Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
As I understand it lens flare is a function of the physics of light, not some defect in how a lens is made. Yet the clueless are constantly blaming Apple for their ‘design defect’ or ‘manufacturing flaws’ in this matter. So now we have software that attempts to correct what the laws of physics dictates.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Can't the photographer just use the ProRAW version of the photo to demonstrate their own talent?

At the expense of space. Yes, RAW is nice when you have removable storage so size is less of an issue, but on IPhones unless you spend serious coin space will be a problem.

As long as it’s an option you can turn off, great, but I wouldn’t want Apple just guessing what I was trying to do when taking a photo with no choice but to accept what they decide. But then I guess there’s other camera apps too.

Same here. Let me turn off corrections, I can always do that in post.

The RAW image will still have that data for the photographers you're worried about.

Apple always has focused on the general consumer. This change is great for 99.9% of their hundreds of millions of users.

Yes, and that makes sense. Just add in the ability to turn off processing altogether and ideally apply it individually.

For the 0.1% of photographers that really want their own skill to come through, they can use the RAW image. Or they can always shoot on their far better dSLR :rolleyes:

True, but carrying around a dSLR is a lot less convenient than an iPhone, and often you have the iPhone in situations where an unexpected opportunity happens.

Len flare is actually not a skill in photography ? In fact, the mission to get rid of Len flare, or reduce it, starts with lens itself. The more modern the lens is, the more expensive it is, the less flare you'll get.

I disagree, it's all about the eye of the photographer and what they want to show. It's no different than blurring, bokeh, IR or any other technique to produce the desired image.

Last edited:

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Love my 12 Mini, but the lens flare/light artifacts when shooting in low light or at night is just horrid. I hope iOS 15 fixes that.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Len flare is actually not a skill in photography ? In fact, the mission to get rid of Len flare, or reduce it, starts with lens itself. The more modern the lens is, the more expensive it is, the less flare you'll get.
The ability to choose or not choose lens flare, and positioning of the flare, is absolutely a photography skill. Most (maybe all) lenses produce it but it can be mitigated with hoods and other techniques. The more elements a lens has, the more likely it is to produce flare, so yeah, those big expensive zooms running above 10k are going to have artifacts if the photographer is shooting at certain angles in relation to the sun/light source and not using a hood.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I have genuinely taken photos in such a way that I intentionally wanted the lens flare in a situation before. I think it can look really nice. That is a subjective taste thing. It's probably a niche thing to do, but it's nice to be able to. I could absolutely understand Apple guessing most people don't desire to have a lens flare most of the time, and the ability to automatically get rid of it is great, just like options for auto red-eye reduction/elimination, and image stabilisation are great. By all means make it the default. Just put an 'off' switch in, that's all I'm saying :)

N1noodle

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
Sweden
Whats wrong with lens flares? This is exactly how my eyes see the reality when looking at the sun. Should I visit a doctor? Since pandemic I am observing nature and sun through youtube.

It all depends how you want the photo end result to be.

Bad lens flare or overuse of flens flare is pretty common if you check out flickr or 500pc or some other public photo
place.

Most of the time, proper use of light and positioning can leviate that is my experiance anyway.

Microkozm

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
I recently switched from a Pixel 2 to an iPhone 12 pro. I'm guessing this wont fix the issues I'm running into. Apple support basically told me I'm taking the pictures wrong, and the flare I'm getting is "expected".

Mind you not all photos are like this. Its just the ones when its bright out.

Attachments

• example1.jpg
    example1.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 82
  • example2.jpg
    example2.jpg
    836.5 KB · Views: 80
  • example3.jpg
    example3.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 70
  • example4.jpg
    example4.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 82

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I wonder if there will be any control of the default video exposure setting in iOS 15.

I think the auto exposure turns up the exposure too much, making brighter elements getting "burned out". I mostly manually drag down the exposure a bit each time a new recording is started. Would be nice not having to do that.

Or are there any recommendations for third party video recording apps that can do what I want? ?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I think many people are complaining more about glare, which is a type of lens flare and caused by off-axis light scattering between lens elements, and with internal lens housing itself. Ditto for artifact flare. Lens hoods on conventional cameras can help by significantly keeping intense off-axis sunlight out of the lens assembly.

