Late 2008 unibody macbook pro -> TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hackster, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Hackster macrumors member

Hackster

I have from being a diehard Windows user given mac chance by getting a (cheap) late 2008 15" macbook pro and have been very happy until I recently tried to connect it to the TV through a 3rd party hdmi adapter I bought on Amazon. I can't get it to work.
    The mbp screen flashes blue for a second, and then returns, nothing happens after this point. I've tried all settings and combinations and it does not work. I have read that I am not the only one with the problem with this particular model. It is a late 2008 15 "unibody macbook pro.

Is there one with the same setup that has found a working solution?
    My TV has HDMI and VGA and I've tried with 3 different tvs.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I use the Mini-Display to DVI adapter, then buy a DVI to HDMI cable. Of course, audio is seperate cable.

However, be aware that 2008 models with Mini-Display Port don't have audio output, which is why having HDMI all the way doesn't work well.

Theoretically, your TV should have a HDMI/DVI port with a corresponding Audio input port for that video port.

3. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

Will this work for sure?? i don't want to be buying adapters i can't use for nothing :(

Also can i buy a 3rd party from ebay??

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have a late 2008 Al MacBook, this is how I do it. Works flawlessly with a Samsung 32" LCD.

5. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

are your adapters 3rd party or orignal apple?? can i buy 3rd party from ebay maybe?

6. simsaladimbamba

While 3rd party adapters seem to work, there are also reports of many people buying those adapters via eBay not working as specified.

If you are in North America, maybe look at Monoprice's offerings.

from

7. sampers macrumors member

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Mini-Display to DVI is Apple branded. The DVI to HDMI cable is a regular ole Dynex cable at Best Buy. Any regular cable should work.