Late 2005 PowerBook G4 will not charge battery, help?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dustinschings, Jan 5, 2017.

1. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Bit of a long story here, but I want to include all the details.

I went to pick up my iMac (signature) a couple weeks ago, and they also have this PowerBook (DLHR) for sale for "parts/repair". It was in good shape so I took it for $20. Came with a charger too!

I got it home and opened it up and noticed that the flex cable that connects the left side DC-in/IO board to the Logic board was disconnected partially! I pressed the connected back on really well and reassembled the machine. It boots up and I was able to get Leopard installed just fine.

I discovered the battery was an OEM Apple one, probably since it was a brand new laptop, and it would not charge/hold any charge. I quickly jumped on eBay and got a 3rd part battery from a known seller that I have had good experience with in the past.

3 days later and my battery arrives. I put it in the machine and go to bed as it was late. Sadly, the next morning, the laptop shows 0% charge. The battery came at 0%, which is odd. I opened System Profiler and it shows battery is installed, Not Charging. 2 cycles, 4200mAh, but 0% charge. I put in the original battery again to have a look and it shows 276 cycles. I open coconutBattery and it shows the same, with about 60% of original capacity left, but 0% charge.

I have reset the PMU, PRAM, and NVRAM to no avail. Also tried a different charger too.

This leads me to believe that the OEM battery, while pretty worn out, is likely still usable, but the laptop is simply not charging any batteries. So the new battery did me no good of course. I have requested a replacement from the seller in the off chance that this one was just DOA, but I have not heard back since the request yesterday. That said, I am not hopeful that it will work since I have two batteries here that seems to be fine, but can't charge.

Anything I can do to try and fix it without spending any (or very little) money? If not, anyone want to buy a pretty decent last gen PowerBook G4 that does not charge the battery? 1.67GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 40GB (non Apple HDD) and 15 inch HiRes display.

Thanks in advance!!

Dustin

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

It could be the DC-IN board, the one on my DLSD had a bad audio jack, which caused the speakers not to work. I would check eBay for a new part.

If you do order the DC-IN board and it does not work, the next logical thing to check is the battery cable.

3. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

You mean this guy (link below) that connects the IO/DC-in board to the logic board?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Power...926280?hash=item5423814148:g:DpIAAOxyBPZTfmkd

This ad has the board and cables.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Apple-P...639930?hash=item5d6a9d1cba:g:sVcAAOSwg3FUotj1

I may get that. However, I am in a tough spot atm with cash, so I may have to toss this guy in a closet for now. Hate to get rid of it over a part that is about $35, or a cable that is $6. In fact, this is what I will do. In the closet it goes until I can get the two parts ordered. This is too good of a machine to let go, even if I never get the battery working (although it loses a lot of it's appeal if no longer mobile.)

Thanks!

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

The price went up... That sucks.... I got mine for $9! I do still have the DC-IN board with the broken audio jack, maybe we could work something out

5. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

I appreciate it, but then my audio jack would be bad? Someone could replace the jack with one from my board, but not me. Soldering points too small for my eyes and most importantly, equipment.

6. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah, the 3.5mm Jack is totally broken, I basically had to rip the jack apart to access these stupid contact points that were touching. I finally got the audio working on the speakers, but there is no way in hell that the jack will work again :D

7. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Thanks! I will keep it in mind! Is the board still in your machine, or just sitting? if just sitting, perhaps we could work out a good deal so I can at least know if this will fix my problem or not. If it does, I can always buy the part later with a working Audo jack.

8. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah, the thing is just sitting in my parts drawer. I ordered a new one for the laptop, the reason being that I thought the audio was completely dead, but a cable was unplugged :D

9. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

PM me info. Perhaps we can work something out.

10. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My experience with DC-In boards (I've replaced four of them) is that when they are bad the computer runs off battery. If the battery is dead then you have a non-functional laptop.

I would suspect the battery, or possibly the connector. Before my 17" DLSD met it's fate I had the problem where the Mac saw the battery but put an 'X' through it and would not charge it. I knew the DC-In board was good (the Mac was drawing power). I also knew that some of the batteries I swapped in were fine.

I was going to try replacing the battery connector (the part where the battery plugs in) to see if it was that part but I just never got to it.

Someone may disagree with my assessment but I figure that if the Mac is able to run and boot without an issue the DC-In board is okay.

12. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

It runs and boots with or without the battery. It does not power on with only battery or draw from it. Nor will it charge the battery. That said, I have tried two batteries and they both do the same thing. Also tried different chargers.

Anything else I can try or check? I am not afraid to open this thing up again.

13. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

Is that the same part on all Aluminum 15" model PBG4s?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    And is there wa way to use wire leads to give the battery a direct connection to the board for testing before replacing? If so, do you happen to know of a schematic for it so I know which ones to do?

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No idea. It probably is, but then again there are subtle differences with the high res models so you never know.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    $6.75 on the Bay. You have the A1138 right?

MODS!!! NOT MY AUCTION!

15. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Cool! I will have to keep them in mind. $1.00 beats the price of the Bay. :D

17. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

It sure does! I almost ordered it for $6.99 shipped from eBay but saw this one. they said 30 in stock, so it should come in within a few days. If this don't work, not sure if I should bother with the IO board or not. It is another $35 and if that fails to correct it, I will be $40 plus what I paid for a new battery in the hole on this laptop lol.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hope it works. Additionally, if it does, it would verify my diagnosis of my own 17" PB which would be nice to have an answer for.

19. dustinschings thread starter macrumors 6502

dustinschings

I will be sure to report back here then if it does work!

20. topbanana_ macrumors member

I had exactly the same thing on mine, after fiddling with the jack port speakers worked again (audio port thought headphones were plugged in the whole time) but the audio port never worked which didn't bother me as never used it anyway.

21. Wiltonian macrumors member

Wiltonian

Hi! Don't want to hi-jack someone else's thread, but as the issue is very closely related, I thought I'd raise my issue hear, where PB battery experts are already gathering! ;-)

Bought a very nice 12"PB off the bay. Used it quite a bit, usually on A/C. Battery was 100%, then suddenly showed 0%, and refused to charge. However, pressing the lights on the (aftermarket) battery suggests a decent charge - say 40%. But even Coconut battery says 0% charge, and not charging, though it gives the capacity as 4200ma vs 4400ms originally. Works fine on A/C, but not for a second on battery. I'm suspecting the battery connector? Does that make sense?
    Thanks, Stuart

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It might also be the battery circuitry inside the battery. Once that fails it doesn't really matter how good the battery is.

If you can, I'd test with another known good battery. If you plug a good battery in and the Mac charges it then you know that the problem lies with your original battery.

PS. I have a friend who lives in Nottingham. :)

23. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

I've had same problems with an after market high capacity Powerbook 17" battery. What worked for me was removing the battery and holding down the power button for 10 seconds without the A/C adaptor plugged in and then resetting the PRAM.

24. Wiltonian macrumors member

Wiltonian

Thanks. Have a new OEM battery coming to me, which should narrow things down a bit.

Stuart