Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I can not wait until this technology comes to the desktop macs via some kind of touch pad, shouldn't be too long

Yes, please! I'd love to have a nice bluetooth multi-touch pad to use on Safari and throughout OS X. A nice heavy piece of glass that rests on your desk....

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
What really sucks is going from a computer with gestures to one without it. Then it's like 'how do I scroll if I can't swipe with two fingers?'

LOL
So true. I play with my MBP Al and when I get back to my old iBook I keep wandering: where the heck are those scroll bars again... ;)

(That's actually one of the reason I got back to Safari)

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
...Sure, it's 'hip' but I think it will die out much like the digital tablet has - to obscurity.
Give me a well thought out tree of commands with context sensitive drop-downs, and a mouse.
I give it one finger - guess which one.:rolleyes:

Rich :cool:

Sure, whatever... Let's talk about that "dying technology" in 5 years...

MaxiKana

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
Oh I hated those things. Interesting term you use. :rolleyes: anyway, we always called them eraser heads. not only where they difficult to control, they broke easy, wore down quickly (I had a laptop where it became even with the keys - everytime I go to touch it, I ended up typing something). I also hated you pretty much had to wipe your hand off after using it. It was like an eraser, got that abrasion stuff all over your fingers once it started to wear down.

I do like Multi-touch. My whitebook is lacking some of the features of the newer macbooks, but what I do have I like. Better than a mouse, and I use my wacom for more precise things.

They are actually called nipples.

http://catb.org/jargon/html/N/nipple-mouse.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nipple mouse

goodwilldrums

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Oklahoma City
Scroll with two fingers has been available for years... it's not just part of the latest macs. It's basically the mouse scroll wheel (on non-macs this is done with a special area on the trackpad using one finger normally).

I'd played with the wife's new macbook and I think multitouch has gone too far with these.. 3 fingers? twisting? That's not remotely intuitive or easy to perform (twisting your hand to do stuff is very uncomfortable in fact if you need to twist more than a few degrees).

I could not disagree more. Especially with this new FF beta, I've been playing with it all day long, and you don't have to twist 90°. 45° at most. It's very easy and now I can only think how I lived without this feature.

Thanks FireFox! I was an original recruit and continue to chose you over Safari

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
I would like to do this as well; the only thing keeping me from removing the back/forward button is that when I'm in a pdf document (inside safari), of some reason backward swipe doesn't work, but the back button still does of course.

You can always 'APPLE then 'BRACKET back and forth

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Are there any other new web technologies than multi-touch that firefox doesn't already support? Since my Mac doesn't support multi-touch, should I even bother to download this update?

Did you read the whole post? The gesture stuff was simply the Mac-specific part. You can read the release notes to see all that's going on, and remember this is just a Beta release currently. There's things like the Private Browsing, new ways to work with your History, further support for HTML5 / CSS / JavaScript, etc. And in general you should go install updates as they almost always include security updates.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
Yes, please! I'd love to have a nice bluetooth multi-touch pad to use on Safari and throughout OS X. A nice heavy piece of glass that rests on your desk....

I would sooo buy one of those.... come on Apple, I grow tired of the Mighty Mouse.... BRING ON THE MAXI PAD!!!

Nov 6, 2007

ok you got me there :p I guess seeing what my other passion is, and living in the bible belt, we just did not use that term. I just could not see telling a computer user (especially a woman) to slightly move the nipple.

I like what one of your websites had for tag for it "Pointless accessory", because you could not do any precise pointing or drawing with it. What I do not understand is why some laptops had that and a trad pad, and why Lenovo (formally IBM) still makes laptops with it.

Nov 6, 2007
I would sooo buy one of those.... come on Apple, I grow tired of the Mighty Mouse.... BRING ON THE MAXI PAD!!!

Apple needs to join forces with wacom and come up with a tablet and track pad that dws both multi-touch and also what the wacom already does...

NOW THERE IS A DEVICE TO TALK ABOUT!!!!

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I've used some utility to have multitouch on my browsers for a while, and I've found that zoom in/out gestures are too easy to activate while scrolling. Everything else is extremely quick, and has improved my browsing experience.

Swipe down= Close tab
Swipe up= Open last closed tab (command+shift+t, to fix any accidental downswipes)
Twist right= Next tab to the right
Twist left= Next tab to the left
Swipe right= back
Swipe left= forward

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
This is News?

Ummmm... if anyone here paid any attention to technology other than what Apple is doing they would know that HP has been making mulit-touch tablet PCs for some time now that support these commands on a Vista-based PC with *any* browser. Get a grip Apple lovers. Apple catching up to the rest of the industry doesn't qualify as front page news, doesn it?

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I would love to see some swiping for my iPhone's safari. It's such a pain to close windows or switch between them quickly. MultiClutch for iPhone?

I agree. I was very unsure as to whether or not i would like multi-touch when i bought my alu-macbook. I love it, and the reason I do not use the current firefox build is lack of support for these gestures. The swiping, and other commands are a giant time saver, and much easier to use. Sometimes people resist change, and I feel this is one of those times. However, it is much easier to use, and doesnt take long to get used to it. When I have to use a computer other than my macbook, it drives me up the wall that I cannot use 3 and 4 finger gestures (even for non internet tasks). I think multi-touch is here to stay, and will only get better.

Firefox has had the back/forward swipes with two fingers since Fx2 (quite a while ago). Hold command and swipe with two fingers. Not as elegant since it still requires the keyboard, but I always have my left hand on the keyboard and my right on the trackpad.

Also, I suspect you could use multiclutch to fill in the gaps anyway.

Ummmm... if anyone here paid any attention to technology other than what Apple is doing they would know that HP has been making mulit-touch tablet PCs for some time now that support these commands on a Vista-based PC with *any* browser. Get a grip Apple lovers. Apple catching up to the rest of the industry doesn't qualify as front page news, doesn it?

Yes, but when HP/Windows gets a technology, why should we care? We don't use it. This site is about announcing new things for Apple fans, not just general technology. Your argument would work on Digg or Slashdot, as this may not really be news there, but it is certainly valid and welcome news here.

SleepyHead157

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
the features are awesome but there's too many bugs. I had to roll back this afternoon because of the problems.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I cant get the rotate/twist gesture to change tabs in safari can you, I mean according to this post you can but....are you sure?

I'm sure. Using multiclutch, you can configure the rotate gestures to switch between tabs in Safari. You just have to set it up so CMD + } is associated with rotating right, and CMD + { is rotate left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.