MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

011445-500x_screencap_2010-04-23_at_12.21.14_pm.jpg

It should be obvious by now that Apple is planning on integrating a front-facing camera in its next-generation iPhone. The natural use for such a feature is video conferencing. Apple has had numerous references to the unannounced feature in its past iPhone firmware releases, and iPhone 4 SDK Beta 2 is no different.

011106-vc.jpg

Apple, however, is becoming less shy about the feature with a new set of status/error strings that have been found detailing various video conferencing states. Interesting to see is that it appears iPhones will have to be registered for video conferencing.

ACCOUNT_NOT_REGISTERED_MESSAGE = "This device has not been registered for video conferencing.";
The text files also contain the usual error messages involving lost calls or disconnected calls, as well as networking issues. What's interesting to note though is that at this time there are no error messages related to 3G or cellular connections, while there are several error messages related to Wi-Fi connectivity issues:
IMAVCHAT_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_NO_REMOTE_WIFI = "The video call could not connect because a remote Wi-Fi connection could not be established.";
IMAVCHAT_DISCONNECTED_NO_LOCAL_WIFI = "The video call disconnected because the local Wi-Fi connection was lost.";
We're not sure if that is significant or not, but many had hoped that video conferencing would be allowed over 3G networks.

Finally, it appears Apple will be integrating the Video Conferencing feature with its new Game Center. It appears players may be able to chat or coordinate calls with fellow Game Center participants. Several status messages relate to Apple's social gaming system:
IMAVCHAT_ERROR_NO_SUCH_PLAYER_ID = "No Such Player ID";
IMAVCHAT_ERROR_NO_SUCH_ACHIEVEMENT = "No Such Achievement";
IMAVCHAT_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_GAME_DESCRIPTION_HEADERS = "Unrecognised Game Descriptor Headers";
IMAVCHAT_ERROR_NO_SUCH_GAME = "No Such Game";

Article Link: Latest iPhone SDK Beta 2 Offers More Video Chat Evidence with Possible Game Center Integration

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I predict video chat will be allowed over 3G where the carrier allows it. Every other carrier in the world will...except for AT&T.

Still waiting for tethering...a year later.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I think the Giz stolen iPhone told us that iChat like functionality a definate yes. :)

Comment

jamone13

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I predict video chat will be allowed over 3G where the carrier allows it. Every other carrier in the world will...except for AT&T.

Still waiting for tethering...a year later.

I agree. Why does Apple not tell AT&T that they WILL offer all the features of the device if they want to keep the ability to sell iPhones?

Comment

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Can't wait to upgrade from my EDGE iPhone to the iPhone that's coming this summer.

Comment

ooberpongo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Of course no Videochat over 3G

Anyone ever tried Video over 3G? As its circuit switched with max 64kbit/s the quality always sucks.

With WiFi you can possibly get higher resolution and better quality.

Comment

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Switching cameras...

It would be cool if you could switch from the forward facing camera to the rear facing camera during video chats so you could show people 'stuff' while watching their reaction.:)

Comment

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Where ATT is fully upgraded, they have far better service than sprint or Verizon or anyone else. Where they are not, no comment.

I think ATT should geographically limit service. If you are in a full service area, you can tether, chat or set up useless feedback loops just to waist bandwidth. If you are in a less upgraded location, some services may be limited. They could also limit services by time of day and network conditions.

Just a thought.

Comment

iWonderwhy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
It's just so awkward that the iPhone will have a front facing camera for video conferencing and the current iPad (which is more suitable for it) will not. I just don't get this one..:confused:

Comment

Garion

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark, Europe
It would be cool if you could switch from the forward facing camera to the rear facing camera during video chats so you could show people 'stuff' while watching their reaction.:)

Agree. In fact I would say that this feature would make the whole idea about video chat a lot more appealing to me. I've never been sold on the idea of being able to watch a jumping and bouncing video of somebody's nostrils while chatting *s*

Comment

wigby

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
videocamera not just for chat but also for games

why does everyone assume a second camera will be used for ichat videoconferencing? that's fine but the bandwidth requirements will kill an already crippled att network.

and why is no one thinking about the gaming possibilities? this could become a portable, stripped down project natal for apple. why bother with chatting and gamer messages when you can actually use the camera to interface with the game directly? then add in the other camera for augmented reality too.

Comment

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006

Chatroulette iPhone app coming in 3, 2, 1 :D

Comment

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
It's just so awkward that the iPhone will have a front facing camera for video conferencing and the current iPad (which is more suitable for it) will not. I just don't get this one..:confused:

Why is it more suitable for the ipad? The phone is supposed to place the calls and have video conferencing available and portable, it's not as if video resolutions are that great, If you want video conferencing every mac on the planet nowadays can do that, and every pc for that matter, why would you need a separate ipad for it? On the iphone on the other hand you have portability which is an added feature for video calls.

Besides the ipad is a gen 1 product and apple has gone, way, way, way, down in price to the extent no one has yet to match them with their vapourware. They had to sacrifice something didn't they? And the sacrificed the least used feature, by all accounts on most macs, let alone phones, the camera conferencing, which is anyway available in all these devices. But Gen 2 is going to get it for sure.

Remember apple is not in the business of adding everything and the kettle to make their devices attractive, they are into taking steady well implemented steps, so when they do have a feature it works very well, rather than shoddily..

Comment

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Prediction at the Keynote: Scott Forestall on stage talking about iChat. Everyone gets excited. Then he goes to the slide of supported carriers. AT&T not listed. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm fine with video chat being available over strictly WiFi. AT&T's network struggles enough already in densely populated areas.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
And you people are surprised that AT&T won't allow video calls why? I bet they get this internationally while we wait around in the U.S. for it to get activated, just like MMS. It probably has to be registered because it probably won't work with your existing phone number at first, requiring additional account setup, as it only works over WIFI. Either that or it's checking to see if your carrier supports it?

Comment

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Not surprised they would allow it over WiFi only... AT&T can barely handle my voice calls, video calling would destroy their network.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.