Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
WWDC Keynote 2010:

- iPad, iPhone Updates
- Brief update on the Mac. Announcement of OSX roadmap and 10.7 name.
- iPhone OS: renamed for the future (iOS)
- iOS 4.0 final feature set. GM Available today, public release next week.
- Phone 4
- iChat for iOS

One more thing...
- iOS apps now available on the Mac
- Magic Trackpad introduced to allow desktop Macs to have touch control

Possibly today, but likely at a September event
- Free Me.com + iTunes.com cloud
- AppleTV 4.0 and new hardware (relevant to developers because apps can be pushed to tv)

Some other potential announcements:
- Facebook built in integration. Might explain no FB app updates in a long while, despite FB being one of the most used apps on the iPhone.
- iMovie for iPad
- iPad Widgets

Steve has to be bold because the biggest announcements have already been extensively leaked: new iPhone feature set and 2 way video iChat. This is Apple's chance to re-establish iPhone as the cutting edge standard as Android begins to gain ground and forcing iPhone to keep up with features.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
- iLife for the iPad, also moving away from the annual naming.

- A short sentence as a reference for the iPhone prototype incident. Mildly amusing ("Here it is and boy, we had some adventures with this one!")

- Self-celebration about the 2 million iPads sold, maybe a short video about apps and people enjoying their iPads. Usual Apple marketing stuff with a few scenes showing productivity tools or education/science environment.

- I also expect black turtlenecks and slightly worn white trainers with blue jeans.

Geez, Apple become so predictable! Even if some of these won't happen - you get the idea that Apple sticks so much to a limited course of action that it's not difficult to make reasonable predictions.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
There will be a big emphasis on iAd -- This is a developers conference after all and Apple wants to really push iAd. This will of course eat up a lot of time along with App demos which will piss off many Apple geeks who are expecting a ton of new announcements packed into a 1 hour keynote.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
-I think video chatting will be available over 3G since the Evo allows it
-AT&T will force us users to switch to the 2GB cap plan

i dunno, nothing bold like yours, just minor things i think

I feel that they are going to offer video chat over 3G ONLY on the new, capped plans (it'll be a plan feature code that AT&T will have automatically attached to the capped plans only, like how Visual Voicemail is attached to the iPhone data plan), and this is how they plan on pushing the people on the current unlimited iPhone plan to the new capped plans. You'll basically have a choice of keeping your old unlimited plan, but no "official" tethering or video chat, or get tethering and video chat but have a capped plan. I also think that the video chat data may be excluded from the capped amount (meaning that video chat is unlimited, and all other data counts under the cap). They have to have some trick up their sleeve to get the "data hogs" to consider switching to the new plans.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I also think that the video chat data may be excluded from the capped amount (meaning that video chat is unlimited, and all other data counts under the cap). They have to have some trick up their sleeve to get the "data hogs" to consider switching to the new plans.

If video chat data is not included in my monthly data allowance, I'll definitely be switching to the $15 plan. If it is, then I'll be keeping my unlimited plan and jailbreak to unrestrict it.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
If video chat data is not included in my monthly data allowance, I'll definitely be switching to the $15 plan. If it is, then I'll be keeping my unlimited plan and jailbreak to unrestrict it.

But what if they (AT&T) have the video chat feature code attached to the new data plans ONLY? This would be easy enough to do by having the video chat data go through a different APN, and your account has to be provisioned accordingly to have access on that APN. Similar to how MMS works (it wouldn't work on iPhones properly until AT&T started provisioning those accounts for it). I just feel that they HAVE to have some way of "strongly encouraging" the data hogs to jump to the capped plans, else why offer them? The people using the most data will just stay with the unlimited plans, and AT&T has solved none of their current problems.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I expect:

A few new unannounced OS4 features, but very, very few and incredibly minor stuff.
An iChat app - but over 3G it'll be handled via the phone app, and will be chargable by the minute. But there'll be some way of integrating it into instant messaging so I can videocall IM services. It'll all just work nicely over wifi.
Some more 3rd party dock accessories - think about it, we've seen absolutely sod all of these in a year after the OS3 annoucement. Maybe they're getting saved up for a keynote.Maybe they interact with the seams.
Lots of AT&T specific stuff that is of no relevance to most of the audience being outside the US.
Bing as a search option and possibly even the default, but Google remains on the device.
Facebook integration into contacts.

I (plausiblyish) hope for:

512MB of RAM as rumoured instead of 256 as into the proto.
A documents folder - not full file system access, but just a few folders (such as the camera folder) that are accessable and writable by all apps (iWork on the iPad shows what a total disaster file management is on iPhone OS at the moment. It's absolutely friggin useless). And ideally mount when attached via USB. You don't need to give me access to the iPod music folder to make this useful.
Some revised applications (say, changes to the iPod app so coverflow can be turned off, my podcast subscription list is copied to the device so I can update them all with one click without having to sync and EQ controls moved into the app they're for, or a YouTube app that lets me look at channels or search by upload date)
Wireless syncing.
Orientation lock to work for landscape too.

I less plusibly hope for:

Desktop widgets or somesuch.
A new notification engine that doesn't suck (might be integrated into the above)
Pretty much every pre-installed app to get significant usability improvements along the lines of those suggested above.
Some kind of OS panel that allows quick toggles of the radios (e.g. wi-fi on/off) accessable from the thing that is most definitely not a task manager. No seerie.
Additional quasi-multitasking APIs such as a task scheduler to start an app to download files like updating a newspaper at the same time in the morning witout my intervention

We won't see despite the fact they'd be very, very welcome:

The Bluetooth stack finally getting properly fixed and enabling things like file transfer for business cards.
Flash.
3rd Party application signers without Jobs' Taliban-esque attitude to sexual freedoms.
Google Maps to catch up with the Android version.

Phazer

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
soup-nazi-jobs-no-flash.jpg

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Of course a new iPhone would mean new iPod Touch. One with camera, with the basic 8GB and the older processor abolished. One with much-needed radio with all the new digital goodies. One with the same resolution as the current 3GS.

But why would Apple launch an iPhone on an event that they are not responsible for?

ideelist

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
video calling to 3GS phones via OS 4 upgrade

Hi. I just created a larger thread with thoughts on video calling (I hope it is approved), but my larger expectation with the video calling is that 3GS phones will be able to receive transmitted video calls from iPhone HDs.

We'll see.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
Sounds like you're looking for an Evo, not an iPhone. So really you're just trolling (and a happy Evo owner).

Actually I plan to get the new iPhone

I have been test driving the EVO, but the speed and OS have not met my satisfaction.

However, I was hoping for at least a bigger screen on the iPhone 4.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
We already knew what the new iPhone would be, why would you expect a bigger screen?

Because the specs of the prototype were not set in stone.

I was open to surprises, and a bigger screen makes sense to me.

The industry is now trending toward a bigger screen.

It's going to be hard for me to leave the screen of the EVO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.