Late 2007 MB fan constantly high

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gngan, Apr 14, 2011.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

My late 2007 MB fan is constantly high (6200rpm). I am just running msn, Chrome (2 tabs), remote desktop. Is that normal? Or maybe it's the dust in side? I tried to open my MB following ifixit but failed.

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Have you had a look in activity monitor to make sure there are no rogue processes? Make sure Show All Processes is selected from the drop down.

[​IMG]

3. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Whats rogue processes? I usually have 200-500 free MB.

4. Souljas macrumors regular

I had a similar problem on my macbook. When watching youtube or doing anything remotely cpu intensive the fan revved up. I opened it up about 6 months ago to get rid of some surface dust but no improvement, so I thought it might be the thermal paste on the cpu. A few days ago I pulled it apart again and the heatsink was clogged with dust. Put some arctic silver 5 thermal paste on and now the fan has yet to rev like it used to.

- but check out what others have been saying first and leave the opening as a last resort (although it only took me about 35mins total).

5. chrisperro, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

try and download smcfancontrol and adjust fan speed.
    but is problably dust in the fan.
    they easy to open but make sure you keep track of the screws and location cause they all different.
    here is a good guide to replace the fan but you only cleaning it.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Fan/522/1

6. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

If theres no activity showing up as unusually high in the "% CPU" tab in activity monitor, then it could very well be dust. I had a similar problem, opened up my macbook, and found the air vents underneath the fan were clogged with dust (after 3 yrs of use im not surprised!).

But as someone said above, leave that as a last resort as it isnt the easiest thing in the world to do - lots of tiny fiddly screws!

7. vincenz, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

8. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

A rogue process is a process that is crashed or stuck in a loop. This can cause heavy CPU usage, in turn making your fans rev high.

Bu usually in cases like this it's dust casuing high temperatures and fan speeds. If you do manage to get into your MacBook you should also regrease your CPU with a quality compound like AS5.

9. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

I actually followed fixit tutorial. i was stuck at removing the keyboard cover. I was afraid to pull it out with force. I believe i removed all the screws.

10. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

start at the top of the keyboard and make your way down,if that does not work you have more screws on,try and do the steps again.

11. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Assuming you removed all the screws properly - its actually harder than it looks - as long as you dont break the ribbon attaching the keyboard to the logic board, it 'should' sort of snap off with a tiny bit of force - use a flat item to help wedge it out of the sides - i was scared of breaking it too - but thankfully it went ok!

12. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

There is more play in the top left corner near the power adapter start there and work round. I've found that the only area you need to add a little force is the front left but with a little play it will come up.

But as was said by anotherarunan be careful with the ribbon that connects the top casing to the logic board.

13. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

So i did a little surgery on my MB. I manage to pull the keyboard cover out. I used hair dryer to blow out some surface dust. I wouldn't consider a lot of dust in there after 3 and a half years of primary computer. I put it back together and open a youtube page and the fan is on immediately (6xxxrpm). I guess it didn't work.

14. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Did you also clean and re-grease the CPU with some thermal compound?

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Youtube = Flash = CPU working hard = fan running. That would be normal. Did you actually ever follow people's advice and open Activity Monitor and check what your CPUs are doing - while Youtube is running? You realize that your fans are supposed to be running when your computer is working hard?

16. gngan, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Yes, i have Activity monitor open to check. i only have MSN and 2 tabs (FB + youtube) open; is this consider CPU working hard? Here's a picture. The fan went up to 5xxx rpm with this and it comes down to 4xxxrpm without opening any other app or tabs. The tabs are FB, MR x 2, ifixit. Which number should I be looking at for CPU usage?

I don't have necessary tools to grease the CPU or thermal compound.

Attached Files: