.
    You commit fraud if you pretend it's defective. That's illegal.

Keep it and be happy. You shouldn't have bought it now if you didn't need it now.

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I think people are thinking the "aggressive pricing" is more than it is. Right now it I just a rumor and even if there is a price cut I highly doubt it will be substantial. I'm thinking $50-100. If that is aggressive to you then I guess it is.

To the OP. Be very careful trying to con others. First, karma will come back one day and another you run the risk of getting caught.

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

are you kidding me?

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

+1. Or it may simply be more product for the same money, which is typical apple.

12. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

since youre asking us this question about whether on having a new macbook, it probably means you would want the new one and you would have regrets

so if i were in your shoes, i'd return it and take a gamble. no need to lie or anything. just take the hit on the restocking fee and hopefully... notice i said 'hopefully,' that the 'aggressive' price cut will make up for it. if it doesnt, at least you'll have the latest and greatest and it'll be worth it

i know it'll be worth it for you cause you're worrying about it right now which means you do care

but like everyone else said, you should've waited :(
    anyways, i would take the hit so that there would be no regrets

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nice!:rolleyes: Why don't you just say, that you screwed up and you want Best Buy to pay for it? Must be nice to have no morals or ethics.

Agreed.

14. Fred87nc thread starter macrumors member

If I would of gotten a 100 dollar student discount + 300 ipod + 100 dollar printer, I would keep the macbook since $600 dollars is a steal. I bought the Computer almost a month ago, and No, I didn't know anything about the new Macbooks since I Didn't have a computer. 14 days Ago I redeem a coupon for the iMobile Me and iWork. Which made them give me a new Recipe since it had to be processed again.

The only helpful advice about the restocking fee Is the guy saying I could ask for a gift card and they may waive the restocking fee. Don't get your panties up in a bunch, Best Buy has screwed over plenty of it's costumers for you to stand behind it, myself included.

Whatever the outcome of the New Macbook on 10/14. The price of my computer will go down and I would be able to buy it back at a cheaper price if worse comes to worse.

15. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

lol math

16. Fred87nc thread starter macrumors member

?? Student Discounted Macbook 2.1ghz = $1000 - $300 - $100 = $600

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Nice try justifying your con and then you get mad those who call you out on it. Some people are ------. You can read my mind.

18. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

From best buy:

Restocking fee

A restocking fee of 15% will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems unless defective or prohibited by law.

Promotional items
    Any product that is returned without a promotional item(s) included with the original transaction (e.g. buy TV, get free DVD player; buy TV, get free gift card; or buy TV, get DVD player half off) will have the value of the promotional item deducted from the refund amount.

Unless you can show that it's defective, it looks like you'll have to return the mobileMe and iWork and suck up the 15% restocking fee. Keep in mind that the "shiny new ipod and printer" deal that you're referring to will have ended by the time the new MB's come out. You'll qualify for a student discount if you have a valid ID, but thats it.

As for tricking them into believing its defective, you would have to break the machine and then make it look like you didn't really break it. On top of that, they would have to supply you with another machine, and you would have to leave it unopened to return it in another 14 days. When you go to return it, they will see that you already have had an open exchange, and someone might question it. Best buy has the ability to deny your refund, if they want, based on the fact that you have already exchanged an open product once.

And as for what you should do... try doing the right thing. Either pay the restocking fee for having opened and used the computer, or be happy with what you have. You're right, $1174 IS a lot of money. Perhaps you should have been less impulsive, or be happy with how you've spent your money, or not try and find ways to con others into paying for your regret.

19. Fred87nc thread starter macrumors member

Alright, well My plan is to drop the $180 dollar restocking fee. I wanted input of anyone with experience with restocking fee. I was referring to the college promotion as to I would of kept the Macbook If I would of gotten a good deal. But since I didn't I find my self better taking the 180 dollar loss. I read somewhere on this forums that If you have opened software you can't return it. That person claimed that they dismissed the software and didn't charge him for it.This I would like to know.

Also I have 50 cycles on my battery, how is this possible in such a short period of time? I read somewhere on the forums that I could have a faulty battery.

20. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

The only thing faulty is your sense of entitlement and lack of conscience. There's nobody to blame except yourself. And I think you'll be hit not only with the restocking fee but an additional $180 for returning MobileMe and iWork. Give up. Keep what you have and be happy.

21. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

He will be one of the ones who will comeback and claim (lie) they didn't charge him anything for returning it.

22. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Just keep the thing. The "aggressive price point" is being taken the wrong way. It's seriously like people are expecting a $500 MacBook, and once Apple goes for iBook pricing (100 drop which students get regardless), we'll see a lot of angry people mad at Apple for making up lies, when they never even said that...

23. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Wow, what a waste of time. Do you guys honestly think the new MacBook is going to be that much better than the current one?

If you're lucky it will see a new enclosure. That new enclosure isn't going to have new features and if it does come then it will follow Apple's downward design trend into these disgusting black and silvers. Horrid.

The tech on the inside will be marginally better. The only component which will see a major upgrade is the GPU, but if you're buying a MacBook you probably don't have a use for that anyway.

Keep what you have.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If you knew a new MacBook might be coming, why did you buy it in the first place?

25. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Keep it. The new laptops might look better, but they all run the same OS anyway.