Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Doesn't look like a Park.

An area devoted to a specified purpose.
[doublepost=1500828187][/doublepost]
I love these videos, but I wonder how long drones will be allowed to fly over Apple Park. After all privacy should be granted even to Eddie, especially as footage to confirm he's goofing around all day would be totally unnecessary.

I love the progress and will continue watching them each month, but the value is diminishing as it's mostly just some landscaping.

I miss this stage of the development cycle where we got to go underground and every month there was monumental changes.

12163-5782-Campus20315152-l.jpg

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
The goobers on here complaining about Apple Park would be sniping no matter what course Apple had chosen. Apple could have remodeled the HP campus and moved in, and the goobers would have complained. Apple could have built buildings like Lowe's, Home Depot, and Walmart, and the goobers would have complained. Apple could have built a giant cube, and the goobers would have complained.

Instead, Apple and Steve Jobs chose to build a campus that fit their vision and tastes...and the goobers complain.

Are you complaining about the goobers again. I thought I told you to knock the off.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Not to worry. Your frequent and reflexive anti-Apple retorts needn't be addressed and are easily ignored.
Thx for your observations, matching my psych team's diagnosis: a rare AAPL love/hate relationship.
And a failing ignore-button

Last edited:

FactVsOpinion

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
It's because Apple don't make many products and they are released so seldom that there is nothing else to talk about.
If Apple had a wider product range and you could buy many Apple products to use in your home, things would be different.

I do wonder if people expect more products to come, once this building is finished.

Indeed, SC Johnson is a fine example, but then realise how few of those positive examples exist...
Mega corporations at their top generally attract overcapitalist, crazy-whealty, A-type bozo's with stellar ego's.
I could mention a few at Apple (too many)
In the production/capital goods sector, their arrival merely landmarks the way down.
I am not implying this is the case with Apple, but it's stunning how badly they follow Steve's final instructions and changed the overall pathos - essentially betraying his idea's.
To me, that's the black shadow over this otherwise fine building (also used to feign they do follow Steve)

So: merely because of its monumental nature, I am not saying that building should be striken by fire, earthquakes or thelike in order to get that top brass humble and in line again.
But at the same time, it might eventually help....

Each time I see messages like this I wonder how different their market cap, profitability, and success would be if only the commenter was running the show.

Surely all way higher.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Each time I see messages like this I wonder how different their market cap, profitability, and success would be if only the commenter was running the show.
Surely all way higher.
Dare I suggest the slightly more practical option, where those who run the show listen to just 0,1 promille of this feedback and launch a Mac mini, a decent Macpro, a MBP with more connectivity and a single new iPhone design say every other year - like any company of this size would to do.
And then Look at the financial effect (if that's your mere concern)
Oh, and a dongle that will connect you to causes instead of killing messengers...

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
As usual, YouTube doesn't allow 4K video playback on Macs using Safari. Stupid of them.

There is no reason why I have to jump through hoops.

How is Apple's laziness a YouTube problem? They just need one person at that large campus to add VP9 open codec to Safari required for 4K videos. It didn't stop Firefox, Edge, VLC, Chrome, etc.

https://www.webmproject.org/vp9/

Reactions: Pbrutto

GFF

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/05/apple-park-campus-impact-on-cupertino/

This is reported to be running, so far, around $5 billion, and that's only the cost to Apple. This article alludes to the peripheral costs of escalating property value estimates for the surrounding area. Houses are doubling and tripling in cost, and they weren't exactly cheap in the first place. Another thing I wonder, given the sometimes fleeting lifetimes and fates of tech corporations - remember Digital Equipment Corporation, which was a staple for at least half my 35 year career, from PDP-11s, Dec-10/20s and Vaxes, all the way to Alpha servers? - what will this huge thing look like in 20 or 30 years? And what will happen to this property, should Apple go under, downsize, or reinvent itself? But yes, it is quite a world wonder. So was Houston's Astrodome 50 years ago.

