Late August, Early September rMBP purchasers: satisfied? Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mzjin, Sep 7, 2012.

1. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

I thought I'd give the rMBP another try this time as I'm preparing to move on after school and mobility is more important than ever.

Just curious about the latest buyers/exchanges:

1) Have you gotten a Samsung screen? Or an LG?

2) Is the screen flawless? Or still problematic?

3) Are you noticing massive issues with battery life?

4) Are you noticing significant lag in any scenario?

2. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters." Weird

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Another one of these?

Some users have a "flawless" screen, others have dead pixels. Simply purchase the computer and if there are obvious defects (not lack of panel preferences) then return it.

I don't understand what you will get out of this - not to be rude. If more people report that it's "flawless," are you going to be more willing to purchase it or what?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes very.

I got mine mid august with no issues. I actually had two rMBPs.

First one bought from the Apple Store, was a base rMBP with an LG screen. No issues at all, loved it. I returned it ONLY get get a BTO with 16GB Ram, when the new one arrived it came with a Samsung screen with no issues at all either.

5. toondw macrumors 6502

Bought a week ago, LG screen......flawless, love it!

6. mzjin thread starter macrumors 6502

mzjin

I think it's useful to gauge the differences a product's Q/A can have after a few months post release.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Fair enough, tons of threads identical to this though.

8. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Short answer: Yes

9. bill-p macrumors 65816

1) LG screen.

2) Flawless. No backlight bleed, no IR, natural and not overblown colors. Extremely good contrast. Black truly blends in with the bezel. No dead pixels.

3) Yeah. Unfortunately, it doesn't want to push through 10 hours. I've consistently had 7 - 8 hours reported. Not bad, but I had 10 with my late 15" MBP...

4) Yep. It comes and goes, but happens consistently when I have 5 desktops open: 2 each for Eclipse and Xcode respectively, 1 for Safari and reference materials (Preview), 1 for Photoshop, and 1 for file management. Mission Control literally pauses for a split second and then shows itself the next. Funny enough, this does not happen in Bootcamp on Windows 7, which leads me to believe Apple screwed up the graphics drivers on the rMBP somehow. Hopefully a new firmware update or software update will fix it. Scrolling under Safari is also on a "per-website" basis, with some clearly exhibiting render lag (like you can literally see Safari trying to re-render the website block by block). Most websites are fine, but some specific blogs and technical sites I frequent suffer from such problems, sadly.

10. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

I for one was looking for a thread exactly like this. I ordered my RMBP last weekend and was curious to see if these problems still existed. I will post back on monday with my findings :)

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't understand how creating the specific thread gives verification though. OP knows that some people have problems with the unit, others don't have problems. This specific thread is going to determine whether or not it is purchased?

It does not make sense to me.

12. wiznet macrumors regular

People come here to report problems with their machines, rather than brag about how they work as they are designed to.

You see lots of issue threads here because of that reason; don't be deceived.

Mine is perfect: buy one. You'll love it, and if there happens to be a problem, you can exchange it.

13. Desafinado macrumors newbie

This thread is giving me a lot more confidence. I ordered an rMBP on the 31st. I'll report my findings when it arrives.

14. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

If OP sees that a majority of people willing to post in the thread don't have issues, it'll would give him/her more confidence in purchasing the product.

Though your point does make sense. OP does need to realize that people who do have problems will cloud the forums, thus clouding his/her judgement. I believe the majority of people with RMBP don't have problems, we just don't know because they don't complain.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

And that's understandable, not trying to be rude or bash and what not - just that there is already the known possibility of something shipping with defects not only in the case of the rMBP but with all products. It's unlikely that a sort of "poll" created in this thread when the possibility is already established in the mind of the OP would instill such confidence. It's going to be a mixed result regardless of the specific numbers, not to mention it has been done.

My advice is to simply purchase the rMBP if that is what you want and if it has defects - of course that's awful but your return policy will be honored and you can have a new one shipped out. If that's truly the machine that you want anyway, I don't see why a thread reporting defects or no defects would possibly deter you from purchasing it.

16. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Maybe you can make some photos?

I do have a samsung panel and I don't like the black level it has... Black is not as I thought it would be - maybe I'm making too many demands on the screen?

17. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Samsung

It seems flawless.

No, initially seemed shorter but in the third week seems to have reached the advertised usage

Not at all

I did not have the WOW experience when I first viewed the rMBP screen, but after using it for a few days I grabbed my 13' Air and said "WOW" as I realized how much better the retina screen really is. Impressive!

18. buddyspencer macrumors regular

What about the black level? Is it ok for you?

19. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Honestly, I'm probably not as discerning as most, however I would say that the contrast is excellent but the black is not "as black" (does that make sense?) as my previous macs. Just compared with my 27" iMac and it has a deeper black level.

BUT, I am astounded daily by the beauty of this screen and can hardly another. I was going to keep my Air as a backup, but now I'm going to sell.

20. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Same for me - black level is not as good as I thought...

If I'm going on full brightness and look at a full black sample-picture it looks like a really dark blue in relation to the black bezel. Thought it would be more black... :(

21. bill-p macrumors 65816

Photos won't really show the black level... since it's black either way. I tried.

I must admit though, past 50% brightness, I can start to see some hint of a blue tint in black areas, but it's quite hard to see until max brightness. If I'm in good lighting, it's impossible to notice either way.

22. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

I thought I'd give the rMBP another try this time as I'm preparing to move on after school and mobility is more important than ever.

Just curious about the latest buyers/exchanges:

6 LG screens, 1 Samsung screen.

All 6 LG screens have noticeable IR upon opening of box. Samsung screen flawless.

None had battery life issues.

No lag issues.

23. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

ordered 9/1, arrived 9/7

1) Samsung

2) i havent noticed any problems

3) havent used it enough to test out the battery yet

4) still on 10.8 but haven't notice any lag (not gone to facebook yet)

24. chevman macrumors member

Pulled the trigger last night on a new rMBP for my wife (base model plus ram upgrade). Should hopefully get here late next week.

I have a couple friends in the supply chain that report at least 2 or 3 known production tweaks that have now occurred since the line was originally spun up earlier this spring.

25. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Just got mine at the Apple store on Wednesday evening.

LG Screen

No screen issues, looks magnificent.

Only preliminary battery testing but seems to be good.

Scrolling is choppier than I'd like, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

All in all I'm quite happy with my first Apple computer.