Late 2013 Imac 2.9 is so slow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SLO-Jure, Dec 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SLO-Jure macrumors newbie

Hi guys.
    I have late 2013 iMac, i5, 750M graphic, 8GB ram, standard 5400 RPM HD.

Imac is running slow, opening programs takes ages, Excel 10 sec, Ps 30sec, I get spinning cursor even in basic office programs. I am not a heavy user.

What is causing this, I reinstalled system and It is the same story. I think specs are decent for my use or are Ps and Lr programs to much for my iMac? Is the problem slow HD?

Thank you for your help,
    Jure

2. bigagassi macrumors newbie

Microsoft Office for Mac is super slow on Mac with HDD. I believe Microsoft did that for purpose.

3. cycledance Suspended

use a thunderbolt or usb3 enclosure with ssd.
    do a full format on ur internal hdd. takes hours possibly.

4. SLO-Jure thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I watch for something?

Would carbon copy program and Samsung 250gb usb3 SSD do the job as a external boot drive?

Thank you.

5. cycledance Suspended

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I witnessed the same thing at the Apple store when I was looking at which iMac to buy. I'm not sure I have any suggestions, its not like the iMac is very upgradeable.

7. torquer macrumors regular

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...grade-imac-hard-drive-aluminum-2012-2013.html

SSDs are cheap. That should make an enormous difference if you're brave enough to do the upgrade yourself. Otherwise you can probably find an Apple repair shop that'll do it for you

8. SLO-Jure thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any performance difference if I use external SSD drive via usb vs opening iMac and replacing original HD?
    What external SSD do you recommend?

9. cycledance Suspended

don´t open the imac.

if u are rich get a 2tb ssd in a thunderbolt enclosure. if you are on a budget get a 256gb ssd in a usb 3 enclosure.