Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your top 3 iPhone Generations?

• Total voters

dwreck

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
iPhone 1g, 4 and the X IMO, everything else felt like incremental updates.
This was my list off the top of my head but the 6 introduced the two form factor bifurcated product line. It also was the first iPhone with Apple Pay.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
I voted for 4s, 6 and XR because those are the three iPhones I’ve owned 😄 (you asked to vote only for those we have owned).

But to tell you the truth, I’ve always wanted to own 5 (or 5s) and X (or Xs) because it’s form factor. 5 was so sleek and X too. I still think for the form factor we’ve had from X the 5,8 is good size. Sorry but current regular 6,1 is just too big. I don’t understand why they couldn’t make 5,8 and then bigger Max size for those who want big screen.

My dream form factor would be iPhone 5 body with full screen (with notch or pill ok). Yes that would be tall aspect ratio.

Reactions: klasma

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Still using my X and it performs like a champ...except battery depletes faster now.

The materials used and the glass-back all make for one classy package.
I've been using it careless and it is stunning.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Still using my X and it performs like a champ...except battery depletes faster now.

The materials used and the glass-back all make for one classy package.
I've been using it careless and it is stunning.

If you’re in the US, $89 and Apple will swap the battery out for a new one.

ozapple

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2022
4S was my first and I thought it was amazing. X was stunning as well.

I’ll throw in an honourable mention for the 6 as well, only because it was the first generation to offer the ‘plus’ size to compete with the ever growing large sized competition at the time.

Reactions: Zayway86

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Based on iPhone releases:
iPhone 4
iPhone 5
iPhone X

iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max and iPhone 14 Pro/Pro Max as runner up

Personal choices:
iPhone SE 2016
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 11 Pro Max

I've never owned an iPhone X and iPhone 13 Pro Max

Last edited:

lukeholl

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2007
UK
The first iPhone was obviously great, but for me the 3GS is when things started to get good. I loved the plastic back and it improved on the already good 3G, especially in white!

The 4 was then a great follow up, I had it in black initially but then swapped for white when it was out (not so bad to do when they didn’t cost £1000 😂)

Fell off the iPhone bandwagon around the 6/7 as I was a big fan of the Lumia, but then the Windows Phone ecosystem started to fall apart and there were no apps to use. The X was then a game changer that’s evolved to where we are now!

Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
For me, it's iPhone 5s, SE1, and 12 mini - can you tell I'm in love with this form factor? :)
Haha, I voted for exactly those same three, before even reading your post.

While I upgraded to the 13 mini and it is objectively better (and I wouldn't go back to the 12 mini), the 12 mini was a bit lighter and thinner and thus the 13 mini gave me less of a wow. SE1 is still king in terms of its power within the small lightweight package, it's stylish design and nice-feeling aluminum finish (I'm not a fan of glass backs). It doesn’t look like there will ever be a new iPhone that will recapture the SE1's delight.

Reactions: ergoego22

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
anyone else remember when people used to complain about faceID?
I still like that I can unlock and do 2FA with my iPad mini without having to look at it in the right way. Both Touch ID and Face ID have their pros and cons. Not sure which one I would go with if one had to choose. Having both on the same device would really be nice.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I still like that I can unlock and do 2FA with my iPad mini without having to look at it in the right way. Both Touch ID and Face ID have their pros and cons. Not sure which one I would go with if one had to choose. Having both on the same device would really be nice.
Honestly I always felt like Touch ID was faster. But now with the 15 Pro (I skipped the 14), maybe in part due to the always-on screen, Face ID is finally perfectly fast. That extra touch to wake the screen always felt slightly too long. (I never enabled raise to wake due to false wakes)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Truly 'wow' was the 4 - the new design and retina display was just such a step change. The X was also a big change, but it didn't have the same impact as I guess a lot of the stuff was already used in other phones. Maybe if the X had launched in 2016 instead of the 7 it might have been on the same level, but I guess they wanted to save the big stuff for the 10th anniversary.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
3GS — The first properly good iPhone.
5S — The first iteration of TouchID, which was a game changer for everyday usability. Also just such a pleasant phone to use and a perfect size for its time.
11 — When Apple really stepped up the battery life (in the Pros) and started taking camera stuff more seriously. Also, that green colour from the 11 Pros is still the best colour they're ever released.

As you might be able to tell, I'm more impressed by usability improvements than design changes.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
For me it’s the original iPhone (I still love watching that announcement, too).
Then the XR because that’s the one that made me switch to iPhone from Android.
And then it’s between the 13, 14 and 15 pro models because of the macro photo mode. I picked 15 because for the first time I’m considering buying an iPhone pro.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
My first iphone (the 3g) was pretty exciting, then 4 really wow'ed me with the retina display. I really liked the 6s after that.

The rest have been fine, but haven't been excited about any phones since the 6s.

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
iPhone (Original) - Started a whole new mobile revolution
iPhone 5S - Perfected the small design with touch ID
iPhone X - Face ID, finally moved away from those huge bezels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.