MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple last week launched Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio for Apple Music, it said that the new features would be "coming soon" to Android. Now, the company has released a new Apple Music beta for the rival mobile platform that brings support for both features.

apple-music-album-cover-art.png

As per the changelog for the release, spotted by 9to5Google:
In this update, Apple Music adds spatial listening on compatible devices, with thousands of tracks in Dolby Atmos available at launch.

Other updates include Lossless Audio, a new way to experience un-compromised sound, with bit-for-bit accuracy.
In the app's Settings menu, there is a new "Audio Quality" sub-menu to enable Lossless Audio, and users can choose between the different tiers where applicable.

The beta release for Apple Music 3.6 for Android also includes automatic crossfade and enhancements to the library in-line search function.

Note that lossless audio files preserve every detail of the original file, and enabling the feature will consume significantly more data. For example, 10GB of space should store around 3,000 songs at high quality, but 1,000 songs with lossless, and just 200 songs with hi-res lossless.

Getting access to this version requires users signing up for the beta channel in the Play Store, but the fact that they are included suggests the wider Apple Music user base on Android won't have to wait much longer to get these features, too.

Apple has not specified which Android devices might be compatible with Spatial Audio, but a wide range of Apple devices can access the feature including the ‌iPhone‌ 7 and later, all iPad Pro models, the 6th-generation ‌iPad‌ or later, the iPad Air 3 and later, the fifth-generation iPad mini and later, the 2018 or later MacBook Pro/MacBook Air, and the 2020 or later iMac.

Article Link: Latest Apple Music Beta for Android Adds Spatial and Lossless Audio

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SurferPup

slammer0

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
iPhone 6S has headphone jack integrated. Just like many non-flagship Android devices. I think that the thing here is that some of the Android flagship phoes have mini-jack builtin. I think this is minor difference. If you have wired headphones adding those 5cm for the adapter on top of the 1-2m headphone cable won't make you any difference. And if adapter cost seems significant, the headphones used for lossless audio probably won't be any good as well.

Reactions: B/D

Wildkraut

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Yes, through the Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter it's possible to get lossless audio (up to 48 kHz).
hehe the DAC of this Adapter is garbage compared to a decently build-in headphone jack.
It's so bad that not even Apple dares to write down detailed specs on their site.

Also have fun charging and listening at the same time, and if you own the Airpods Max the situation becomes even worse.

Apple Lossless will be a miserable experience on Apples own platform, except if you own a supported older iPhone with headphone jack (<=iPhone7), and a decent third party headphone. A bummer for a company glorifying their own ecosystem.

• Haha
Reactions: brucemr and 4487549

Serban55

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2020
That's a laughing stock, Android devices with headphone jack will fully support Apple HiFi, while Apples own devices won't. 🤣
android devices doesnt have headphone jack either , remember that they had copied Apple on that too !?

Serban55

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2020
hehe the DAC of this Adapter is garbage compared to a decently build-in headphone jack.
It's so bad that not even Apple dares to write down detailed specs on their site.

Also have fun charging and listening at the same time, and if you own the Airpods Max the situation becomes even worse.

Apple Lossless will be a miserable experience on Apples own platform, except if you own a supported older iPhone with headphone jack (<=iPhone7), and a decent third party headphone. A bummer for a company glorifying their own ecosystem.
you really charge and listen to your smartphone? you really have 2 cables at the same time? a lot of people dont do that frequently
dont you have another device like a mac or something else while your smartphone is charging ?!
No wonder you like to hate..we dont worry, and you should not worry for us, worry about yourself

LovePeace

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021

When Apple last week launched Spatial Audio and Lossless Audio for Apple Music, it said that the new features would be "coming soon" to Android. Now, the company has released a new Apple Music beta for the rival mobile platform that brings support for both features.

apple-music-album-cover-art.png

As per the changelog for the release, spotted by 9to5Google:
In the app's Settings menu, there is a new "Audio Quality" sub-menu to enable Lossless Audio, and users can choose between the different tiers where applicable.

The beta release for Apple Music 3.6 for Android also includes automatic crossfade and enhancements to the library in-line search function.

Note that lossless audio files preserve every detail of the original file, and enabling the feature will consume significantly more data. For example, 10GB of space should store around 3,000 songs at high quality, but 1,000 songs with lossless, and just 200 songs with hi-res lossless.

Getting access to this version requires users signing up for the beta channel in the Play Store, but the fact that they are included suggests the wider Apple Music user base on Android won't have to wait much longer to get these features, too.

Apple has not specified which Android devices might be compatible with Spatial Audio, but a wide range of Apple devices can access the feature including the ‌iPhone‌ 7 and later, all iPad Pro models, the 6th-generation ‌iPad‌ or later, the iPad Air 3 and later, the fifth-generation iPad mini and later, the 2018 or later MacBook Pro/MacBook Air, and the 2020 or later iMac.

Article Link: Latest Apple Music Beta for Android Adds Spatial and Lossless Audio
What about iPod Touch? As a music lover, I'm fan of this device. Cannot be replaced by an iPhone. I hope future versions of the iPod Touch will keep the headphone jack which does not technically stop the possibility to use the Lightning port in case of needing a Spatial Audio out signal. I believe no iPod Touch user would be unpleased by a thicker iPod Touch if that is the price to pay for a more lasting battery and a headphone jack.

B/D

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2016

This is just not correct. Like, empirically not correct.

And you are assuming that the main listening of Apple Lossless will be done of mobile devices with headphones. I doubt it. In fact, you have to manually enable lossless in settings, and I don´t think the vast majority of people will care that much about audio.

Those who do, I think they will listening to Apple Music lossless on a dedicated hi-fi stereo system connected to an Apple TV 4K, or in a setup like this:

4edjbzkkr8571.jpg

Wildkraut

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
This is just not correct. Like, empirically not correct.

And you are assuming that the main listening of Apple Lossless will be done of mobile devices with headphones. I doubt it. In fact, you have to manually enable lossless in settings, and I don´t think the vast majority of people will care that much about audio.

Those who do, I think they will listening to Apple Music lossless on a dedicated hi-fi stereo system connected to an Apple TV 4K, or in a setup like this:

4edjbzkkr8571.jpg
Plugging your iPad to an APM and big boxes wont make your music sound better, just louder.
But at least the iPad has a headphone jack.

X-Haul

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021

If you don't like the cheap original Lightning to 3.5 adapter, what's stopping you from buying a quality USB DAC and using it with your iPhone? I listen to music on my SE 2020 via Dragonfly Cobalt - the sound is amazing. No flagship phone offers such quality through the built-in 3.5 connector.

Reactions: darkslide29

B/D

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2016
What?. Big boxes?. I was just giving you an example. A dedicated good quality stereo system will always be better to enjoy high quality audio than a mobile device, no matter how good the headphone or the internal DAC of the device. If I´m at home in silence and I want to just sit down and play some music, I not gonna grab my mobile device or put my headphones on. I will go to my living room and use my home stereo. But maybe it just me.

Listening to lossless on the streets, or while walking, makes no sense to me.

B/D

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2016
If you don't like the cheap original Lightning to 3.5 adapter, what's stopping you from buying a quality USB DAC and using it with your iPhone? I listen to music on my SE 2020 via Dragonfly Cobalt - the sound is amazing. No flagship phone offers such quality through the built-in 3.5 connector.

Very good point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.