Stories regarding rise in property value are a red herring. Property value all over the Bay Area from North of San Francisco to south of San Jose have risen significantly over the last ten years. The trend isn’t because of Apple. It’s the economy as a whole. People forget that Google, Facebook, Microsoft (not their main office of course), Tesla, Nvidia, and many other multi-billion dollar companies, and Stanford university are just a few exits down the road. In San Jose home prices have doubled in the last five years. Same can be said for most other communities in the area.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
Looks the same as last month.

No, it doesn’t. You can clearly see the difference, including the piles of soil this time that, weren’t there last time.

In addition, I see some areas that now have grass, indicating that tree planting is finished in those areas.

Last edited:

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Stories regarding rise in property value are a red herring. Property value all over the Bay Area from North of San Francisco to south of San Jose have risen significantly over the last ten years. The trend isn’t because of Apple. It’s the economy as a whole. People forget that Google, Facebook, Microsoft (not their main office of course), Tesla, Nvidia, and many other multi-billion dollar companies, and Stanford university are just a few exits down the road. In San Jose home prices have doubled in the last five years. Same can be said for most other communities in the area.

Property values rising elsewhere or for other reasons doesn't mean that the building a new HQ with considerably more office space in single location isn't also going to have an effect on property values in the area.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I look at this as a new phase for the company, and an entirely essential organizational evolution. The ring layout implies enhanced inter-departmental coordination and efficiency. The Apple team needs these enhancements now more than ever.
There's an interesting metaphor in here, taking the direct path to any department not adjacent to one's own requires going outside* the loop.

*: (technically, inside/across the loop, but since the building is only the edge of the circle and doesn't occupy the surrounded area in the middle, it's outside of that edge. Plus, hey, it involves actually going outside.)

Reactions: mi7chy

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Stories regarding rise in property value are a red herring.

The rise in property value around Apple 'O'rifice is driven by employees wanting to live near work to avoid a long commute. Otherwise, normal people would want to avoid the increased traffic, congestion and noise.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I wonder what mechanism they're going to use to clean the solar cells on the garages and the main building.
Surely the continuous downblast from the collected fleet of random people's drones hovering over the building will keep much dust from collecting.
[doublepost=1500834137][/doublepost]
Maybe windex and some old t-shirts.
Hmm... continuous round track, glassy smooth... have a monthly "bring your kids to work day", give them microfiber slippers and tell them to go play "speed skating" on the roof.

X--X

Suspended
Jun 11, 2015
I wonder how long drones will be allowed to fly over Apple Park.

Apple has now hired security personnel specifically to monitor adjacent properties to ensure no one flies drones near their new campus. If the pilots refuse to leave, security will call the police to have them "forcibly removed." Apple has essentially declared its airspace a no-fly zone although it's unclear if they can do that without an official FAA declaration.

Source: DroneOneMedia / Techspot

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That theater entrance looks incredible! That building is even more impressive looking than the spaceship, as if it's a roof floating in space. It's interesting how completely ordinary and even bland the rectangular buildings look in comparison to the rest of the campus.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
I look at this as a new phase for the company, and an entirely essential organizational evolution. The ring layout implies enhanced inter-departmental coordination and efficiency. The Apple team needs these enhancements now more than ever.
So apart from their offices in Abu Dhabi, Austin, Beijing, Camrose, Chengdu, Cork, Haifa, Herzliya, Hong Kong, London, Maiden (NC), Mexico City, Moscow, Newark, New Delhi Ops, New York City, Paris, Portland, Raanana, Reno, Richmond (VA), Sacramento, Santa Clara Valley, Santa Monica, Santiago, Seoul, Shanghai, Stockholm, Sydney, Taipei, Tokyo, Toronto, Uxbridge, Vancouver.

No you're right, Apple's people are all apparently in one building.
[doublepost=1500838822][/doublepost]
Incidentally, they will produce tons of apples (the fruit).
Read this:
https://venturebeat.com/2016/06/04/...-planting-plans-for-its-new-spaceship-campus/
There is not a mention of any of those trees being "apple" trees. Not one, ever.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I would imagine that the repeating layout of both the solar panels and glass for the walls would mean that they could design and build robots with ease to do most of the work.

I think we all know the more likely option they will use the same one used to make their products.
Cheap foreign labour to do the work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.