Latest High Sierra update did not work on my hacked 2009 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by higgledy, Jun 11, 2018.

1. higgledy macrumors newbie

I upgraded to the latest High Sierra public release and it crashed my OS. Now all I get is a big 0 with a slash instead of the Apple logo. I cannot get to the recovery boot either. Has this happened to others?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

What model laptop do you have? If it’s an older one with the optical drive, it could be the SATA cable.

3. higgledy thread starter macrumors newbie

It’s a late 2009 model. It’s not supported but I hacked the High Sierra install following this guide: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

It worked great until this update, but I’m not sure if the hack is the problem or like you said maybe the SATA cable or something else.

4. chrfr macrumors 604

It's a safe bet the hack is related to the problem. It's a bit disingenuous to claim the update bricked your Mac.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Okay, probably the cause of the issue then.

I’d recommend booting to an external drive and seeing if the drive appears in Disk Utility. Or boot into your Time Machine backup (if you have one) and check there. If the disk shows up, format it and restore the backup.

6. higgledy thread starter macrumors newbie

True, the update did not cause the bricking. My hack did. I hope you like my updated title.

BTW, this laptop has been 100% trouble free since I bought it. Great quality. It’s too bad the new ones are so expensive.