"Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gusapple, Mar 1, 2009.

1. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Well, tomorrow is the day that we finally get to see how Jimmy Fallon does on the job. I have been watching his webisodes, and can see one huge glare: He pauses and says "uhhhh" a lot. That is, unless, he's doing an impression. Let's hope that he can find his strong suits and fall right into place. I'm sure gonna miss Conan on Late Night though. Mostly for this. :D

Link:
    http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Looking forward to it..I really enjoyed conan, and find Jimmy pretty funny as well.
    Does conan start on the Tonight show tomorrow as well?

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Conan starts on the tonight show tomorrow. that's one reason Letterman has U2 on his show every night next week. CBS is really concerned about how Conan is going to take viewership away from Letterman.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm interested in Conan's show, but I'll probably still watch Letterman after it's all said and done.

Occasionally, I may even stay up late to watch the King of late night TV himself......Craig Ferguson. :D

5. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

No.. Conan will be taking over June 1.

Hopefully Jimmy can pull it off. He's much more well known than Conan was when he came into the job. His 'test shows' on the website seemed too rehearsed and he made it blatantly obvious that he read from the 'prompter.

Apparently Andy Richter's gonna be the announcer for The Tonight Show. I've never really liked him, but I'm excited that Conan's moving up to greater things.

6. eldy macrumors 6502

You can tell that he's really nervous by how fast he talks in his promos. I hope Joel Goddard can make it out to LA and do some guest segments. They should do a skit of Bagoda traveling across the country to find Conan in LA.

7. timerollson macrumors 65816

Jimmy Fallon sucks. He wasn't funny on SNL. His failed movies weren't funny. How he made the jump to late night TV host is beyond me.

Conan is hilarious but I'm not sure if mainstream will "get" him after Jay Leno.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think Fallon will fail. He is unpolished and not very funny.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Thanks for reading my brain.

10. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

No he doesn't start until June 2009

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Personally, I'm glad that Conan is gone. I can;t stand him. Unfortunately he's going to be back (ugh). At least NBC will give Jay another show, which is some form of consolation, I guess. Although, I think Jimmy Fallon may be even more annoying then Conan (is that even possible?).

Don

12. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

I'm definitely watching Late Night tonight. Hopefully Jimmy does well.

Really looking forward to Conan coming back in June; I was really excited to hear he'd be taking Max Weinberg & co. to LA with him.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Show looks good, geared towards a younger audience tho (which fits my demographic).

I always thought fallon was hilarious on Weekend Update, but they may be because it was Weekend Update, you have to fail miserably to mess that gem up.

14. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

It seems like a good portion of Conan fans hate Fallon. Their humor is noticeably different. I personally can't stand Fallon but will give him a shot. He gets by on being "cute." If he looked like Conan, he would never have been famous.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think Andy's problem with some people is that he is very "dry".

They make a good team, and should do well. NBC must be growing weary of the old Tonight Show demographic. They don't spend money on the sponsor's products.

And Max will have to hop around some, if he is to keep playing with The Boss on tour.

ON TOPIC: I too feel that Jimmy is highly over-rated. Sorry, but there it is.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I never liked Conan after Andy left. But didn't like Andy on his own either. They're funny together.

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

It literally baffles my mind that people don't find Conan hilarious. He's the funniest, driest bastard out there........next to Letterman. Both men are insanely funny to me.

I might actually have to get DVR now that they are going to be on at the same time.

In the same vein, I don't see how Jay Leno has ever gotten a laugh. He's a cool car guy, and I like him. But his show and humor are just weak, watered down drivel.

Jimmy Fallon? Should last about as long as the Chevy Chase show.

18. gusapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Personally, I hope that Fallon can find happiness, but I don't think it'll be in late night. He pretty much ruined the "Cowbell" skit with Christopher Walken, and I don't find his humor all that funny. He reminds me of Jeff Goldblum whenever he talks. Anyways, Conan's comedy helped define a generation of "Late Night" that I grew up on. Not all shows were good. (He himself would admit to it 3 times a monologue) But at least he had great skits to make up for it.
    I guess that all in all, Jimmy was a better choice than Carson Daily. Ugggghhhh...

19. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

I thought it sucked. Here's why:

1) Robert DeNiro didn't even look Fallon in the eye. He was a poor interviewee.
    2) Fallon's interviewing skills suck. He asked, maybe two questions to both DeNiro and Timberlake.
    3) Lick for a $10. That was stupid and senseless.

There were a few things I liked:

1) The Roots. They are good & versatile.
    2) I like the feel of the show. It's laid back, compared to Conan.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I find them both funny as well, but I like Letterman and Craig Ferguson the most. I like Letterman, but I never understood how he has survived on American television for so long.

21. tonster macrumors newbie

i think this best summarizes the show. personally i'm a big letterman and conan fan and don't find fallon all that funny, but the show was decent at best. imo, the best part of the show is definitely the roots as the house band.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The show just started, maybe it will improve but I don't think he has the ability or talent to replace Letterman or Conan doing Late Night.

And who does he have for writers? I don't think he has any.

23. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

It didn't really work for me. I'll watch tomorrow for Tina Fey, but it's not something I'm going to watch daily.

24. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I concur. Comedy bits have to have a purpose. It can't just be totally random.

25. spyderdsm macrumors member

fallen looks nervous and was sweating up a storm..
    conan was funny especially the skits with the masterbating bear and comic the insult dog