Late 08 Macbook Pro screen flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smokedog, Nov 8, 2008.

1. smokedog macrumors regular

Anyone having this problem? The flicker effect I get is similar to when you set your monitor to the wrong resolution. Only noticeable when using the 9400 graphics card and screen brightness set to 4 or below.

edit: this seem occur mostly when using battery power.

2. jasonrm macrumors member

jasonrm

At least for the number of folks like myself, the screen flickers both on battery and power. Only when I run the 9600M GT do I not have the screen issues.

There are a few threads here, as well as a few over on the official apple forums, if you want to make sure the issue you are having is the same as most other folks.

[edit: not just the brightness right? like part of the screen goes black or something to that effect?]

3. smokedog thread starter macrumors regular

My problem is not with the image displayed but the backlight, which is producing a pulsing effect on low brightness.

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

My current one does not do that. Another one I tried flicked horribly at below 1/2 brightness so I had it exchanged.

5. Regaj macrumors member

Under Settings/Display, uncheck "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes"

6. jgo78 macrumors 6502

I have the same problem with either the 9400 or 9600. I only notice it below half brightness on the lower levels. Usually goes away after a while however. This is with or without battery.

Other than that my mac is perfect. Don't want to replace it in fear I encounter something worse.

7. smokedog thread starter macrumors regular

This makes no difference.

From further use I can confirm the flicker is present in both GFX cards and regardless of power source. In fact its flickering now as I type this

I plan on exchanging it this weekend, but my Macbook pro is perfect apart from this problem :(

8. jgo78 macrumors 6502

does the flicker go away after several minutes? or is it constant. Let me know how your new one is.

9. jgo78 macrumors 6502

also, what level of brightness are you set at?

10. smokedog thread starter macrumors regular

I have my brightness on 2 bar, thats one up from off. When its on 5 bars, the display is fine you don't notice any flicker.

11. jgo78 macrumors 6502

please let me know how your new one is, i have the same issue so im curious, thanks.

12. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

You are not alone ;)

I don't find it annoying enough to replace the MBP. If it becomes worse maybe I'll ask Apple.

13. jgo78 macrumors 6502

me too, irritating though.

14. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yep

15. jgo78 macrumors 6502

guess, ill keep my brightness at least halfway then i don't notice it.

Also, my flicker seems to go away after several minutes from cold then i can go back to below half without flicker, seems it needs time to 'warm' up or something.

16. delude macrumors 6502

I have exactly the same. Perfect apart from the flickering when the brightness is below around half way.

17. vmac1 macrumors newbie

I have the same flickering problem - just got my 2.54GHz MBP. It flickered from the first boot-up. I could change the intensity of the 'flickering', though, if I picked up the corner of the MBP and lightly 'bounced' the computer off the table. It would temporarily fix the problem, but you could watch the display creep back to a constant flicker over time.

18. hari-bhari macrumors regular

you guys are not referring to undulations in the backlight level, correct? when i am sitting at my desk, my room's light is directly behind me such that my head casts a shadow on the ambient light sensor (right next to the isight camera). however if i move slightly, the sensor picks up the extra light behind me and cranks up the brightness. try switching off the auto brightness and see if this helps?

19. vmac1 macrumors newbie

I'm talking about the display, not the backlight. The display flickers on and off (at a speed of 3-4 flickers per second). During the flickering the color of the display is very pale and 'washed out'.

20. smokedog thread starter macrumors regular

Well I now have my replacement and its flicker free :)

But the screen has a yellow tint compared to my old one :(

21. smokedog thread starter macrumors regular

My 3rd replacement MBP is being prepared. The replacement was a 00009C85 screen and its got quite bad light bleeding on the left and right side of the screen.

Flickering problems seem to be quite common with 00009C84 screens.

Let's see what happens with the 3rd, if I don't get lucky its a refund :(

22. jgo78 macrumors 6502

keep us posted

23. jgo78 macrumors 6502

it's not that because i have my auto bright off.

it's just a mild flicker/pulsing at low brightness levels, only lasts 10 minutes from being cold though.

24. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

What do we have to do to get a nice, decent viewing screen? I mean it's not like this is a $400 laptop.