Late-2011 with Radeon HD6770M corrupt graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kohsamui100, Jul 21, 2017.

1. kohsamui100 macrumors newbie

My late-2011 MBP has its view getting crazy from time to time. It is the model which is equipped with AMD Radeon HD6770M. Was working without issues for years, also when connecting a second display. I'm also running it's fan on a higher than normal speed to keep it from over-heating, but I only got it for less than 6 months (bought it second hand).

The bad graphics first showed up when rebooting, then I kind of "solved" it by long pressing the power button and loading Sierra in safe mode. Then it went bad again when I connected a second display...

I noticed that if it is set to the Intel GPU, there's no issue, but when I change it to the AMD (using gfxCardStatus), it becomes corrupt again...

Is there any cure to this that I can do myself (I'm an electrician and knows soldering etc.)

Thanks !

20170717_233526.jpg Untitled.png 20170718_000056.jpg

2. caramelpolice, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

caramelpolice macrumors regular

This is an extremely common issue with 2011 models, sadly. Apple ran an extended repair program for them for a while but no longer does. There are some temporary fixes out there, but long term you’d need a full logic board replacement which might not be worth it for a machine that age.

A lot of people who don’t need the dGPU just force the Intel GPU at all times.

3. kohsamui100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

So when forcing the Intel GPU, will apps which normally forces the AMD GPU, still load ?

Is there a hardware-level fix that can be done without replacing the entire motherboard ?

4. Ries macrumors 68000

GPU reball/reflow would fix the issue most likely. But it is not without risk. i.e. random google result:
    http://stores.ebay.com/WPBComputerTECH?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

or you can do this and hope for the best:
    Force 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 with failed AMD GPU to ALWAYS use Intel integrated GPU (EFI variable fix)

5. DarkSel macrumors regular

A reball is not a permanent fix. The GPU will fail again in less than a year.

The only real solution is to either disable the dGPU completely and use the Intel iGPU or sell the machine. The 2011 15" MBPs are a ticking time bomb.

6. Ries macrumors 68000

I've backed my 17" in the oven. It's been running for several years since. Millage may vary, but what-ever the heating "fixes", you can certainly end up getting two or three more years out out it, or it can fail after a month.

7. DarkSel macrumors regular

The 2011 17" MBPs have better thermals than the 15", so I'm not surprised that it's still functioning.