Late 2008 MBP Top row not working correctly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greatfolder, Sep 7, 2012.

1. greatfolder macrumors newbie

OK i bought this thing used yesterday. Yes i know used things never work correctly. besides that my only issue so far is that the volume, play, brightness do not work. I have done the PRAM reset and tried using the applejack app. I have also taken the battery out for 30 seconds as one posting said to do. I tried to quit coreaudiod twice. yes the F1, F2 keys are unchecked.

I have gotten it to the point where i can press them and it does the little "dunk" sound like haha i dont want to work. Im sure its something fixable i just have not found a solution yet.

What am i missing?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version have you got on that Mac?
    To find out what Mac OS X version you run, click :apple: > About This Mac:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

The top bar is called "Menu Bar".

Have you got any reinstall media with that MBP? Grey Restore DVDs or a white Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD?
    If so, have you thought about reinstalling Mac OS X and purging the Mac from all the data the seller might have left behind (and **** ups the seller might have done to get to such software state)?

Anyway, that plop sound is indicating a volume change.
    Check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed and checked as Output Device.

[​IMG]

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Contact Apple, seems keyboard failure and seller didn't tell you.

4. greatfolder thread starter macrumors newbie

osx is 10.6.8, I do not have any disks for it so that isnt really an option.

Output is internal speakers

Output mic is also internal

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

10.6 is Snow Leo, don't worry about it. Like I said, contact Apple to have them verify the hardware issue. However, do contact the seller as you might have been mislead if you weren't told of this issue.

6. greatfolder thread starter macrumors newbie

ya i apple wont let me talk to anyone because my tech help has expired i guess. I know the seller mislead me now but nothing I can do about it at this point.

Im just looking for a solution.

Thanks for the fast response guys.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't call Apple, go to an Apple Store. They will support you enough to find the issue and give you an estimate. Its best to know the truth of your issue.