Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple prepares to launch its upcoming iOS 15 operating system to millions of iPhone users this fall, the latest beta for the update has seemingly improved how users' iPhones take and process photos in certain lighting conditions.

ios-15-lens-flare.jpg
Image Credit: Reddit

The camera hardware inside iPhones plays a significant role in the quality of photos that users can take with their devices, but another factor affecting image quality is the iPhone's on-device processing done by the Image Signal Processor, or ISP.

In the latest iOS 15 beta, Apple has possibly improved iPhone processing when users take photos in conditions where lens flare is sometimes an unwanted artifact. The change was first brought to light on Reddit and further publicized by the popular iPhone camera app Halide on Twitter.

Two side-by-side photos appear to show that Apple removes lens flare from photos during post-photo processing on the newest beta. The photo below shows the final still shot from a Live Photo without lens flare.

ios-15-no-lens-flare.jpg
Same image as above, after iPhone processing

This is not a change Apple has promoted or commented on, so it's not clear what exactly is going on. However, the latest beta could be improving the system that the iPhone uses to detect different indoor and outdoor scenes, and using that information to compensate and remove unwanted lens flare.

One Reddit user points out that they could see noticeable lens flare after taking a photo on their iPhone 12 Pro. When revisiting the image later on in the day, though, they noticed it had automatically been removed from the photo.
So I've noticed something that I haven't seen reported elsewhere; whilst out and about I took this photo and thought it was ruined/needing to be edited later due to the lens flare (as I've done numerous times in previous photos with the iPhone 12 Pro as it's so prone to lens flares). However, I got home and noticed the lens flare has automatically gone in the original photo despite it being obviously there still in the live photo, meaning the automatic post processing has gotten smart enough to remove lens flares now!
iOS 15 is still in beta testing with developers and public beta testers and won't be available to all iPhone users until later this fall. Apple is also testing iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, watchOS 8, and tvOS 15.

Article Link: Latest iOS 15 Beta Appears to Automatically Remove Lens Flare From Photos in Certain Conditions

Last edited:

MrLoL

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Some of my pictures of the sun during the partial eclipse taken early june with beta 1 of iOS 15 shows that the lens flare had already been removed from the photo itself, but not for the live photo recording. Maybe this change is included in iOS 15 altogether, or it's been applied on all the photos since last beta

8DD5AF92-828A-4D5F-A971-C3DBBEE7524C.jpeg
BBF842A9-962E-45C5-8DA0-69AC13B6086B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TVreporter

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Nice.

Shouldn't deep fusion help with this since the flare wouldn't be consistent across various photos with different exposures?

Reactions: Sydde

Spock

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I wonder if this will help with the weird lens flare/reflection issues that I have with my 12 Pro Max.. full window shaped artifact in the attached photo.

Attachments

• 4C961167-107C-492C-B9D0-271D71A523BC.jpeg
    4C961167-107C-492C-B9D0-271D71A523BC.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 161

Macintosh IIvx

Suspended
Mar 19, 2021
Apple knows best. Can't have some photographer using their own talent and skill when composing and taking a shot.
The RAW image will still have that data for the photographers you're worried about.

Apple always has focused on the general consumer. This change is great for 99.9% of their hundreds of millions of users. For the 0.1% of photographers that really want their own skill to come through, they can use the RAW image. Or they can always shoot on their far better dSLR :rolleyes:

grjj

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014
You'd might be surprised how many camera quality calls this drives to support.

mymacrumorsname

Cancelled
Dec 20, 2019
Whats wrong with lens flares? This is exactly how my eyes see the reality when looking at the sun. Should I visit a doctor? Since pandemic I am observing nature and sun through youtube.

• Disagree
Reactions: Morgenland
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.