Late 2011 Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BossOfGames, Jul 20, 2015.

1. BossOfGames macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

Instead of spending $$$$ on a new MacBook Pro 15", I have my trusty 2011 still working perfectly fine. I am planning on upgrading the ram to 8gb and the OWC Data Doubler. I have a question about the screen though.

I know for a limited time (before the retina era) Apple released a High Resolution MacBook Pro (in my model year). Long story short, can I upgrade my screen on my current MacBook to the higher resolution screen?

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Generally yes, but it can be expensive getting the right part as you are effectively replacing the entire screen module.

3. BossOfGames thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have any idea where I could get that part? I think it would be worth while over getting a new MacBook.

4. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Honestly, with the time it'll take and the risk of breaking something in the process (the screen is very delicate), I'd sell yours off and buy one with the screen you want instead.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep agree with snaky there, you can probably get one already upgraded with SSD and more RAM as well as the screen you want for only $100-200 dollars more.

7. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

I have done it.

Not that difficult - display was had on eBay for $89.
    I cracked the glass....twice :eek:, but it is really not that hard (ie. I rushed) and the glass is cheap.

As others have said, if you were choosing a new machine you wouldn't plan on doing this upgrade but it is certainly possible and not that expensive IMO if you think you can get another 18 months etc. out of your machine. I was a huge fan on the increase in screen real estate.

Here is a good vid:

Here is my thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-mbp-15-screen-to-the-hi-res-version.1890903/