Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apollo33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
My CPU seems to run at 70~80C under normal operating conditions. Browsing Firefox, Mail open, iTunes running.

This just doesn't seem "right" to me, but I'm hoping someone else can give me a second opinion. I have AppleCare, so I guess I can always make an appointment and go to the Apple Store's Genius Bar to let them check it out.

Thanks!

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
on your lap or on a table?
do you live somewhere hot?
i personally wouldn't be too worried, just whack up the smc and enjoy the breeze

Apollo33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
It's on a table, so it's not really bothering me. I just worry about the CPU overheating.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's too warm imo.

My 2.53 unibody MBP runs around 45 - 55c under a normal load. I'd reset the SMC if you see that your fans are not ramping up. At 80c your fans HAVE to be running faster then 2k.

I'd also recommend that you get smcFanControl so you can manually adjust the fan speed to keep the temps down.

Apollo33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I reset the SMC and I'll see if that helps. I can increase the fans with the smcFanControl, but I'm thinking that if this isn't normal, I should see if I can get it repaired.

Apollo33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah. I thought about that. Flash and Firefox being a resource hog.

Since resetting my SMC... things seem to be running cooler, though. Hopefully it stays that way.

However, I stopped by an Apple Store and a tech said that his normally runs at around 200F.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway

Since resetting my SMC... things seem to be running cooler, though. Hopefully it stays that way.

However, I stopped by an Apple Store and a tech said that his normally runs at around 200F.

200F is not normal, atleast not on mine.
I can only reach those temperatures mid summer after 8 hrs of gaming or encoding video.. Normal use on mine is ~120F, gaming and heavy work ~180F

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009

I don't think my computer has ever hit 93C. That's RIDICULOUS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.