Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nov 6, 2007
And it makes those laptops with nipple joysticks in the middle of the keyboard look comical (not that they weren't already).

Oh I hated those things. Interesting term you use. :rolleyes: anyway, we always called them eraser heads. not only where they difficult to control, they broke easy, wore down quickly (I had a laptop where it became even with the keys - everytime I go to touch it, I ended up typing something). I also hated you pretty much had to wipe your hand off after using it. It was like an eraser, got that abrasion stuff all over your fingers once it started to wear down.

I do like Multi-touch. My whitebook is lacking some of the features of the newer macbooks, but what I do have I like. Better than a mouse, and I use my wacom for more precise things.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Interesting. Am I the only one that thinks multi-touch should get the proverbial finger? It seems to me that all that's happening is you are substituting one 'gesture' for another? So you need to learn a whole new alphabet. How is that better than the one I already know? I must say it doesn't appeal to me at all. Sure, it's 'hip' but I think it will die out much like the digital tablet has - to obscurity.
Give me a well thought out tree of commands with context sensitive drop-downs, and a mouse.
I give it one finger - guess which one.:rolleyes:

Rich :cool:

thetinman

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
England
If that worked like its described i would move over to FireFox in a flash, i find it to be more compatible with certain web sites than Safari.

B1gMac

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
I already use multiclutch to do many of those things. BUT, I much prefer using a swipe left and swipe right to switch between tabs. A twisting motion seems more like a forward/backwards thing right?

Anyways, it's also a bad idea to have something saved as swipe up/down, when you already have a swipe left/right. It's really easy to accidentally do the wrong one (most of us don't swipe in perfect directions, and tend to be more diagonal).

Mardak

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2005
You can customize the behavior through about:config for Beta 2. Type in about:config into the location bar and you'll see a list of preferences. You can search for "gesture" and find the commands they're defaulted to.
Is it possible to configure this to have
- Swipe Up: new tab
- Swipe Down: close tab ?
browser.gesture.swipe.up cmd_newNavigatorTab
browser.gesture.swipe.down cmd_close

Just to be safe, you can make a gesture to undo close tab as well.. such as holding shift when doing the close gesture:
browser.gesture.swipe.down.shift History:UndoCloseTab
(about:config, right-click -> new -> string)

swipe up : new tab
swipe down: go to the next tab
zoom out: close tab
zoom in: go to home
browser.gesture.swipe.up cmd_newNavigatorTab
browser.gesture.swipe.down Browser:NextTab
browser.gesture.pinch.out cmd_close
browser.gesture.pinch.in Browser:Home

Maybe toss in a compliment of swipe down with ctrl to go back..
browser.gesture.swipe.down.ctrl Browser:prevTab

Or similar to creating a new tab.. swipe up and alt? meta (cmd)? ctrl? shift? to undo close tab
browser.gesture.swipe.up.alt History:UndoCloseTab

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I also may be one to switch back to firefox. The multi touch gestures are the only reason I use safari. It is nice to have two functional browsers, however. One for me and one for my wife.

dougelo7

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
USA
Interesting. Am I the only one that thinks multi-touch should get the proverbial finger? It seems to me that all that's happening is you are substituting one 'gesture' for another? So you need to learn a whole new alphabet. How is that better than the one I already know? I must say it doesn't appeal to me at all. Sure, it's 'hip' but I think it will die out much like the digital tablet has - to obscurity.
Give me a well thought out tree of commands with context sensitive drop-downs, and a mouse.

Am I the only one who is highly offended by your remarks? (Nobody else has replied.)

Multitouch is WAY better than some stupid keyboard commands (except for copy-and-paste IMO). I've used both and multitouch (NOT multiclutch!!!) is easier to remember because it makes more physical sense, plus it's faster because your hand is already on the trackpad controlling the mouse pointer.

A lot of money and hard work went into this technology. I am completely outraged at your dismissal of its brilliance. (I have an iPhone and a MacBook Air, plus THREE desktop computers, two PCs and an iMac, so I can tell you that multitouch is a huge time saver and an enjoyable experience to boot.)

Oh and I'm not an Apple employee or a Mac fanboy, I just recognize excellence when I see it.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
released on monday? ... I've been using this build for about a month now :confused:

EDIT: oh, just noticed the pre build ... nm.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007

I'm not sure that I agree with you...I really like the gestures and think they're really useful especially for quick one-handed browsing. If I want to switch tabs in firefox I can either move my mouse to the top of the screen...aim and click (three step process) or I can use a keyboard shortcut (which requires use of my other hand) or I can make a small gesture with my right hand.... I think the gesture is a winner here.

Just one more thing...the "well thought out tree of commands with context sensitive" idea sounds a lot like the Windows start menu. However, my feeling is that once you get used to the Mac Dock it is much quicker and easier to access your favorite programs than the Windows Start menu.

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
I'm not sure that I agree with you...I really like the gestures and think they're really useful especially for quick one-handed browsing. If I want to switch tabs in firefox I can either move my mouse to the top of the screen...aim and click (three step process) or I can use a keyboard shortcut (which requires use of my other hand) or I can make a small gesture with my right hand.... I think the gesture is a winner here.

Just one more thing...the "well thought out tree of commands with context sensitive" idea sounds a lot like the Windows start menu. However, my feeling is that once you get used to the Mac Dock it is much quicker and easier to access your favorite programs than the Windows Start menu.

I agree. I was very unsure as to whether or not i would like multi-touch when i bought my alu-macbook. I love it, and the reason I do not use the current firefox build is lack of support for these gestures. The swiping, and other commands are a giant time saver, and much easier to use. Sometimes people resist change, and I feel this is one of those times. However, it is much easier to use, and doesnt take long to get used to it. When I have to use a computer other than my macbook, it drives me up the wall that I cannot use 3 and 4 finger gestures (even for non internet tasks). I think multi-touch is here to stay, and will only get better.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Scroll with two fingers has been available for years... it's not just part of the latest macs. It's basically the mouse scroll wheel (on non-macs this is done with a special area on the trackpad using one finger normally).

I'd played with the wife's new macbook and I think multitouch has gone too far with these.. 3 fingers? twisting? That's not remotely intuitive or easy to perform (twisting your hand to do stuff is very uncomfortable in fact if you need to twist more than a few degrees).

Are you kidding? I use Safari in OS X over Firefox simply because of the multi-touch gestures. It's like using keyboard shortcuts, only easier (and more fun).

Wow this is awesome. Go firefox. :)

rockdog

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2005
N Idaho
I can not wait until this technology comes to the desktop macs via some kind of touch pad, shouldn't be too long

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've added multitouch gestures to safari for opening new tabs, switching tabs, closing tabs, etc via a great 3rd party system pref, MultiClutch.

Silly question, but does the Firefox build multi-touch support work on the Windows side as well? I have a Dell XT, and I know HP has recently adopted the N-Trig screen as well.
If Internet Explorer has it and its a Windows standard feature, I'm not sure why they wouldn't. That the reason it was so important on the Mac. The multitouch support is really changing the way I use the system, and it really wows people because its so convenient (expose is just ALL THAT).

~ CB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.