I've noticed more artifact lens flare on my iPhone 12 than on previous iPhones. Glare I don't mind too much (usually) as it can often be compensated. Artifact flare I find annoying. I suspect it is driven by the design of the protruding lens assembly without enough internal anti-reflective coatings on the barrel and especially around the internal edge of the protective front glass. Here's an example:

Dogs playing with lens flare.jpg

Microkozm

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
I think many people are complaining more about glare, which is a type of lens flare and caused by off-axis light scattering between lens elements, and with internal lens housing itself. Ditto for artifact flare. Lens hoods on conventional cameras can help by significantly reducing intense off-axis sunlight out of the lens assembly.

I've noticed more artifact lens flare on my iPhone 12 than on previous iPhones. Glare I don't mind too much (usually) as it can often be compensated. Artifact flare I find annoying. I suspect it is driven by the design of the protruding lens assembly without enough internal anti-reflective coatings on the barrel and especially around the internal edge of the protective front glass. Here's an example:

View attachment 1814636
This is exactly what I'm running into. Seems like any bright setting is a gamble as to whether the photo will turn out or not

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
This is exactly what I'm running into. Seems like any bright setting is a gamble as to whether the photo will turn out or not

Sometimes a slight reframing or shooting from a slightly different position can help. So can using your hand to help block the extraneous sunlight - though that's often tough to do while holding your camera and taking the picture.

I'm tempted to take a pigment-based black ink fine tip marker and coat the chamfered outside edge of the protective glass lens lens cover, and the shiny top surface of the surrounding metal barrel on my phone. That *might* work.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I wonder if this will help with the weird lens flare/reflection issues that I have with my 12 Pro Max.. full window shaped artifact in the attached photo.
Yes, I believe this is specifically what it’s meant to help with. And, it’s a problem I always thought could be resolved ever since they started taking many photos prior to snapping the shutter and after. Any artifacts that move wildly during that time is, of course, due to the limitations of the lens. And, since I’m going to use the heal tool to remove it anyway, just use the “actual” pixels you caught as that artifact was bobbling around and use those.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I have genuinely taken photos in such a way that I intentionally wanted the lens flare in a situation before.
Yes, but I don’t think anyone has ever taken a photo of, say, a tree strung with lights against a dark background and intentionally wanted tons of little artifact lights all around, though.

Microkozm

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
Wisconsin
Sometimes a slight reframing or shooting from a slightly different position can help. So can using your hand to help block the extraneous sunlight - though that's often tough to do while holding your camera and taking the picture.

I'm tempted to take a pigment-based black ink fine tip marker and coat the chamfered outside edge of the protective glass lens lens cover, and the shiny top surface of the surrounding metal barrel on my phone. That *might* work.
Good ideas, but I'd sooner sell the phone and switch back to Android. A few ruined vacation photos are enough for me.

If the Pixel 6's new camera sensor outperforms the 12 pro, I don't mind switching.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Yes, but I don’t think anyone has ever taken a photo of, say, a tree strung with lights against a dark background and intentionally wanted tons of little artifact lights all around, though.

Well you’re perfectly at liberty to believe that. Personally I’m pretty sure someone has intentionally tried something just like that, and lots of other creative choices using lens flares, bokeh, and other lighting artifacts. Hence my advocacy for the user to decide if they want the decision to rest with them. :)

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Personally I’m pretty sure someone has intentionally tried something just like that, and lots of other creative choices using lens flares, bokeh, and other lighting artifacts. Hence my advocacy for the user to decide if they want the decision to rest with them. :)
Certainly, and I’d actually like to see a photo where someone used that to their benefit! Anyway, even if it’s not available any longer in Apple’s Camera app, I’m sure an enterprising developer will make sure it’s an option in theirs!

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Can I just get a toggle to turn off all this deep fusion whatever that jacks up my photos? Is that too much?

Before you say "proRAW" I turned that on, it still messes up the picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.